iPad mini next ipad - capacitive touch screen?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by yth, May 11, 2013.

1. yth macrumors member

What are the odds the iPad Mini will have an capacitive touch screen next update? Thing is, you'll never be able to take notes until they add one (like the Samsung Galaxy Notes). I usually buy Apple everything (for iOS), but if you take a look at Samsung's hardware, they are ahead of the curve. Really wish I could get Samsung's hardware with Apple's software...

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Oy Vey!

You said something nice about Samsung. Never mind that it may be true...hell will follow!:eek:

4. yth thread starter macrumors member

I've tried taking notes on the latest iPad and iPad Mini, using three different styluses. It is an OK experience, but nothing like the Samsung Galaxy Note. Of course, this is because the Samsung uses better technology. Rather than using "touch" to recognize the stylus, it uses an electric field, which is obviously much better and way more accurate. The iPad could use the same technology, but Apple likes to keep high profit margins on its products (especially with their already falling margins), so it might be unlikely.

5. csixty4 macrumors regular

The iPad has had a capacitive screen since day one.

6. yth thread starter macrumors member

7. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

8. SeanR1 macrumors 6502

SeanR1

ya. It's a Wacom digitizer. It's awesome, so they will try and rip you for using the wrong term.

9. donnaw macrumors 65816

I had my first tablet with a Wacom digitizer back in 2003. It was an HP tablet and it was sweet. I worked in software development and took the notes in dev meetings. Before I got my tablet I would spend hours typing up my written notes to circulate.

After I got my tablet I used MS OneNote to take the hand-written notes (including screen mock-up). OneNote had the feature of being able to turn my 'hen scratching' into text. I was able to do this and circulate my notes and include the drawings with in minutes of a meeting. What a time saver, considering that i usually had 2-3 meeting a day (Devs, users, etc). Especially when the ideas are flying fast. I also used OneNote to make an audio recording of the meetings (I had one person who had a habit of denying they said certain things, oops, not when I could replay the audio).

I'm retired now, but I can attest to the capabilities of using this method. I love my iPad. But if I were still working, I would be using a different tablet. One with a Wacom digitizer.

10. Infinite Jest macrumors 6502