Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
Hi to all!

I don't know about you, but I was really excited with what Apple announced on March 17th at the iPhone OS 3.0 Event!

I know a lot of iPhone-Haters out there are being like "apple releases a feature that has been in all other devices for a long time, and everyone gets excited about it"
but for those narrow-minded people I would like to remind you all that the iPhone still hasn't even completed TWO full years in the market and it has had such a success WorldWide!! and it's the first Cellphone/Mobile device that Apple works with... Blackberry has been in the market for how much? 8 Years! Palm? late 1990's !!! Motorola?! more than 25 years!!! they must have had updates upon updates way before the iPhone was even announced!
so if anybody is narrow-minded enough to keep bickering about the iphone's lack of some features go play with your blackberry/palm/motorola and don't be the first to nag and comment on every Apple-Related news that gets out just because you don't have anything else to do in life... if anybody goes on any news website that has posted an apple-related news.... the first comment would be like.... "boo-hoo, apple did this and that.... when we already had it on my motorola since 1992....." so funny... but well what can we do....

as for me, I'm eagerly waiting for the next-generation iPhone to be one of the first to get it when it gets out...
I think the iPhone is gonna be announced at the WWDC that is most probably gonna be held in early June (I think it'll be on Tuesday June 9th) and it is going to be released in mid-July.... but if Apple decides that it'de be sooner i'll be more than happy! :)

as for the actual name of the device, of course we all know it's gonna be '' iPhone 'something' '' ... hehe... well but it would be cool if it is '' iPhone Air '' (world's thinnest phone), or iPhone Pro, iPhone Ultra, iPhone Max, iPhone X, (something cool) but to name it iPhone 4G or iPhone 3G2, it would be kinda lame...

'bout the shape.... I know I'm not too much of a fan of the whole iPhone Nano thingy... or the fact that they might turn it into a clamshell, or have it have an extra screen or pull-out keyboard.... I think and I hope it would be the same screen size but a bit thinner with the Matte Back cover, just like the one that showed up in a leaked photo a couple weeks ago...

and about what I love to have inside it... I compiled a wish-list of some stuff that are most probably coming, stuff that are a bit far fetched, and stuff most of us would like.... but all in all i hope they put all these things and more!

Hardware:

1. FM Radio
2. Better Camera (at least 5 MegaPixels)
3. True GPS
4. Two Speakers (and a bit stronger)
5. Matte Back (like the leaked photo)
6. 32 GB
7. Faster CPU and Stronger Graphics
8. Removable Battery (and that lasts longer)
9. Stronger Vibration
10. Dock Included with the iPhone In the Packaging
11. anything that could make it better!

and as for this wish-list, i know that most probably these won't see those in the near future coz the iPhone OS 3.0 is already described but let's just hope that Apple is kind enough to surprise us with the new iPhone...

Software:
1. Select more than one App when moving them around the Home Screens (it's a pain to move a group of Apps of the same type from a Home Screen to another)
2. To-Do Syncing
3. Video Recording
4. Notes arranged by 'Creation' time not 'Modification'
5. Save/Download All images/files from a page/e-mail
6. proper bluetooth file sharing (i dunno if it'll be supported in 3.0... but it seemed that Scott, Greg and Phil Schiller became really confused when asked about that...)

One More Thing.....

I don't know whether this is addressed as a software or a hardware upgrade (or both), but it would be really cool to have an unlimited iPhone 2 iPhone Chat just like with the BlackBerry... (that's the ONLY thing that I like about BlackBerry's...)

Let me know what do u all think?? anything else is on your list??

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
You have some good ideas, especially the multiple select of icons on the home screen.

I have never owned an iPhone, but I think I will probably get one to replace my 1g ipod touch this summer. I am kind of vain about materials and I really liked that the the first iPhone was metal rather than plastic. Now, not having owned one, I can't say whether the metal made the reception not worth it. But I do own an LG VX 8700 on verizon which is largely stainless steel and it has great reception. So my main request hardware-wise is:

Metal

My main 2 requests software wise:

Freshen up the look
See, I am vain there too. I just think Mac OS X is starting to get a little cluttered looking compared to Windows, and I think some of the new concepts Palm is putting out look elegant compared to the iPhone OS. Something a bit prettier than the square icons on black background that is ubiquitous on every iPhone, a way to have a background image but still make the icons look good on top of it. And maybe notifications that come at the top or bottom of the screen rather than in a pop up window so you can just ignore it without having to hit ignore or continue what you're doing until you're ready to tap on it (ie like the first line of an IM you're getting shows up at the notification bar at the bottom of the phone).

Home Button Becomes Menu Button
And finally, I know this sounds a bit weird, but I wish you could make the Home button function like the Menu button on regular iPods. One thing that I seem to find annoying is hitting the back buttons like return to playlist that is in that little flag shape at the top of the screen....on a regular ipod hitting menu takes you back one screen...I wish they would let you set it so that hitting Home took you back one screen and only holding it down took you back to the actual Home screen (or you would also get there eventually by hitting back enough times).

MikeDTyke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
1. FM Radio ==== No Chance, fool
2. Better Camera (at least 5 MegaPixels) ==== Possibly
3. True GPS ==== What are you wittering about fool, it`s got true GPS.
4. Two Speakers (and a bit stronger) ==== Pointless waste of time.
5. Matte Back (like the leaked photo) ==== Unlikely, when was the last time Apple used Matte when glossy was an option.
6. 32 GB ==== Likely
7. Faster CPU and Stronger Graphics ==== Maybe this time round, definitely next time.
8. Removable Battery (and that lasts longer) ==== You really are a fool
9. Stronger Vibration ==== Few people have whined, unlikely
10. Dock Included with the iPhone In the Packaging ==== Not if they keep it under $200 with contract.
11. anything that could make it better! ==== Pointless line, of course there`s stuff that could make it better.

and as for this wish-list, i know that most probably these won't see those in the near future coz the iPhone OS 3.0 is already described but let's just hope that Apple is kind enough to surprise us with the new iPhone...

Software:
1. Select more than one App when moving them around the Home Screens (it's a pain to move a group of Apps of the same type from a Home Screen to another) ==== I feel this pain.
2. To-Do Syncing ==== I feel this pain even more.
3. Video Recording ==== Not much pain, more an itch.
4. Notes arranged by 'Creation' time not 'Modification' ==== Mmmm feels like an unlikely twinge they won`t fix. But consider you can now search for notes.
5. Save/Download All images/files from a page/e-mail ==== You can do this already from an email and web pages one at a time because the iphone doesn`t know the difference between say a photo and a piece of web furniture you didn`t want.
6. proper bluetooth file sharing (i dunno if it'll be supported in 3.0... but it seemed that Scott, Greg and Phil Schiller became really confused when asked about that...) ==== Someone might build this into on of the file sharing tools like MobileFiles/DataCase or AirSharing, but unless they all agree to use the standard bluetooth obex protocol i`m afraid each party will have to have the same app. This is major pain for me, as i really want to carry a significant part of my home dir around with me without storing it in some silly silo that`s only accessible over wifi.

One More Thing.....

I don't know whether this is addressed as a software or a hardware upgrade (or both), but it would be really cool to have an unlimited iPhone 2 iPhone Chat just like with the BlackBerry... (that's the ONLY thing that I like about BlackBerry's...) ==== AT&T & O2 amongst others simply laugh in your face.

MikeDTyke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
Some gyms broadcast TV audio on FM radio. Most gyms offer a headphone socket on their running machines etc Additionally, some local stations don't offer Internet streams. These luddites need to be ignored.

Wouldn't even have to be built-in. It would simply be nice if it worked with this: Now that developers have access to the dock connector of course they are free to build an FM adaptor with an app to control it and pull the audio from it.

joeshell383

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Some gyms broadcast TV audio on FM radio. Most gyms offer a headphone socket on their running machines etc Additionally, some local stations don't offer Internet streams. These luddites need to be ignored.

Wouldn't even have to be built-in. It would simply be nice if it worked with this: Now that developers have access to the dock connector of course they are free to build an FM adaptor with an app to control it and pull the audio from it.

First, I don't appreciate your tone. Second, I'm talking about small-budget indie stations that don't yet have the IT power to broadcast online... they don't need to be ignored. PLUS, radio doesn't require an EDGE/3G connection. I understand the newly added ability for accessories, and perhaps we will see a new radio accessory, but it is a shame that Apple's existing one isn't compatible with the iPhone.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
@ Sky Blue: I said it would be nice... coz I like to tune in to some stations to catch up with what's new... (not all places where I live have Wifi)... and its a pain to carry an FM adapter always...

@ScottSFA: I thought it was "A-GPS: Assisted GPS".....

@swingerofbirch: I'm with bout the look... they could do a SkinStore or something to distribute skins, themes, etc.....

@dZp: LOL!! :D

@MikeDTyke: Thanks for the great and detailed reply! but i think you should've said fool one more time... dont ya think!?

And by the Way.... what do you all think about "iPhone 3,1" , "iProd", "iPod 3,0", etcc.....!??!

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
It's 2009, not 1989.

Amen.

My friend, who we will call "smith" used to complain about this ALL THE TIME, and one thing I noticed, is that ever since streaming AOL and pandora etc.. apps came out....

not a peep about this..

FM. let it die.

(not all places where I live have Wifi)... and its a pain to carry an FM adapter always...

these work on edge as well mostly. and definately on 3g. no wifi needed.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Amen.

My friend, who we will call "smith" used to complain about this ALL THE TIME, and one thing I noticed, is that ever since streaming AOL and pandora etc.. apps came out....

not a peep about this..

FM. let it die.

these work on edge as well mostly. and definately on 3g. no wifi needed.

Not that I really want an FM radio on the iPhone

But just because you can stream radio doesn't mean we all can, unless it has now changed, streaming is prohibited on o2

we need to be on WiFi to get live radio

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
I guess I am just old fashioned but at least I don't discriminate!

I like listening to FM because DJ's can be entertaining if you find a good station. Having current hourly news is informing and once in a great while you get call in shows where music is a variety. So what if there is a comercial or two...that is part of the economy.

Satellite is a rip off to me...why should I pay for something that I can get for free by listening to FM. If you want to pay for it...more power to you, I won't.

The radio apps that we get now on the iPhone are all play lists of mp3 music and play the same short shows over and over again. Pandora is an exception because the music is shuffled. I still use Pandora as sometimes I just do not want the FM platform.

There is NOTHING wrong with FM or good old fashion radio...it is where music started and grew. This is where artists still release new songs and this is the life of music. You kill FM and the ability for new and old artists to show case their music then you kill the industry.

There is good in all forms of Music and Entertainment...Radio/AM/FM/Satellite and Private MP3 stations. Why knock someones choice in entertainment? Why belittle anyone that still wants to listen to music and then buy that song and support the artist? Why are commercials bad that support the economy in advertising that gets people to buy products to support employment to support the companies. Expand you minds and accept it all!

I would also like the Apple FM player to work on the iPhone. Untill then...ooTunes and Pocket Radio both support FM stations.

skythefly13

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2005
There is NOTHING wrong with FM or good old fashion radio...it is where music started and grew. This is where artists still release new songs and this is the life of music. You kill FM and the ability for new and old artists to show case their music then you kill the industry.

Ummm...
A) Do you really think Apple wants to put "good old fashioned radio" in their high-tech phone?
B) Have you heard of iTunes?
C) Does iTunes kill the music industry?

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
@ThE.MeSsEnGeR

@ScottSFA: I thought it was "A-GPS: Assisted GPS".....

I thought A-GPS was real GPS, but better. As in you don't have to wait for minutes to get a satellite lock. It triangulates first based on tower location / wifi, then as soon as it sees enough sats it locks on to the actual location. Been discussed here lots of times before.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
I thought A-GPS was real GPS, but better.

correct, a-gps is better than gps.

And FM radio dieing off won't kill the music industry. Big labels are killing themselves, and a lot of changing is happening. But it will take a whole lot more than radio going away to kill the industry.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I thought A-GPS was real GPS, but better. As in you don't have to wait for minutes to get a satellite lock.

That's correct. The assistance comes from a server that feeds the latest GPS satellite orbit information to the phone. This speeds up the lock.

It triangulates first based on tower location / wifi, then as soon as it sees enough sats it locks on to the actual location.

No, that's not A-GPS. See above. A-GPS = Assisted GPS. What you're talking about is hybrid locating (meaning it uses more than one method).

Cheers.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
You must not be very techy to put FM transmitter on top of your hardware list... This list is nullified :).

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
1. FM Radio
2. Better Camera (at least 5 MegaPixels)
3. True GPS
4. Two Speakers (and a bit stronger)
5. Matte Back (like the leaked photo)
6. 32 GB
7. Faster CPU and Stronger Graphics
8. Removable Battery (and that lasts longer)
9. Stronger Vibration
10. Dock Included with the iPhone In the Packaging
11. anything that could make it better!

3. Video Recording

1. Never.
2. Probably.
3. Has it.
4. That'd shut people up, for sure. Though it would kill this site.
5. Meh. I like matte. It doesn't really matter.
6. Very probably.
7. Not by much. And there aren't "graphics"; it's all done by the one.
8. Never.
9. If people want it.
10. They had it once, they took it out, it isn't coming back.
11. With 3.0 and a better camera, every major argument against getting one is destroyed.

3. Has it.

kdarling

macrumors P6
11. With 3.0 and a better camera, every major argument against getting one is destroyed.

It's closer, but no cigar yet. Leaving out stuff like Flash, Java, expandable memory, etc... there's still the lack of multitasking:

Pandora can't play in the background. The phone's profile can't change because of a location or time change. You and your friends can't share locations with unless you keep manually running the related application. Sets of applications can't preload their data while you sleep. Apps can't run automatically at a certain time. Following a train of thought via multiple apps means retracing all your steps if you want to go back one step, since only the last app is actually running.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
@ThE.MeSsEnGeR

I thought A-GPS was real GPS, but better. As in you don't have to wait for minutes to get a satellite lock. It triangulates first based on tower location / wifi, then as soon as it sees enough sats it locks on to the actual location. Been discussed here lots of times before.

Oh, ok! ;) thanks! didn't know that, I'm kinda new...

You must not be very techy to put FM transmitter on top of your hardware list... This list is nullified :).

I think that listening to the radio from time to time could be fun, original (with some DJ's), and mostly FREE!

I agree with you, 1 friend was telling me his Zune has an FM radio. I told him who listens to radio on their MP3 player? I do listen to the radio, but it's because I don't have my iPod with me.

and is there anything wrong with having your ipod/iphone that HAS and FM radio built-in?

MrCatMan

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2008
UK
5.0 or 7.2 mp camera; don't really care just want it to work better if I am moving

Apple sign illuminates for camera flash - Keeps it well designed

Video Camera - Be nice to have if needed

32gb minimum; would prefer 64 gig but It would be a start

MultiProcessor

Co-Ordinating Facia. White Facia if the phone is white, black if it is black

Better Battery

Physical Button for Photo Apps - Current button is pants

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.