Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
I am making an iPad Pro next generation prediction. I predict that the next iPad Pro will have a M3 Max chip. When I say I am predicting, I really mean that I am hoping a lot ….. lol … Let’s start this rumor and maybe Apple will see it and make it happen. Next iPad Pro with M3 Max chip.

Everyone knows iPad Pro is the future of Mac, so what you suggest is inevitable.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
I am making an iPad Pro next generation prediction. I predict that the next iPad Pro will have a M3 Max chip. When I say I am predicting, I really mean that I am hoping a lot ….. lol … Let’s start this rumor and maybe Apple will see it and make it happen. Next iPad Pro with M3 Max chip.
Introducing... the brand new Apple Heater! Watch as this premium device which does not have any fans and is as thin and compact as a MacBook Air if not more tries to run a chip meant for bulky laptops and desktop configurations!

Wow! What a scorcher! 140 degrees and counting! Celsius!

Oh no. I think the RAM just melted.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022

My sources say the next gen iPad Pro will feature the M3 Ultra chip.

• Haha
Reactions: darngooddesign

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
No, literally impossible.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Introducing... the brand new Apple Heater! Watch as this premium device which does not have any fans and is as thin and compact as a MacBook Air if not more tries to run a chip meant for bulky laptops and desktop configurations!

Wow! What a scorcher! 140 degrees and counting! Celsius!

Oh no. I think the RAM just melted.
I had one of those Apple heaters, it was called the 12" Powerbook.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
Increasing the speed of the iPad processor without giving us a more powerful OS and apps is a waste of battery resources.

Reactions: Rafterman

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I didn't say that I needed an M3 Max, just that there are benefits of increased processor speed to existing applications on the existing OS.
Given the title of the thread I can understand the remark. M1/2/3 can have tangible benefits for iPads, RAM being the most important one in my opinion, but M3 Max is crearly a terrible idea, would destroy battery life and overheat the device, unless you make the iPad much thinker and heavier, and give it 1 or 2 fans, which is not going to happen...

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
None of the M Pro/Max chips have been featured in a system without a fan. So I assume they do this for a reason and the reason is when you don't have a fan, the CPU and GPU clocks get set to as low as possible given the heat production (short, bursty workloads can take advantage of higher clocks, but longer sustained workloads do not). And when you set clocks low, you end up with no performance advantage of the Pro/Max variants over the standard variant.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
None of the M Pro/Max chips have been featured in a system without a fan. So I assume they do this for a reason and the reason is when you don't have a fan, the CPU and GPU clocks get set to as low as possible given the heat production (short, bursty workloads can take advantage of higher clocks, but longer sustained workloads do not). And when you set clocks low, you end up with no performance advantage of the Pro/Max variants over the standard variant.

And you don't want a fan in iPads. The Surface Pros have fans and, while not terrible, holding them and have hot air blow on you isn't ideal.

Reactions: Pezimak

ipos

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2011
oled tv has this burn in issues after a few years. will the new ipad pro have the same issues?

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
The M3 is way more chip than the iPad, in its present form, could use. Unless the really open up the OS it would simply be a waste of power.

OLED is coming for sure but be ready to pay for it!

Fraserpatty

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2015
Oh, I won’t be paying for it. I just wanted to make sure I would not have buyers remorse in buying the M2. I have no desire for OLED. But I wanted to optimize my chip capabilities for any upcoming AI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.