Next generation iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ipedro, Dec 12, 2011.

1. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

I'm a photographer looking to rethink my editing station setup.

Right now I have a 17" MacBookPro. I do my photo sorting and rating in the field but then work on each image in my studio. I show prospective clients who I meet in person my portfolio on my iPhone 4.

My new setup will be an iPad 3 (if it has a Retina Display as rumoured) for sorting and rating in the field and to show clients my portfolio and an iMac with as large as a screen as I can get for editing in my studio.

I've never owned a desktop Mac before -- just a series of Powerbooks and MacBookPro's -- so I'm not in touch with the iMac release schedule and upcoming rumours.

It seems that the iMac is due for a redesign. Any rumours of this? When would we usually expect a new iMac to be released?

2. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

I don't expect to see anything until at least march. I haven't read any rumors about a redesign of the iMac, just the Mac Pro.

3. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

I've been looking into the Mac Pro as well, but I don't think I need that kind of power. Apparently Apple thinks the same thing and the next generation iMac may take the reins as a pro workstation.

My rationale on waiting until the next generation iMac is that the Pro is painfully due for an update. Either Apple updates it or discontinues it releases a next generation iMac to take over.

4. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

This is a controversial idea because old timers don't want to let go of the Mac, but I think that a "desktop iPad" could be the next generation iMac. The form factor would be a 20" to 27" iPad like device that sits on the desk at a shallow angle ideal for a touch interface.

Inspired by the 1999 Cinema Display, it could have a kick stand on the back for upright viewing:

[​IMG]

... but it would sit most of the time on its back for comfortable extended use.

What OS would it run? Lion or iOS? Many new design cues in Lion such as full screen apps, LaunchPad and gestures show that Apple is interested in porting OSX for touch. The proliferation of the Magic TrackPad lends to that trend as well.

Steve Jobs said that there would always be "trucks" but that "cars" would take over. Could an oversized iPad like iMac become the truck of the computer world and the iPad, iPhones and iPods the cars?

5. warvanov macrumors 6502a

The iMac hasn't changed much in the last 5-7 years. I wouldn't expect a major redesign any time soon, to be honest. The current iMac will be due for a refresh in about two months or so but I wouldn't expect to see much more than a processor bump. If you need it now then grab one. Otherwise wait until March or so.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac

6. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

My new setup depends on an iPad and I'm not getting one until they have a high resolution display so I'll be buying an iMac when the iPad 3 is launched. Hopefully the new iMac will be out by then.

7. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I think that you will like the iMac/iPad combo. I am going to refresh my combo when both are released in '12.

8. leman macrumors 604

This won't happen any soon, and I hope - never. Apple already stated that they do not think much off touch interface in larger computers - illustrated by the fact that they are offering excellent trackpads as an alternative. Touch-enabled tables is a great thing, touch-enabled computer monitor is an ergonomic nightmare quickly leading to fatigue and tendon inflammation.

I can imagine a ultra-thin iMac based on a mobile CPU again, but the usability of such a device would be very limited as it won't have the power for any advanced application. Maybe it would be enough for people *just* doing light photo editing or *just* working with office documents, but that's it. I like to have some flexibility with my software (and OS X excels at it - iOS doesn't).

9. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

Fatigue and tendon inflammation results from holding your hands up against a display perpendicular to the the table. What I anticipate happening is a device that lies on its back on the table at a slight angle, like a touch enabled table. You would use it just as comfortably as you use your iPad.

As I said, Apple is leaving an increasingly large trail of clues that it is adopting a touch interface in OSX.

Steve Jobs was known to deny things that Apple was preparing to release. i.e. "We're not getting into the phone business" and then proceeds to saying what is wrong about the current approach. Apple then releases a device in that category that they denied getting into and shows it can be done better.

HP and Dell sell touch displays but it's a gimmick because the OS is not meant for touch and the screen sits exactly as it would if it weren't a touch device -- not very comfortable for any extended use.

Reinvent the device from the ground up: an iPad with enough power and screen real estate to run professional grade apps that you can directly manipulate with your fingers or a capacitive pen. Hold up the screen in a traditional position with a kick stand and add a physical wireless keyboard for extended typing.

10. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

Now that I have a retina display iPad, my new workflow is half complete. While the iPad has replaced most of my need for a MacBookPro, on the other side of the scale, I still need a powerful desktop with a large screen for video and photo editing. Enter the new iMac.

Is the time ripe for a next generation iMac or will yet another feature update be on the horizon? The iMac is a beautiful machine but it's remained generally unchanged since the introduction of the current form factor in 2004.

I think that the perfect opportunity for an all new iMac will be pairing its launch with Mountain Lion. Nonetheless, if Apple is planning on a large iPad-like desktop as alluded to earlier in this thread, Mountain Lion may be the precursor to the next generation of OSX with touch fully built in so we may yet need to wait until 2013 for the next generation iMac.

11. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Feels like this year's is newest CPU, GPU, USB3, and maybe SSD standard in top-end, in the same case. Expect Retina next year, probably with ODD removal and some other design changes.

If you think they're building a 27" iPad on a stand, you're nuts. If you want to use one, you're nuts. :p

12. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

The 2012 imac will not be touch enabled in any way. Mountain lion is not ready designed for that. Macs will be touch capable when iOS and OS X merge completely.

That being said, Intel is announcing Ivy Bridge next week so vendors will start announcing new computers soon. Apple's earning call is also next week, that could give hints as to what to expect of new iMac's. The rumored GPU for the iMac, the 7970, should be out next week as well so new iMac are due out probably in May.

Nothing touch enabled. Apple will not wait for Mountain Lion to be ripe before releasing hardware. Similar to what they did last summer.

13. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

"Nothing touch enabled. Apple will not wait for Mountain Lion to be ripe before releasing hardware. Similar to what they did last summer."

Finally someone agrees with me on that, I don't know why article news and members here think that Apple would wait for late summer to show new macs. Makes no sense wait time wise nor profit wise.

14. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

iMac is overdue for a refresh.

15. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

yes it is over due, almost the year mark. the longest iMac wait in a long time if not ever. however, it was held up due to ivy bridge hold up and likely AMD gpu. I see both a 15" mbp & iMac coming from next week into May.

16. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I agree. Not going to wait for Mountain Lion, and this Tuesday is Apple's quarterly earnings call, so once thats over with, it's fair game.

17. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

I agree the refresh is overdue. It has also been one of the longest periods without a design change. I wonder if we will get that as well?

I'm not too worried about a form factor change, but would like to see an end to the glossy screens. The rumoured anti-reflective coating would potentially give the best of glossy and matte combined, so I'm really hoping for that.