Next Generation Iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sonex, Sep 14, 2008.

1. sonex macrumors member

I haven't found/read any rumors regarding the new iphone which will probably be released next year...

What new features do you think will be included to make the phone even better..

The only ones i can think of are:
    -A 5mp camera
    -Better battery (again)
    -More colors for casing

Do you think they will release something revolutionary with the new iphone or just these minor upgrades to the current.

I would imagine that the biggest hit with software 3.0 will be copy/paste or video recorder.

2. thewireman macrumors regular

thewireman

Apple prolly won't update it for a while now since they just updated the iPhone to 3G network and few new stuff. I would think they would upgrade their storage, like up to 32GB or even maybe 64GB.

Thats what I think.

3. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Why wouldn't they upgrade the phone? They put out the 3G a year after the 1st Gen was released.

4. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I had the opportunity to play with the new iPod Touch today. I wonder when the iPhone will be THAT thin? It really is magnificent.

Two years from now...
    Screen occupies entire surface area of iPhone
    As thin as the 1G iPod Touch
    Double battery life of 1G iPhone
    At least 5 colors to choose from

5. aluren macrumors 65816

i think there won't be anything revolutionary either. it'll just be the same iPhone with new features and some minor aesthetic changes - thinner, more space, more color, better screen resolution, etc... which is ok to me since the iPhone is an awesomely designed phone and i don't think apple should deviate from it for at least another 2 years.

6. chris1016 macrumors member

Next iPhone...

Release: Summer '09
    More RAM for faster apps! This may have been fixed in 2.1 but the iPhone could use more RAM.
    More storage.
    More (1 more?) color. I wouldn't expect colors like the nano.
    Better camera (3-5mp?).
    Small design tweaks.
    Nike+ integration, like the new iPod touch.
    Doubt it: front-facing camera for video conferencing.

16GB, Black or White: $199 ($149?)
    32GB, Black, White or (RED): $299 ($249?)

7. Inukami macrumors 6502

hmm i dont know, something tells me that they will release a new version in the same period of the first gen~second gen.

8. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

That sounds about right.

Dont imagine apple bringing out as many colours as the nano for the iPhone. Maybe if they bring out a iPhone nano they will make it in more colours but the iPhone in more colours will make it look like a kids toy IMO!

9. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

because 4G won't be ready for at least another 2 years. there will be only minor changes for the next iphone if any in the next two years. they will improve upon the 3G until 4G is up and running. My 2 cents

10. Inukami macrumors 6502

Yeah thats what i think also.

I don't really see the point of doing any hardware updates besides cosmetic without 4G.

11. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Silly. 4G won't be available for years and no handset maker is going to wait to design new phones until it's ready. The 3G is hardly an upgrade at all with respect to the hardware. All they had to do was throw in a 3G chip and GPS antenna - the same things other phones have had for months. Apple is lagging behind the competition and they will need to release a new model to catch up on all the features the iPhone lacks and is criticized for. This will be especially true as more touch screen phones are released, such as the BlackBerry Thunder.

Next July will see the new model called the "iPhone Video". It will have:

-Better camera
    -Video recording and MMS (yes, these are software upgrades, and no, they won't be coming until the next model is released)
    -Specially designed chipset (more RAM and more efficient processing)
    -AD2P enabled bluetooth that can be used with the iPod app, not just the phone app
    -5 port audio jack as in the new touch
    -more flash memory - of course

Additionally, there are hardware features that will be required to make it a competitive business smartphone. So we are left with the possibilities that they will release a single model with everything, or release two distinct models - one that is minimalistic like what we have now to cater to casual users, and another business oriented phone with extra hardware for functionality:

-External LED indicators for mail, voicemail, etc.
    -1+ additional hardware buttons. This can add all sorts of functionality such as a camera shutter button, user customizable actions, activate hands-free dialing, etc. Also, a touch-screen-only solution to copy and paste is just not practical. Either way, more button are coming to the iPhone, mark my words.
    -Removable battery. Ask anyone who needs a business phone and they will tell you they need a removable battery. I can easily see Apple sacrificing flash memory for this on a business model.

Personally I predict that if two distinct models are not unveiled simultaneously next summer, a new model will be announced first quarter 2010 geared towards business users.

12. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

Since the 3g was subsidized and all the buyers will be locked to the phone for at least 18 months i say it'll come out in 2 years. As for 4g, dont count on it, 3g in this country is still largely on the drawing board, and is more of a promise than a reality, at least for AT&T. With that said my predictions are..

Video
    Higher resolution camera
    bigger screen
    thinner
    better battery (since better tech is already close to realization)
    wireless sync
    I wouldn't expect turn by turn GPS on the current 3g phone
    more colors (even though i wouldn't go for anything aside from black)

13. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

This is business, people. The portion of their target consumers who are locked into a subsidized 3G contract AND who will not be eligible for an upgrade next summer AND will not be willing to pay full price for the upgraded model represent a small portion of the market Apples wants. They want new customers that aren't using the iPhone yet and they are not going to wait. Will 3G users who can't get subsidized pricing next year be a little sour? Probably. Will they be so disgruntled as to stop using the iPhone? Hardly.

Also keep in mind that any single phone line $99.99 and up is eligible for an upgrade every 12 months, quite reasonable for many customers when you factor in voice, data, and text plans.

14. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

12 months yes but not necessarily at the lowest 2 years signing price

15. blouis79 macrumors member

16. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Next gen iPhone probably wont come up till the 2nd half of 2009 since Apple will have Mac OS 10.6 to look into and the iPhone doesnt require any major new upgrades being updated to the new 3G network just recently....

17. nima macrumors member

nima

i bet no one even knows what there talking about

18. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

haha. That is why this is a "rumors" site. Although this thread happeneds to be an opinion thread on a "rumors" site, so really anything goes. And you are right none of us are Apple techs and no one here is going to have a definite answer.

19. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I always doubted Apple would release an iPhone this soon after the first one, but i was wrong.

I think it's safe to say we are going to see yearly updates to the iPhone. The iPhone may seem new now still, but come spring people are going to be become picky again because some new phone has this and that. I'm pretty sure we will see a better camera in the iPhone, a slimmer design, with a nice silver back, as well as a 32GB option.

20. nima macrumors member

nima

are you sure about that? although it could be a rumor the only reason why people think that is because it sounds to go well with all of apple products. never be an early adopter with them. i mean this is all just a hypothesis but we can always test it out we just need time.

21. sh0ckerturb0 macrumors member

sh0ckerturb0

i hope apple uses higher quality build materials in the next version. i would personally love to see a brushed aluminum back in order to avoid the nasty fingerprints and scratches. or at least something not so damn glossy!

22. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

But existing iPhone owners can upgrade before that time.

How exactly does that work, say another iPhone comes out 6 months after you buy an iPhone 3G, are you eligible for upgrade?

snverhallen

23. DaZe3 macrumors member

24. xyion1 macrumors regular

If you purchased a subsidized 3G iPhone (199/299) you will not be eligible for another subsidized purchase for 18 months, using your AT&T "new-every-2" upgrade.

2G iphone could upgrade to the 3G iphone since they paid an unsubsidized price (599 or 399 depending).

If Apple/AT&T allows, you should be able to purchase the next-gen iPhone at an unsubsidized price, which will probably be $499 or $599.