Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OneZweiThree

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Bavaria
I just stumbled across this article on anandtech, which states, that thunderbolt 3 won't carry DP 1.3. So does this mean, that the next iteration of the iMac 5k is unlikely to regain the target display mode or could Apple add a dedicated DP 1.3 port to the iMac, which won't be a thunderbolt port?

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9331/intel-announces-thunderbolt-3

Either way, it's an interesting read. :)

Dixie Flatline

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
Note that it says the new standard will be able carry 2 x DP 1.2 connections simultaneously. So if Apple implements Target Display mode in such a way that the 5K iMac can be driven as a multitile display, then it might be feasible. (Not saying they will, just saying that Target Display is still possible with Thunderbolt 3.)

OneZweiThree

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Bavaria
Note that it says the new standard will be able carry 2 x DP 1.2 connections simultaneously. So if Apple implements Target Display mode in such a way that the 5K iMac can be driven as a multitile display, then it might be feasible. (Not saying they will, just saying that Target Display is still possible with Thunderbolt 3.)
But wouldn't they have to actually make it a two tile display to make this work, which would be a huge step backwards, since they now have a single tile display?

The dual DP 1.2 would be good for the dell 5k monitor, which currently uses two separate cables, if I understood correctly.

Dixie Flatline

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
I assume it would involve a bridge chip of some kind, to multiplex two DP 1.2 streams into what looks like a single DP 1.3 stream to the display. I also imagine that the Target Display mode would only be available over Thunderbolt 3. Sounds like it might be more trouble than it's worth, but still seems possible.

aggri1

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
Operating under the assumption that Thunderbolt 3 will use the fancy new slim USB Type-C connectors...
... and the port is therefore a USB Type-C port... (do we expect that USB standards group will allow non-USB use of the port? I doubt it)
... we note that a USB Type-C port allows "alternate modes", including display modes (including DP1.3!).
Therefore, while you might not be able to run DP1.3 through (or over) Thunderbolt, you should be able to just natively run DP1.3 as an alternate mode on your USB Type-C port/cable, assuming the graphics system on the computer can do it.

Therefore, once USB Type-C is on the iMac, I reckon it should have enough bandwidth to allow operating as a display. But I somehow doubt that Apple will enable this (look forward to being surprised).

Cheers, A.

Perhaps the following might be of interest to some:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8558/displayport-alternate-mode-for-usb-typec-announced

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.