Next generation camera in iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SimplyGrand, Apr 11, 2009.

1. SimplyGrand macrumors newbie

We all know the camera in the iPhone is weak. This is somewhat surprising, given Apple's heritage in the digital imaging space. Also, the iPhone is the perfect device for image capture, given its screen and connectivity options.

Compare iPhone's camera to a few other cell phones (that are also good full-featured phones):
    - Nokia N82 with 5MP, integrated full Xinon Flash, full-motion video, etc.
    - Samsung models with 5+MP, OPTICAL zoom, real flash, full video, etc.

Questions:
    1- When will iPhone add a flash?
    2- When will iPhone add optical zoom?
    3- Will the next camera be 3.2MP or 5MP?
    4- Front-facing camera (does anybody care or really use them anyway)?
    5- Which of the above features is most important?

2. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

1- Probably never, as I can't see it being done in a way which looks good. I did see an idea about the flash being a ring around the camera, but i don't know how that would affect the image (also i doubt it would be anywhere near powerful enough to be worthwhile).
    2- Also probably never. I just don't see it being a move Apple would make anytime soon.
    3- I'd say 3.2, judging by what's been said in this forum. A lot of people here seem to know what they're talking about and they seem to think thats the way to go, with a larger sensor and lens (sorry if I get the specifics wrong).
    4- I have never used this feature on any other phone I've had, but a lot of people seem to want/need it. This is where Apple is a little unpredictable, but I seem to remember something about a hint to an iChat app popping up a while ago in the coding... someone help me out here?
    5- #3

3. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

1- I dunno
    2- nobody knows
    3- who knows
    4- email Jobs
    5- none of above, want autofocus instead.

4. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

I didn't want a front facing camera before because I've had them in the past and never used them for calling anyone. I think I'd need HD video stream quality to ever bother with video calls. Then someone suggested that it could be used in apps similar to EyeToy and the like. I think that'd be a bigger motivation for Apple to introduce it at some point than iChat would be. That doesn't mean I think that they'd do it at this point in time.

Anyway, in regards to the next phone, I'd prefer that they finally include one decent camera rather than worrying about how to fit in a second one.

5. SimplyGrand thread starter macrumors newbie

Flash

I currently have a Nokia N82, and the photo quality is awesome. With a real flash integrated, and 5MP, there's no reason to carry a separate camera. And even better, it automatically uploads the photos and video clips to my online storage service wirelessly. This camera is over 18 months old already, and the phone is small. So integrating a real flash is a good idea, and worthwhile.

What about making the white apple logo on the iPhone be the flash?

Any other ideas how this could (or might) be done in a way that's aligned with the apple way of doing things?

6. kits macrumors member

I wish the new iPhone OS has some background process allowed like uploading at least. If the camera gets better in the new iPhone what is the point if we have to leave an app open to upload the pictures? They should come up with some OS level of background uploads. Well, I am sure it won't happen for at least another year.

If only the N series phones get their silly call logs issue fixed along with built in smart dialing function. Those two can get me to grab on N86 as I enjoyed using Nokia Vine briefly.

7. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I've got a feeling that Apple will leave the camera alone! I'd not be surprised if Apple were looking into more "interesting" developments for the iPhone than a revised camera...

Admittedly, the existing camera is not very sensitive sans flash, therefore being best suited to good lighting conditions etc. However, providing these limitations are taken into account, in the right hands, it is capable of quite good results. Good enough to be sent via email, MMS (later! ;)) or viewed in-camera. Surely, if you want to take a "proper" photograph - what's wrong with using a "proper" camera! :)

8. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Ah Apple needs to put a 12.1 MP camera with auto focus and a Xenon Flash on it plus optical zoom.

I mean Sony did it, why can't apple? :rolleyes: