Next iMac Update?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cujoca, Nov 1, 2007.

1. cujoca macrumors regular

Hey everyone!

My family is really wanting to get an iMac now but i'm holding them off until the bugs are fixed...Since i live in Canada there is a difference in our price rather than U.S.(should be the other way around...lol) and maybe Apple might put the prices on par with the U.S. for the next update? But my main question is when do you forsee the next update because if we buy around Christmas I'm afraid of updates right around the corner!

Thanks in advance!

2. Can macrumors member

It is all just speculation. But basing my statement on previous experience I say this:

It's not likely that we will see a update to the iMac right after Christmas. Any update around this time would be strictly CPU upgrades or other "minor" additions. The iMac as it stands at the moment is a great product and it is no reason to hold of and wait for an update :)

Don't know what bugs you are talking about but to my knowledge apple is currently working on one "major" bug that will probably get a fix long before Christmas.

3. cujoca thread starter macrumors regular

do you think will see any speed bumps or what night before January? And what about maybe fixing the screen's on the 24" iMac' (uneveness). Do you think they will do that?

Thanks in advance!

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I have a new 24" iMac that I bought upon release in Aug. You won't see any updates till next year, and my guess would be mid-February to early-May timeframe, at which point 45nm Penryn chips will be used. But that is not a significant enough update to put off a purchase. Right now with 10.5 just being released is the best time to buy. I almost wish I had waited till this past weekend to order mine. But I wanted one sooner. So I will update my OS.

As far as screen uneveness. Not sure what you are talking about.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I would wait until they have fixed the freezing issue which is plaguing some iMacs. Probably no updates until spring. I would think that the prices would fall closer in line but they haven't on the recent MacBook so Apple is playing silly buggers with the prices. Buy in the States if the prices don't correct.

6. cujoca thread starter macrumors regular

7. tingly macrumors 6502

Looking at past history, I'm not expecting a speed bump until spring or summer '08.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I only know about the 20" but the glossiness is a love it/hate it type thing. Placement is important to minimize reflections.

9. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I don't notice any glare. It looks great to me. I have some overhead halogens, but the only window in my office has a dark shade, so I don't have to worry about natural light issues. I think it looks fantastic. Anyone that comes over says "what a beautiful screen" to which I say "that's the whole computer" followed by their inability to close their mouth.

10. Mundy macrumors regular

I stopped noticing the reflections after a couple of hours. Your mind quickly trains itself to see past them. When I read your post, I had to actually look for the reflections to see them. They're there, but not obvious.

I personally feel that the 24" iMac display is gorgeous, despite the fact that I've never been a fan of glossy screens.

It will be a while before the iMac gets revised. I can't see it happening sooner than MacWorld.

11. cujoca thread starter macrumors regular

If you guys don't mind, one more quick question...when we get our iMac I will just get it with the 1 GB of ram and upgrade from OWC to 4GB of ram, but i've heard of some problems with 3rd party ram not fitting snug into the slot as apose to Apple's RAM. Can anyone comment on the third party ram they have bought and if it is a good idea or not to purchase 3rd party ram?

Thanks in advance!

12. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I put 4GB (2x2GB) from OWC in my 2.8GHz 24" iMac and it fit perfectly fine.

By selecting the 2.4GHz which comes with 1GB RAM vs the 2.8 which comes witht 2GB, and then upgrading the processor and harddrive to match the stock 2.8, I got the 2.8GHz with 1GB instead of the stock 2GB and the same drive etc, for $150 less that way. By the time I ordered my 4GB RAM it was still less with the RAM than it would have been for the 2.8 stock with 2GB. Fancy that.

13. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

My 3rd party 2GB fitted just fine. No worse or better than the stock RAM.