Next Generation Mac Pro Video Card?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Topper, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

Correct me if I am wrong.
    The next generation mac pro will have:
    A Stoakley platform.
    A Seaburg chipset.
    The processor will be code-named Wolfdale DP for the quad-core Mac Pro.
    The processor will be code-named Harpertown for the 8-core Mac Pro.

The next generation Mac Pro will support PCI Express 2.0.
    Any idea what video cards will be available for PCIe 2.0?
    I know Nvidia is coming out with their nForce 7-series chipsets.
    What video cards would coincide with nForce 7-series chipsets?
    How about ATI?
    I haven't heard of them releasing a PCIe 2.0 video card in the near future.

I know that PCI Express 2.0 is backwards compatible with PCI Express 1.1.
    Therefore older video cards can work with PCI Express 2.0.
    But wouldn't it make sense to bring out a video card that is PCIe 2.0 compatible?

2. LeviG macrumors 65816

nobody knows exactly what is coming in the next mac pro. One thing for certain is that the chipsets will be intel, not nvidia or ati.

PCIe 2.0 is useless, even PCIe 1 is not fully saturated.

3. pengu macrumors 6502a

um. you contradicted yourself in the first 15 words.

three years ago we "knew for certain" that apple was not going to release Intel powered machines.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

While great for consumers, it would be very in keeping with Apple's mentality to only offer 8 core Mac Pros.

It's far too early for this sort of information, I'm sure there will be plenty of information before Apple start shipping Mac Pros based on Stoakley though.

5. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Useless... Wow.

http://www.pcisig.com/news_room/PCIe2_0_Spec_Release_FINAL2.pdf

It offers more than increased bus things like improvements on the current spec. Try to educate yourself before you label something as useless.

6. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

According to this article

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199700659

NVidia have demonstrated a PCIe 2 graphics card.

And as with previous discussion about seaburg... Apple can't "bring out" seaburg or PCIe 2 stuff. It has to wait for the respective vendors, eg Intel or Nvidia to introduce it. If they are lucky they may get new things before everyone else, eg Apple getting the Xeon X5365 a few weeks before everyone else. So there's no point really in asking why don't bring forward this or that with new tech.

7. Topper thread starter macrumors 65816

Topper

My point is that no one is talking about PCI Express 2.0.
    I am pretty certain that the next Mac Pro will support PCI Express 2.0.
    I've heard rumors about ATI Radeon X2800XT with CrossFire being a BTO card for the next Mac Pro.
    The Radeon X2800XT will work but it is not PCI Express 2.0.
    I am enquiring if there are any rumors about the next Mac Pro using a PCI Express 2.0 video card.

8. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

Well if the next Mac Pro uses Seaburg/Stoakley then of course it will support PCIe2. Whether Nvidia/ATI have a PCIe 2 graphics card in time... well thats not really something Apple can control is it?

9. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

For the graphics cards I am predicting:
    nVidia GeForce 8800GTX, ATI Radeon HD X2900 XT, nVidia Quadro FX 5500 and the stock card will be some low end mid nnVidia 8xxx series card.

10. Topper thread starter macrumors 65816

Topper

I admit that I would kill for those cards even though they are not PCIe 2.0

11. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

I would kill for ANY card better than what they have now.
    Apple has surprised me with every new release thus far. So I have no clue what they will do next. It surely will be better though.
    :)

12. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I think alot of people are going to be in for dissapointment when the new GPUS come. I can see Apple skipping the high end 8000 series cards and resting on the 2900XT for it's price, the slot it occupies in the high end cards, and it's HD playback features, Intel having Crossfire but not SLI licenses. The FX4600 is the most likely quadro card, similar price to the 4500 with better performance. Low end is likely to be an 8300GT, though perhaps if any of the ATi 2000 series cards come in at the same wattage they may be stock due to the HD capabilities, I could even see the 7300GT remaining (people have to have something to complain about right? :rolleyes: ). Of course if Apple can get over the fact that people don't need to be spoon feed choice and are willing to make drivers for more cards then we could see a broader range. Though I'm sure the numbers indicate those willing to buy the top high end gaming cards are in such a small minority they won't bother with them.

13. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

They would do better to put even an 8800GTS in there over the Radeon HD 2900XT. It's cheaper and performs better than the HD 2900XT. Oh, and it was proven there are no HD playback features (decoding/whatever) in the 2900. There was a huge article on it. Those features will be present on the 2600/2400 series.

14. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

I'd have to agree with Wild-Bill. The 2900xt has impressive technology on paper (512 bit ring bus, good shaders, etc), but actual RW performance has not been "all that". its a hot, power hungry GPU, and the so called "HD" UVD component turned out to be missing.

Perhaps by the time the new Mac Pro is announced there will be a revised one which swings it back in Ati's favor. Who knows.

15. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

nVidia eats ATI alive with the 8800GTX.

I consider ATI as AMD (How ironic, they own them now heh) and nVidia is Intel in the GPU world.

I wish a 7950GT (At least) was included with the Mac Pro instead of the X1900

16. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Do you have a link to the article?

17. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

18. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Thanks, this had somehow slipped by me. Makes the 2900XT a less attractive offer as the 8800GTSs can be had for cheaper and overclocked. Obviously Apple have the ability to demand things of a company so who knows what will happen. In the end I think the only real GPU option to be certain of is the Quadro FX4600 as senior Nvidia people have hinted at it, and it's a perfectly logical step forward. The base and highend consumer card options are still wide open.

19. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Sure, no problem. Maybe Apple will go pure nVidia for the Mac Pro refresh, maybe not. Since AMD/ATI are in a bit of a financial crisis right now (and are considering outsourcing their CPU fabrication operations) Apple could very well squeeze them to the bone to get the HD 2900XT cheap. I'd really love to see an 8800GTS or 8800GTX in there though.

It's pretty well known that Apple downclocks the 1900XT that's in there now, for heat and noise reduction. And it's not secret that the HD 2900XT consumes alot of power and runs pretty hot. They can save themselves alot of headache by using the 8800 series in the Mac Pro. (fingers crossed).

20. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I agree the 8800 series cards would be the best option for consumers, a 320MB and 640MB 8800GTS and an 8800GTX can easily be a worthy line up, at something like $200, $300 and $500 upgrades. I get the feeling buyers might get jipped with a single offering of a 2900XT because of how Apple approach such things.

21. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

I think they should at least include one ATI Radeon card (ATI Radeon HD X2900 XT or even an ATI Radeon 2600 Pro). I don't think Apple will go all nVidia.
    One more question. What's the difference between nVidia GeForce 8800GTX and nVidia GeForce 8800GTS?

22. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

You could always look it up
    http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce_8800.html

23. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

In that case, they should include the the nVidia GeForce 8800 Ultra instead of nVidia GeForce 8800GTX in the next Mac Pro update.

24. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

maybe you should look up the price and read a few reviews on price/performance before you draw conclusions like that

25. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

I love this "well we don't have anything that can saturate 2.0 yet so it's useless!"

Uh, who buys a mac pro for the short term? What if I want to upgrade to the latest thing 4 years from now? Will pcie2 be useless then?

Are you new to this?