Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The fourth-generation iPad Air may be equipped with a USB-C port instead of a Lightning port, according to a new report from Japanese site Mac Otakara that says the information comes from a Chinese supplier.

ipadairgold.jpg

Apple transitioned to USB-C for its iPad Pro models in 2018, but other iPads have continued to feature a Lightning port for charging purposes. Mac Otakara says that the new iPad Air will be based on the 11-inch iPad Pro, which is in line with prior rumors that we've heard.

Rumors earlier this year suggested that Apple is working on an 11-inch iPad Air, which could launch in the second half of 2020. Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo recently said that Apple is working on a 10.8-inch iPad, and while he didn't say it was an "Air" model, it fits in with other rumors about a new iPad Air.

One rumor from leaker L0vetodream has indicated the upcoming iPad Air could feature a mini-LED display with an under-display version of Touch ID instead of Face ID, but it remains to be seen if that info will turn out to be accurate as it hasn't yet been backed up with a second source.

Mac Otakara also mentions the upcoming iPad mini, which Kuo previously said would measure in at 8.5 to 9 inches. This new iPad mini, coming in 2021, is expected to continue to feature a Lightning port rather than a USB-C port.

Article Link: Next iPad Air Could Feature a USB-C Port Instead of a Lightning Port

Reactions: Gilj

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Curious if this USB port support accessories and external drives like iPad Pro does.

Reactions: rp2011

jimthing

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2011
Mini should be:
• USB-C.
• Pencil 2 support.
• Face ID.
• bezel-less screen (at larger ~9" screen size).

Anything else is Apple beings d¡cks to customers, at this point.

Clearly Apple must be blind to the needs of their customers if they don't realise many will also own a larger iPad Pro using USB-C already (or any new Mac, for that matter), so we can use the same cable on the Mini. It's so bleeding obvious, does it actually need explaining at this point. Keeping Lightning would just be a kick in the teeth to multi-device users (most people in the year 2020).

There's always 'legacy' to move on from, so staying with Lightning for yet another generation just prolongs the agony of an eventual swap later.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The Air is expected to have an 11-inch LCD and in-display Touch ID. Makes sense it would have USB-C so it can share most of the current iPad Pro accessories.

Reactions: jimthing

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Why don’t they make all their devices use the same connector? It seems odd to have some iPads use USB-C and some use lightning, no?
It seems odd at first, but imo Apple is pushing the iPad Pros to be real computer replacements, and as such USB-C would feel more natural to connect to peripherals.

Although the loss of headphone jack is weird.

Now that I mentioned it, I don't want this to happen if it means losing the headphone jack. It makes sense on the iPhone, due to constrained space and water proofing. The iPad has plenty of room and no IP rating, so removing headphone jack just because of USB-C is not cool imo.
[automerge]1591156394[/automerge]
The Air is expected to have an 11-inch LCD and in-display Touch ID. Makes sense it would have USB-C so it can share most of the current iPad Pro accessories.
It would be really sad if such large device doesn't have a headphone jack.... :(

yurc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2016
inside your DSDT
Almost every 2020 device have type-c as international standard. Any device at this moment which keep proprietary connector are sacrilegious enough.

Also, lightning ports still in USB 2.0 speed, nullifying advancements of high speeds newer USB technology, less supported protocol. Lightning was superior back then compared with retarded micro-USB, but with type C there’s was no reason to keep lightning anymore. The only merit of lightning now is only have slimmer footprints than type c, the rest quite meh.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Add usb-c to the iPhones and lets dump the lightening connector altogether!

I suspect eventually that will happen, but that’s not a reality that soon where lightning will be abolished altogether. It’s such a huge entity (And monopoly) for Apple, [and the AirPods also are lightning enabled, as well as the iPod touch.] So I don’t suspect we are to a point where lightning will be completely eliminated, but USB-C is a likely factor moving forward.

Reactions: pdaholic

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Almost every 2020 device have type-c as international standard. Any device at this moment which keep proprietary connector are sacrilegious enough.

Also, lightning ports still in USB 2.0 speed, nullifying advancements of high speeds newer USB technology, less supported protocol. Lightning was superior back then compared with retarded micro-USB, but with type C there’s was no reason to keep lightning anymore. The only merit of lightning now is only have slimmer footprints than type c, the rest quite meh.
Seems like many have misunderstanding between USB-C being the physical connector and the protocol standard USB. Majority of Android phones with USB-C port are actually still using USB2.0 standard. Only the high end flagships use USB3. Worse, many Android OEMs implement their own proprietary fast charging over that USB2 standard. Basically, on majority of mid-range Android handsets and lower, USB-C is only a physical replacement for microUSB, that's about it.

As for lightning, it has been shown that lightning can support USB3 standard speed and fast charging. For the iPad Pros, moving to USB-C ease peripheral connectivity for the target market. However, imo for the consumer side, Apple will probably keep lightning to make the segmentation between the Pro iPads and non-pro iPads clear.

And imo it's not worth it ditching out the headphone jack just to get USB-C.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
While I can’t see an impelling reason to have usb c on the iPhone (as long as they provide for a lightning to usb c cable), I think it is very useful on the iPad. Especially since they consider it to be a possible notebook replacement.
[automerge]1591162897[/automerge]
I am curious how this iPad fits into apples lineup. Not a Base but still not quite a Pro?
That’s exactly where the Air 3 is today.

Krutselno

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2017
When will they go for face-id instead of touch-id on all iPads? I don't need a pro model, but I don't wanna change to a new iPad until I can get one with face-id..

unchecked

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
Hey it's the USB-C not-so-pro iPad Pro that I've been asking for.

Thinking of what they'll strip out to make the lower price point. It'll probably use the mini's A12 chip, just two speakers at the bottom rather than all four on the pro, single camera. LIDAR?

USB-C also means there's no Lightning for Pencil 1. I guess I'll get the Logitech alternative.

I am curious how this iPad fits into apples lineup. Not a Base but still not quite a Pro?

Probably something like this:

Lightning
A10 iPad - Starting from $329
A12 iPad Mini - Starting from $399

USB-C
A12 iPad not-so-Pro (Air) - Starting from $499
A12z iPad Pro - Starting from $799.

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

Pupi

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015
While I can’t see an impelling reason to have usb c on the iPhone (as long as they provide for a lightning to usb c cable), I think it is very useful on the iPad. Especially since they consider it to be a possible notebook replacement.
[automerge]1591162897[/automerge]

That’s exactly where the Air 3 is today.
Charger convergence across all Apple devices should be a good enough reason. For years people could charge their iPhones with the same iPad charger. Not anymore.

There’s a golden opportunity to charge every portable Apple device all the way up to the MacBooks (except the Apple Watch, I guess) with the same charger and it’s just being pissed away.

Not to mention that then the same charger could also be used to charge other gear people own (believe it or not people also own devices other than Apple ones) although there are also plenty of manufacturers out there guilty of not making the transition from micro-USB to USB-C yet.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
In the past the Air line stood for very light products with innovation in design (very thin MacBooks, ipads). This changed in latest versions where it was used to fill the mid range gap. So the air is now a light/midrange version. Maybe Apple will change this and give the Air line more value again?

whatta

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2017
Usb c makes a lot of sense. Lightning port should go away completely. Which cpu will the iPad Air 4 have? Will it be faster than the 2020 iPad Pro? Will it keep the A12, maybe A12Z, A13, A14? Will it get miniled?
I hope Air 4 won’t be a better iPad than the current pro..

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I sure hope so, and I hope it’s reliable if they do.
[automerge]1591165335[/automerge]
Usb c makes a lot of sense. Lightning port should go away completely. Which cpu will the iPad Air 4 have? Will it be faster than the 2020 iPad Pro? Will it keep the A12, maybe A12Z, A13, A14? Will it get miniled?
I hope Air 4 won’t be a better iPad than the current pro..

I’d guess it would use the a13 or a14, regular version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.