Next generation iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by liberty1, Dec 16, 2010.

1. liberty1 macrumors newbie

Do we knew when the next generation of iPad is due out and what new or additional features it will have?

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Lots of rumors, but they generally put the release sometime between late January and April.

Possible changes according to some of the repeating rumors:

- Higher resolution display (questionable, unless maybe they just increase DPI by shrinking the screen a bit)

- Lighter/Thinner/Maybe Smaller (Steve Jobs says that 7" tablets aren't any good, so probably no 7" iPad, at least not this soon)

- Facetime camera on the front (very likely, since they added it to the iPod touch)

- Photo/Video camera on the back (maybe, the iPod touch got one too)

- Faster processor (Maybe dual core?)

- More RAM (the current iPad has half the RAM of the iPhone 4 and the iPod touch 4)

- A 3G version that works with both AT&T and Verizon

Again nothing is certain, but those are the points I've seen come up repeatedly.

3. gatearray macrumors 65816

I think the 4th gen iPod Touch has 256mb, as well. The iPhone 4 is the only iOS device with 512mb.

4. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

I don't think a rear facing camera on the iPad would work, its just too awkward to take photos with. I think it'll definitely have a front facing camera so it can join the FaceTime Family though.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

It wouldn't be useful for photography, but maybe for augmented reality?

6. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Not sure they'd bother for that.

7. Kees Braam macrumors newbie

According to some people the second generation iPad is coming this month!:) Let's hope so. I'd like to see a few new features:

- Retina display (it is truly amazing on the iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4G)
    - Faster processor and more RAM (for example: Epic Citadel. What will iOS games look like in a year? Will the first generation still be able to handle these kind of graphics that well?)
    - Front and back camera (just to match up with the iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4G).

8. Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

When the 2nd gen iPad is released, will the 1st gen iPad still be in stock and get a price drop?

I'm planning on the getting the 1st gen, but at a cheaper price, cause $499 is just too much for me.

9. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

Reatina display can be anything apple wants it to be, because they invented it.
    But I doubt the new model will have retina display because the processor would have to pull much to hard for it.