Next iMac GPU Update

Discussion in 'iMac' started by willcodejavafor, Oct 7, 2011.

1. willcodejavafor macrumors regular

Hi all,

Just curious. Does anyone have an idea which GPU would go into the next iMac refresh, whenever that happens?

:)

2. Cygnus311, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

Cygnus311 macrumors regular

Hopefully a desktop version of whatever is at least an option. And drop the optical drive to make room for it! Developers seem to be trying to put more games on the Mac, if only Apple would take it more seriously. Games are the majority of iOS App Store sales so hopefully things begin to change and they realize how much money there is to be made on the Mac side of gaming.

3. willcodejavafor thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone knows when the next generation of GPUs will be released and how that would tie into the iMac release schedule? And by anyone I mean Hellhammer, as usual :)

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

As has been said many many times before no one knows for sure except Apple. All other projections are guesses, some are better than others. With due respect to Hellhammer his projections are guesses too. The name of this site is called MacRumors for a good reason; some rumors turn out to be true, some a variation of the truth and some are totally wrong.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There isn't much info about the upcoming GPU (AMD 7000 Series & NVIDIA GeForce 600 Series), so it's hard to say anything. Once we get even some specs, it will be easier to speculate what will we see in the next gen iMac. Probably the high-end mobile GPU anyway, 7970M or whatever it will be called.

6. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

Whatever they do, I'd rather have a desktop GPU with no optical drive, than a mobile one with a optical drive.

7. Spybe macrumors newbie

I think the reason they don't put a desktop version GPU in the iMac is a heat issue more than a space issue. Look how huge are the high end desktop GPU coolers !

But I hope I am wrong :-D

8. bry223 macrumors regular

If you're looking for an iMac with a an AMD 7000 series GPU or a Nvidia 600 series GPU you'll have to wait until next year since both are scheduled to ship Q1 2012. I was really hoping the AMD chipsets would be available as they were originally intended to by November/December but they've been pushed back.

If there is and iMac refresh within the next 3 months the most you or anyone can hope for is updated 6000 series GPU's.