Next generation of MacBooks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fraaaa, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Fraaaa macrumors 65816

Fraaaa

Hi guys,

I know that there are topics asking what is going to be in the next Mac upgrade all the time, but what I wanted to ask you is more about Steve's "The next generation of MacBooks" quote.

It seems that the Back to the Mac philosophy will not apply just to the Air but will go further on the other laptops series.

I definetely see the HDD disappear from the next gen of MacBooks to give space to the SSD cards.

So far all the MacBook can get up to 500GB HDD and the Pros have also the option up to 512GB SDD.

However even if this is quite predictable I would like to know your opinion on another matter: DVDs.

Will Apple gamble on removing the DVD drive or this could be too early?

2. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I think they are moving towards removing optical drives. Those who do need on will have to go external.

3. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

I do too. Or at least an option to not have an optical drive.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

SSD is still too expensive to replace hard drives. I could see them offering an option, but not giving up on the hard drive entirely. Switching to an external optical drive would be fine in my opinion.

Just try to find a 1TB SSD and compare the price to a 1TB hard drive.

5. Tankfantry macrumors regular

Tankfantry

on the MBA's I can see why they dropped the DVD drive as they're marketing it as a Netbook but MBP's can not afford to lose them just yet. I believe they will stick around for 5-10 more years.

6. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

MBA use only SSD's and they are not extortionately priced! I guess the main cost of the next-gen MBP's will be the 'Sandy Bridge' CPU.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I hope Apple will use this same "SSD card" idea on MBPs to offer SSD + HD combo at reasonable price. Hybrid drives are nice but the selection is way too small and it doesn't give you an option to select what goes to SSD and what goes to HD.

8. Fraaaa thread starter macrumors 65816

Fraaaa

Second thoughts about it:

STORAGE
    primary storage SSD + HDD for extra storage.

However:

On MBA:

add 64GB for £150
    add 128GB for £250

On MBP:

add £40 for 320GB HDD
    add £120 for 500GB HDD

128GB SSD for £280 (cheaper on MBA)
    256GB SSD for £640
    512GB SSD for £1,160

I think that they might be able to ship all MBP with 128GB entry level.
    Maybe they would have two cards slot and have these combinations:
    1x128GB (128GB)
    2x128GB (256GB)
    1x256GB (256GB)
    2x256GB (512GB)

RAM
    At the moment all the MBP are shipped with 4GB with option of 2x4GB(8GB)

£320 for extra 4GB on MBP

£80 for extra 2GB on MBA

I think they will be soldered in the next version so you'll have a 4GB or 8GB non replaceable.

OPTICAL
    I still have a doubt about the DVD Drive as they pulled out the old MBA drive and replaced with another one ment for the MBA. They could have had made a generic name if they would have to drop the DVD Drive off the MBP.

But who knows?

PORTS
    LightPeak if not in this generation maybe the next?

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There is no reason to make MBP as small as MBA. Having even some upgradeability is definitely one of the best things about MBP when compared to MBA. The only reason to solder RAM or other components is to save space but there is no issues with space in MBP.

10. Fraaaa thread starter macrumors 65816

Fraaaa

I agree, however is not just for the form factor itself, I see it more as a concept that Apple want to "introduce" to their user.

Otherwise there was no point for Jobs to say "New generation of MacBooks" thing. Just because of the SSD on a card and not in the case?

Also all the thing at All Things D where "people will get unconfortable" with new technology, I don't see it only related to iPads and such.

Maybe I'm reading TOO MUCH between the lines but I'm expecting that... perhaps the MacBook and not the Pro...

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

Agreed. Non-upgradeable RAM is a downside in most people's eyes. They accept it with the MBA because the other benefits outweigh the disadvantage of no after-purchase memory upgrades. Unless there's a really driving reason to need to do so on the MBP, I highly doubt we'll see a change there; much more likely to see the optical drive moved to an optional external and the HDD moved to a 1.8" version before they'll make the memory non-upgradeable.

12. Fraaaa thread starter macrumors 65816

Fraaaa

I know, but if you think about it you have 4GB or 8GB memory options.

And if 2GB is good for most of users, 4GB is a good amount of RAM generally even for some "power" users, and real power users wouldn't have trouble thinking "4 or 8?" they'll go straight on what they need.

The 1.8" HDD I don't see it much a solution now that there are SSD.

Regarding the soldered argument, I think that may help in cost as well.

I remember I read somewhere that Apple will have a less profit on their future sale, may this be related too?

13. miata macrumors 6502

How about soldered on SSD and the option for a second SSD or HDD? Of course, woud mean no space for the optical. Maybe the optical could be another BTO option for the 15" and 17" which would have the additional space.

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

4GB is the standard today, especially for +1000$ computers. Do you really want to pay Apple's rip off price of 400$ while you can get 2x4GB from aftermarket for as low as 120$? You may be fine with 4GB for now but in few years when 8GB is the standard, I'm sure you want to bump the RAM instead of buying a new 1500$ computer.