Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NEXT IPHONE NEEDS COMPLETE REDESIGN

• AGREE

Votes: 144 47.1%
  • DISAGREE

Votes: 162 52.9%

• Total voters

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
i want a phone with the body of those blue tooth keyboards. a round battery cell at the top that tapers off like a macbook air. its sexy holds 10 hours on screen time and slim made out of rock solid stuff

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
The next iPhone needs to have a complete redesign to bring new life in. Look hasn't never changed since

I hope they call it the 5S and that it will look exactly the same as the 5. Just because it will be fun to watch all the bored little people go out of their bored little minds.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
So, at any given time the iPhone only pleases half the people.

For the record, I'm in the over 30 crowd (way over) and hate the square brick shape/look of the iPhone, but love the simplicity of the OS, though it's dated as hell. I'd like to see a redesign of both. JailBreaking mostly fixes the first.

Well I was heavily generalizing of course but it seem about right over all, from my simple observations anyway...

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
all-apple-iphones.jpg

Look, the iPhone has always stayed the same. And they ain't about to start changing it now. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know Apple or their style.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
All Nokia have done is squared off a rectangle and made it brickier, whilst HTC curved out theirs.

At the end of the day they're all still rectangular touch screen slabs.

Apple have also done similar;

curved rectangle and squared rectangle

There you go, there's your COMPLETE REDESIGN

/thread

Look, the iPhone has always stayed the same. And they ain't about to start changing it now. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know Apple or their style.
Fixed that for ya. :p I'm sure this would please a lot of folks, though not Apple share holders...

Attachments

• All iPhones.jpg
    All iPhones.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 132

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
So, at any given time the iPhone only pleases half the people.

For the record, I'm in the over 30 crowd (way over) and hate the square brick shape/look of the iPhone, but love the simplicity of the OS, though it's dated as hell. I'd like to see a redesign of both. JailBreaking mostly fixes the first.

I'm way over thirty (30) over 40, over 50, and over 60, and I like the iPad 5 as is and will never purchase something that is as big as the other offerings with 4.3 and up screens. Still prefer the iphone 4S thickness over the iphone 5. I don't jailbreak my phones and only use it for work, email, GPS and a few web sites. No music, no movies or games. Thats for kids. ;) If one likes the wider big stuff, just migrate over to the others. Enough said. :D

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I think the phone design is good and what they need is to make the screen larger and not just taller, and to revamp the operating system. Dead rounded tiles is ridiculous. They need to be brought to life. The weather icon needs to display the current weather etc.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
Should add a voting option for CAPS LOCK UNNECESSARY.

Seriously though, the iPhone has made some big changes since the original iPhone. What more do we want? We had the original iPhone, which changed quite a bit when we got the 3G. The 3GS was externally more or less the same as the 3G. The iPhone 4 was a pretty drastic change. Entirely new body with glass on front and back, retina display, etc. The 4S was, again, externally more or less the same as the 4. The iPhone 5 is larger, thinner, new material, new dock connector, etc.

I voted no in the poll because I don't think it needs a complete overhaul. A complete overhaul is what we just went through and now need to purchase new cases, new chargers/adapters, new accessories. If Apple were to do that again, haters would hate and fans would be fans. I vote keep the same basic design and keep improving on other aspects such as iOS/build quality/material quality/internal components.

I still don't understand the argument that nothing has changed when a lot has changed. I think THIS site does a great job showing how far the iPhone has come.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I'm also one of those people that's pretty content with the iPhone design. I'd like to see some cool new stuff in iOS instead.

If I had to pick new hardware features I'd maybe pick a screen size of 4.2"/4.3" (no bigger than that) and replacing the physical home button with a capacitive one.

flynnst0ne

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2008
If they don't pull something outta their hat, their stock price will only continue to slide...slide...slide...

What's also very interesting has been the trend apple has taken without Steve at the helm...Historically, the company has gone in the wrong direction without him, and it's feeling very much the same since his passing.

Without new Product introductions, and continuing to rehash and make small updates to existing hardware will only work for so long..

I love my iPad and iPhone, but change is definitely needed.

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
If they ever plan on doing anything with NFC they will have to change out the metal back, and why not use more of the iPad design elements. The iP5 is really just an iP4/4S but taller and thinner and not so innovative.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
I don't really care how my phone looks on the outside. Both the iPhone 4/4s & iPhone 5 design is just amazing. I'm more interested in a bit of a change with iOS.

hockeyman94

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2012
California
The next iPhone needs to have a complete redesign to bring new life in. Look hasn't never changed since

Blah Blah Blah.... No one will ever be happy after every iPhone I see a post exactly like this... But they never say what needs to be changed they just say it needs to be... It's pointless the iPhone design has been the same with the 3G-3Gs, 4-4S, 5-.... Guess what the 5S will be exactly the same.... With the exception of a possible iPhone math or whatever you would like to call it with a larger screen.

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
All I would like to see are:

• Longer battery life (I need to charge my phone twice a day, that's once too often)
  • Better low-light camera performance (at least two stops would be nice)
  • A better flash for the camera

And that's it. I like the way the 4S and the 5 look, and the screen is big enough for all my needs - not keen on a phablet busting the seams of my pants pocket.

I don't understand these constant calls for every iteration of a product to be a revolution - why can't products just evolve into something better, why MUST it always be a "giant leap"? I'd rather have a manufacturer iron the kinks out, rather than constantly reinvent the wheel with brand new kinks.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Nope ios is my main os even tho i have other smartphone around! I have galaxy note, s3, samsung windows phone, hp veer etc....

Honest question. Are phones your hobby or livelihood? Because that's alot of them to have at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.