Next iPad: Retina Screen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by filmbuff, Mar 2, 2011.

1. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

Some of you may think that the iPad 3 will absolutely positively have a Retina screen because it would be awesome. Well, you may be right. Steve Jobs made a big deal out of the graphics processing being "9 times faster" and wonderful. That seems overkill for any app that would run on the current screen but maybe on the next edition they will upgrade it to Retina, and the graphics processing power will already be in place to support it.

Of course if they use the same A5, that means no quad core processor on the iPad 3;)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That would make sense. By the time the iPad gets a Retina display it'll be 1-1.5 years old (i.e. ancient). Standard Apple practice.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That is a very good point. It would only really need roughly 4x the graphics power (4x the pixels for retina, although it probably doesn't scale exactly linearly), but I could see a retina display in it. That would be amusing to see a quad core iPad, don't imagine that will happen for quite some time though. I'm pretty amazed that they still have the same battery life too, that's pretty impressive.

4. Aidoneus macrumors 6502

It's slightly off topic, but I'd say it's certainly possible for the iPad 3 to have a quad-core processor. The ARM Cortex A9 processor in the PSP2 is set to have four cores, so the components certainly exist. It's just a case of whether or not Apple will take design cues from that.

5. fanboy05 macrumors regular

I dont know that the ipad 3 will have "retina" per se, but it should be BETTER ( more pixels)

I never expected retina, but I did expect some improvement/ change in the screen! silly me!

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I don't doubt that it's possible...I just don't think it's necessary for the application of the iPad. I'm sure it uses more power, which is a negative, and no app on the iPad would really benefit from it at this point

7. JulianL macrumors 65816

The iPad 2 announcement was interesting. I think that retina on the iPad 3 is now all down to the panel itself, can they get the price of the panel low enough for the numbers to add up and the end user price not go through the roof? I've no idea, I'm not an expert on display technology, but it looks as if they'll have the CPU and GPU horsepower to drive it, especially if they stick to an annual refresh cycle and the iPad 3 comes out in March 2012.

- Julian

8. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

2012 is all about Cortex-A15, so I doubt they will make another chip with Cortex-A9.

ARM Cortex-A15 (2 or 4 cores) with Imagination Technologies SGX543MP4 or MP8 at 32 or 28 nm sounds about right ;)