Next iMacs: Fusion drives and more?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BobbyCat, Sep 21, 2014.

1. BobbyCat macrumors regular

BobbyCat

Any chance to see Fusion Drives on all models for the next iMac refresh? Or will they still be offered only as options?

Also, what's the latest news about likely enhancements? We know there won't be retina iMacs, at least this time. But we should get Thunderbolt 2. What else is certain at this point?
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts (I'm considering a new 27").

2. Serban Suspended

there pretty high chances to see a new 27" 2880p display with standard Fusion drive, 970M and 980M, Thunderbolt 2 etc

3. Sciuriware macrumors regular

Sciuriware

Fusion drives

I never heard or read any negative response to the fusion construct,
    so I suppose APPLE has the same input.
    And my experiences are positive as well, so .......
    ;JOOP!

4. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Yeah, but when?

5. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Tomorrow will make the Late 2013 iMac one year old. Would be interesting to see an upcoming spec bump that re-aligns some pricing on storage, ram, and maybe refreshes GPUs with the latest from Nvidia. Wishful thinking though!

6. Serban Suspended

If it will...it will be release in the 21 October Event

7. miniroll32 macrumors 6502a

miniroll32

The way I see it...

- Low end 'affordable' option will remain, possibly unchanged for quite some time now.
    - The rest of the line up will move to Fusion Drive as standard.
    - Retina screens for all except low end.
    - "The most awesomely-awesome iMacs ever. Y'all."

8. mrmarts macrumors 65816

And what happens if Apple disappoints you and does not release a retina iMac in October. I am sorry but a retina iMac seems pointless without the iTunes content having yet to be updated to 4k I think i will wait this one out until iTunes store starts offering ultra HD content, by than Apple will do a makeover to the iMac which will make it worthy of an update. Besides i still can live with my wonderful late 2013 model.

9. omnisphere macrumors member

Sorry man, but Fusion drive have major issues with audio recording when using DAW and Audio Unit synthesizers. I do not know any music producers who use Fusion drives.

Try to google and you will find many complains about it.

:eek:

10. joema2 macrumors 65816

joema2

While there were formerly significant DAW audio problems on 2013 Fusion Drive iMacs, this seems to have been corrected in recent OS X releases.

Are you saying it's still a problem, or are you referring to old discussion threads before this was fixed?

11. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

A retina iMac would be a waste without 4K iTunes if an iMac could only be used to watch movies. It is a good job an iMac is capable of so much more.

12. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Plunking an old spinner inside with the smallest overpriced flash possible is "Fusion" as in Fusing your brain to something that's near death (for profit) See Fusion in a new laptop or pro? No? OK then.

There, I just gave you a negative ;)
    Thank me later

13. Roller macrumors 68020

That's a bit harsh. I have a 2012 iMac with a 3TB Fusion, and it continues to perform very well compared to my spinning disk Macs. Admittedly, Fusion is an intermediate technology until SSDs come down to even more reasonable price points, but it's helpful nonetheless.