Next generation MBP price increase?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rradovitch, Aug 23, 2008.

1. rradovitch macrumors member

I'm still trying to decide if I should buy the current MBP or wait for the next generation that might be released soon. Should I expect an increase in price? This may seem like a stupid question but I don't track this stuff much.

2. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Recent tradition is that Apple does not raise the price of new product refreshes.

Also, Apple has given guidance noting their computer margins will be slipping, which would imply that they are moving to a more expensive platform, but will not raise prices to maintain current margins.

3. rolex54 macrumors 6502

I highly doubt they would raise it
    They really need to lower the price to compete with the rest of the market, you can easily get MBP specs in any other computer for around $1400, but then you have to deal with vista

4. GUILTIE macrumors regular

Exactly. If there's any price change, it will be going down.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

In recent times, the price has remained the same or has been reduced when new products/updates are introduced. Apple has introduced newer versions of models, often pricing them exactly the same as the models they replace, which, in effect, means a reduction in real terms as the consumer tends to "get more bangs for their buck"; the previous models, in turn, are then usually discounted, sometimes quite generously. Cheers.

6. MusicallySilent macrumors member

I would assume no, because if they did raise prices, we would have 2-3 times the "MBP is overpriced, I can get its specs from X for x amount of dollars which is 1/x of its price" They likely know it is expensive to the competition and that people dislike it, if anything, prices would be more likely to go down to compete because it is their only notebook with dedicated card.

7. iMacmatician macrumors 601

The iMacs got more expensive in the high-end lately, and the Mac Pro (Power Mac) used to have a sub-$1999 model. Now there's only one at $2799.

Given these, the MacBooks and MacBook Pros could get more expensive (while the MacBook still retains a low price point). But if they do, they will get much better, given a refresh, a price increase, and Apple's margin reductions.

8. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

If they go above what they are right now I a) won't be buying one and b) will never buy Apple again. I live in Canada and we get pushed around for every little expense a company has. When fuel prices went up, a trip to Pizza Hut yielded a $5 increase over the last time I was there. Funny, I didn't see $5 worth of extra toppings on my pizza. Might not be one of the best examples but we Canadians get gouged for everything it seems.

I trust Apple to release a great product with a great price, as usual.

9. jTreu macrumors 6502

doubtful, unless they do something extreme like make blu-ray standard, otheriwse i see no need for a price increase to keep margins where they need to be.