Next Generation MBP (2015)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zionbrian, Dec 26, 2014.

1. zionbrian macrumors newbie

Hi,

Does anyone know what is rumored to be in the pipeline for the next MBP in 2015?

I am looking to purchase a MBP for video editing and was wondering if it would be worth holding out for.

I know tech always improves but I'm just seeing if anyone knows specifically what is rumored.

Thanks in advance!

Brian

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

it's not hard to guess. Intel is releasing their next gen chips that fit in the rmbp, called broadwell, in about june-july 2015. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadwell_(microarchitecture)

Can't believe intel has been so slow. It's going to be something like 21 months in between updates, when in past years it was closer to 12.

3. zionbrian thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!!! This gives me all I need to know!

Take care,

Brian

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Broadwell has been delayed and that means we'll not see a MBP until the summer, though I suspect later since apple doesn't roll out new laptops as soon as intel releases the chipset.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Apple is actually usually pretty quick when the chips they want to use actually start shipping.

The Macbook Air for example was one of the first shipping Haswell notebooks. The retina MBPs had to wait a few months because they needed the Iris/Iris Pro chips.

6. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Roundups

MacBook Pro

Given what's known, I'd describe http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/macbook-pro/ as outdated.

Broadwell

http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/retina-macbook-air/ mentions Broadwell but is potentially confusing in that area; it appears to describe the 12-inch Retina MacBook as a tablet –

– whilst linking to a page about iPad Air 2.

7. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

I agree. Do you think we may see another speed bump/overhaul on the line sometime in the spring if Apple finds out that they cant get Broadwell out until late 3rd quarter?

8. mcarling macrumors 65816

First, Apple have a very good idea when they can reasonably expect to receive suitable Broadwell CPUs in large volumes.

No, I do not expect a second Haswell speed bump. I don't expect Intel to continue releasing newly updated Haswell chips. I expect the MBP line to stay as it is now until about Q3 2015, with the possibility that the vestigial 13" cMBP might be dropped at any time.

9. Xteec macrumors regular

Does anyone have any insight into the GPU side of things?

From what I've gathered, the high end 15-inch rMBP's GPU is getting a bit old and looking at Apple's past behaviour, it is highly unlikely they will do a GPU upgrade before doing the Broadwell refresh.

My position is I need to get something before Feb/Mar 2015, and if nothing is going to change between now and then I will just pull the trigger now.

10. nickyD410 macrumors 6502

nickyD410

I doubt it will have a minor update before feb/march. you might as well pull the trigger.

11. mcarling macrumors 65816

Nothing will change before summer. Now is an excellent time to buy a MBP.

12. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

Since Apple usually refreshes both MBP models at the same time, if you are a 13" user you will have to wait for the 15" parts to become available to upgrade your machine.

Broadwell-U (13" parts) will most likely be revealed next month at CES for an early 2015 release. Broadwell-H will not arrive until the summer, Q2 if we are lucky but chances are slim.

I am also in the market for an upgrade as my 2010 is barely capable of any reasonable video editing but I refuse to buy a two year old chip like I did back in 2010 (when Apple placed an aging Core 2 Duo in the 13" while i5 and i7 were already available).

13. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

If you need it now, buy it now. The jump from the Core2 to the i-series was far for significant architecturally than anything that Broadwell will bring over Haswell.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I disagree, look when Apple updated the MBP line compared to Haswell. There's always been a month or two delay from Intel releasing the chips to when Apple updating their MBP line

15. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I think people here are a bit pessimistic.
    Broadwell was initially sceduled for summer 2014. It got delayed but the Core M series is already out and on CES 2015 Intel says they release the next batch with 17 models. That may still not be all but within the next two month all Broadwell chips should be shipping.
    At least 13" MBA and MBP should see an update fairly soon (next two months).
    15" may take longer though I think the same time frame is possible.
    Summer is late just because Haswell ended up showing up in summer does not mean anything for the next gen. Intel doesn't align their releases with the four seasons.

The question is if 15" gets a new dGPU or Apple has finally decided to only go IGP. Given that the 850M has been out forever and the is twice as fast as the 750M but still hasn't been updated suggests they will ditch dGPUs with Broadwell. Iris Pro 2 should be slightly faster to at least equal to the 750M.

16. mcarling, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014

mcarling macrumors 65816

The 15W Broadwell-U CPUs (suitable for MacBook Air) will be revealed next month at CES. It is not clear whether the 28W Broadwell-U CPUs (suitable for 13" MacBook Pro) will also be revealed next month or whether they will wait until Q2 2015.

17. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

Next Generation MBP (2015)

I hope touch id is included in the update.

18. ctbaz macrumors member

Shouldn't be hard for them. Non Apple Laptops have had them integrated for a while.