Next iPad update.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by new.Mac, Oct 22, 2010.

1. new.Mac macrumors newbie

I am planning to get an iPad for Christmas, and I was just wondering if there was suppose to be an update anytime soon, so I could wait until after to purchase it. Thanks.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

3. jmor macrumors 6502

Yeah my parents may get me one, but I'm considering waiting now. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later, and I hope its a good update (better screen and a camera, maybe more ram for multitasking and a surprise too). But its hard because I want it but at this point I know I'm probably better off waiting.

4. My name is Alex macrumors regular

My name is Alex

Might as well wait now, soon there'll be more rumours about it. Alot more. And alot more 'Should I buy now or wait' threads...

5. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

People speculate because the current one started selling in March/April that the next one will be out then. Probably a good guess but it's just a guess. I personally think it might be a bit sooner because of market pressure from other pads entering the market soon.

6. URFloorMatt macrumors 6502

I think you're right. Apple has now updated every major product in their lineup, so the iPad is the oldest.

Apple does something just about every month from January to October and only stops in November and December to protect holiday sales. January will probably be occupied by the Verizon iPhone announcement. March/April will probably bring new MacBook Pros.

The iPad last year was announced in late January but didn't release until later because of ramping up production. This time, they don't have to ramp. They just have to switch things to the new model, which probably won't be very different except for cameras and better specs.

I bet the new iPad is announced in early or mid-February and is ready to roll either that day or within 7-10 days.

7. garethjs macrumors 6502

If u pay a little more u might as well get the air.

8. new.Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Not waiting.

I am still going to get the iPad for Christmas weather it gets updated or not, and the camera isn't that big of a deal, because i plan to get an iPhone 4 in March.

9. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I don't usually tell people to wait, but why get the iPhone 4 in march. It's just going to be upgraded a few months afterwards. I guess by then, the rumor mill will have more details about what the upgrade might have, and it might not be important enough to wait that extra few months for you.

10. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Resale prices have been pretty high. (eBay is selling "like new" iPads above retail currently!)

You could always buy one, and resell it once the new one comes out. You'll have an iPad to play with for 3-5 months. If the update is minor (like a little speed bump, or low-res front camera only) you can just keep the first generation iPad. If not, you can sell and buy a second generation model.