Next Gen Thunderbolt Displays

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Aco Strkalj, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Aco Strkalj macrumors member

When are they coming out? I'm looking to buy 2 thunderbolt displays. I would hate to buy them now and find out the new ones come out a few months down the road. Let me know. If anyone knows.

2. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

The original was released in September 2011, so we're closing in on the one year mark and the average replacement is just over a year.

I'd hazard a guess Apple will not update it until 27" "retina" panels are available, so I could see a release in conjunction with the 27" "retina" iMac. I expect it would move from USB2 to USB3 at that time, as well.

That being said, I don't know if anyone has a 5120×2880 27" panel in development, much less production.

3. amarcus macrumors 6502

My advice would be to wait a few months for the iMac refresh. If the new iMac's gain a retina display then I would take that as a given that a new Thunderbolt display can't be far behind. Right now Apple's plans are just a little to ambiguous for my liking.

Adam

4. Aco Strkalj thread starter macrumors member

A retina Cinema display is just crazy talk. I doubt that will be out in a while. What I do hope they do is include some faster I/O and remove the unnecessary ones and include a MagSafe 2 power cable. I don't like the idea of having to use a adapter to connect to my Air. I also hope for a thinner design because I think Apple could do better. The current Cinema displays are too bulky I think.

5. LionHeart717 macrumors newbie

I don't know when they're coming out, but I would love it if the next iteration was 30" with a 2560x1600 resolution. HDMI, DVI, and USB 3.0 ports wouldn't hurt either.

6. throAU, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012

throAU macrumors 601

throAU

This.

i'm not sure there's much in the way of video hardware that could drive a retina display of that size, certainly not with any degree of speed.

At 220ppi, you're talking something up near 5184x3240 or close to it. thats 16.7 million pixels. over 3x as many as the retina mbp video processor needs to drive.

It will happen eventually sure, but i don't think video hardware (certainly not the mid-lower end stuff apple typically use) is good enough just yet.

Plug your HD3000 or brand new HD4000 equipped macbook air into one of those and it will choke :D

I expect a minor spec bump with USB3 ports and not much else for now. Maybe a magsafe 2 connector or adapter in the box...

7. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

I thought that a desktop cinema display would not need to be such high pixel density because you sit further away from it than you do the iphone, etc? ?

8. plucky duck macrumors 6502

Would 1.5x current resolution be doable with current technology?

9. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Asking in a web forum if someone "knows" when an update of a particular Apple product is coming out is a bit pointless. No one "knows".

That said, I would not expect any updates to TB display for a couple of years. If you are in need of displays - get it now.

10. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

The HD4000 can handle multiple 4K video streams so I would expect it can render a 5120×2880 27" display.

And if the HD3000 can drive two 2560x1440 27" displays, it should be able to drive a single 5120×2880 display.

With the scaling technology Apple debuted with the MacBook Air Retina Edition, yes.

11. Aco Strkalj thread starter macrumors member

I think we would see a MacBook Air with Retina display before we see a Cinema display with one. Which, realistically, means that we might see one 1-2 years from now.

I'm sure it will happen. But not anytime soon. We'll eventually approach 1600p and 1800p video formats, if not bigger, as storage and bandwidth costs go down. And that will require retina displays for the best quality. It just sucks that great technology takes time... :)

12. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

Should double check your math. 4k is typically taken to mean 4x 1920x1080 which is 3840x2160. Similarly 5120x2880 is 4x the pixels of 2560x1440 so whether or not HD3000 can drive 2x is moot.

13. N0ddie macrumors 6502

N0ddie

I hope the refresh (if there is one) has usb3 over usb2. Will be using it as a second display for my current 27" iMac. Really looking forward to getting one.

14. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

Correct. Many displays are already "Retina." They're just not labeled by Apple as such.

Maybe the next gen will have a slight resolution bump. USB 3.0 will undoubtedly be there. Hoping FW800 stays. Hoping 3.5mm audio in shows up as well. Thinner would be nice.

15. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

What are these "unnecessary" ports that they should remove? Ethernet and firewire ports are one of the big selling points of this monitor to the pro users.

I guess that's sort of the point, though. Apple now has more customers who are offended that someone else might use a feature they don't, than they have customers who would use those features.

16. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

I dunno about that. My laptop sits on my desk at the same distance as my external display (when running dual head).

And whether or not it can drive it in non-openGL scenarios is one thing... having users try and run games, etc on it is another.

Apple aren't in the business of telling people "you can't play games when plugged into this!".

it should "just work". At the moment, it won't.

17. Tanax macrumors 6502a

Perhaps a 1080p FaceTime camera and USB 3.
    I doubt we'll see a retina version of the display but I'm at least hoping for those two! :)

18. seetheforest macrumors member

I'm just hoping they reduce the glare as they did with the Retina Macbook Pro or even improve upon that further...

19. Aco Strkalj, Jun 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2012

Aco Strkalj thread starter macrumors member

I have a feeling we'll just see faster I/Os and that Apple will disappoint us.

As stated before, I really hope to see a thinner profile. Reduced glare by building the LCD into the unit as they've done on the Pro. Better LCD quality for greater saturation and accurate colors. And of course the obvious I/O bumps.

20. innominato5090 macrumors 6502

innominato5090

IMO a new "retina" cinema display will be out when intel launches thunderbolt 2.0: current thunderbolt technology is able to carry just 10 Gbps while a 5120x2880, 24 bit, 60Hz display needs roughly 21 Gbps (5120 px * 2880 px * 24 bit/px * 60 Hz)

so don't expect it to be released anytime soon.

21. HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

Isn't already out?Isn't the Thunderbolt Chip here ,the Cactus Ridge one?
    Look here
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1384012

22. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

I'd put my money on a simple bump up to USB 3.0 and Magsafe 2 whenever the iMacs are refreshed, in a month maybe, or later in the year. A 3840x2160 screen would be lovely (5120x2880's not going to happen), but I don't think it'll be soon.

23. Aco Strkalj thread starter macrumors member

Highly unlikely for the resolution to change. That will be the same. The only thing to look forward to is a new build architecture and the obvious IO bumps.

If you own a 2012 MBA and a 27" Cinema Display, can you tell me if you're experiencing ANY problems when connecting the two? Do you notice ANY lag? When moving windows. When playing with the bouncy scroll on content heavy pages (lots of text (wiki) and images). General fluidness.

Let me know if it is as smooth as you see it on the 13" MBA display or if you notice some lag. I really hate that.

24. JayMBP macrumors regular

I simply don't think there's any panel out there within Apple's current TBD price range that can achieve 4k (3840x2160) let alone 5120x2880.

Viewsonic demo'd a 4k display targeting pros that's expect to cost about a price of a car.

Even with Apple's ability to subsidize production so it could lower the price, there's simply very few vendors out there with capabilities to produce such panel.

I think we won't be seeing 4k (which is more realistic) TBD until maybe another year or two. But I do think TBD would get a USB3.0 refresh.

25. Aco Strkalj thread starter macrumors member

Why are people still talking about retina display on the iMac and TBD? It simply won't happen. Move on. Don't even get your hopes up for a few years.

Anyone notice any lag when connecting an 27 inch cinema display to the air? Any whatsoever?