Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you prefer the next gen iPhone has USB- or Lightning connector?

• Lightning

Votes: 32 51.6%
  • USB-C

Votes: 30 48.4%

• Total voters

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
So as i thought, apple is in a lose-lose situation. Regardless of what they do there will be people unhappy.
Now that people are changing phones less frequently, I think Apple doubles down on lightning for iPhone. When it comes right down to it, if I'm a casual iPhone user, I consider everything and I keep my phone for a long time. I have lightning cables, so iPhone is super convenient.
[doublepost=1559497633][/doublepost]
Hopefully lightning as I have a large collection of lightning cables lol
Yeah, pretty much.

And USB-C quality control is horrible. Not all are created equally and some lead to big problems.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
USB-C. I won't be updating before that happens.

For me it is exactly that. I hate having to carry around a multitude of chargers and cables, when one of each should be sufficient. Currently I have to carry two chargers, one with USB-A and one with USB-C. Then I have to carry a cable that ends with Lightning, one with USB-C, and one with USB Μicro-B. At least I don't also have to carry a proprietary one for the camera and laptop anymore, so that's two down.

The pipe dream here is more that we can lower electronic waste, because in 10 years from now, everyone will have USB-C cables and chargers laying around, meaning that likely won't be included with products.
You have to assume that there will never be another standard after USB-C. Life hasn’t worked that way so far, I doubt it’ll change. More likely, cordless will become even more prevalent. Best way to eliminate waste from cords is to eliminate them.

But in the big scheme of the waste stream, cords are small stuff, as are phones. Each of us is responsible for far more food packaging waste, and one retired family car is bigger than a lifetime of personal electronics.

While everything adds up, no matter how small, the question of how many cables of what type isn’t likely to make a tiny, not-covered-by-AppleCare+ dent. No matter what connectors a cord may have, each has a functional lifespan. We may carry fewer, but if they’re used more frequently they’re likely to wear out sooner. Meantime, products built for greater durability tend to consume more resources. Build them “too well,” and there’s greater waste. Hitting the right balance is very challenging.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
You have to assume that there will never be another standard after USB-C. Life hasn’t worked that way so far, I doubt it’ll change. More likely, cordless will become even more prevalent. Best way to eliminate waste from cords is to eliminate them.
True that! But given that USB-A has become so prevalent, and USB-C is so much more flexible, I don't expect a successor to come anytime soon, if ever. And while Wireless becomes more prevalent, it still won't do it for everything.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I agree, but then they did it with the iPad so why not the iPhone.

Getting their toe in the water? The connector is slightly bigger than lightning, which is more important on a smaller phone?

I suspect people who have the iPad have to be careful when they buy extra cables (other than from Apple).

I'm not against USB-C. My Mac Mini has USB-C, and my Windows desktop does too. Though my MacBook Pro doesn't.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Not sure if this has been done but if not, what is your preference?

Lightning- loads of stuff people own is lightening, loads of cables, a couple of sets of headphones, docks etc,

usb-c - cross compatibility, same as ipad pro etc
This has been done numerous times.

What people actually need are lightning to usb-c cable to be included with a charger with usb-c on it with the iPhones. This will allow iPhones to be readily connect to recent MacBooks out of the box.

USB-c on the iPhone itself makes no sense. USB-C is larger, and doesn’t give any improvements over lightning.

Imo, Apple will probably remove the port altogether than putting usb-c on the iPhone.

Reactions: Wide opeN

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
So as i thought, apple is in a lose-lose situation. Regardless of what they do there will be people unhappy.
The only ones unhappy will be the noisy tech bloggers (for clicks) and some nerds here. Majority of people don’t care as long as a cable and a charger are included in the box. Most people will simply use the included cable and charger and call it a day. They don’t have time to be unhappy about these things.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
iPhone should have gone to USB-C when they deleted the audio jack. Then they wouldn't have had to do stupid lightning headphones.

Inconvenient, yes, but better in the log run, also yes.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
2020 design refresh will be USB-C.

Yup. This year is all about the ‘triple lens camera’. 2020 will be more significant with USB-C and _if_ 5G will be ready. I don’t think the transition to USB-C will be that difficult, it’s just when you have so many users that have lots of lightning cables, that means they’ll have to use adapters if needed. Which is inconvenient, but the transition has to be made at some point

anhsnaps

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2017
USB C is the future but they need to make the connections to the ports more reliable. Some cables are so loose that they drop connection just by moving your laptop/iPad a bit. The lightning cables are a tight fit and it takes a lot to get them disconnected.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
USB C is the future but they need to make the connections to the ports more reliable. Some cables are so loose that they drop connection just by moving your laptop/iPad a bit. The lightning cables are a tight fit and it takes a lot to get them disconnected.

I really like your points here. And you are 100% correct. What I like about lightning, is how easily/securely it snaps into place without any type of side to side tolerance play. With USB-C, I did notice that there seems to be some more wiggle space, as it’s not as secure. But I entirely agree with you about making the connections more custom fit/secure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.