Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CBX

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2007
So, we all pretty much new that the current iPhone was going to get 3G before it was announced back last year.

After seeing the 3.0 software update - which is fully available to 3g owners, wheres the pull to upgrade to the next version?

3G was a big pull as the first iPhone was way to slow unless using wifi, I just cant see what is going to get everyone to upgrade to the next version?

Anyone any ideas? Perhaps apple is making more money from the app store than on making phones to the point where it feels it can just do a minor bump to capacity size this year and leave some wow factor til next year?

Palm Pimp

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2009
Ram and processor being upgraded. It will be able to multitask like the Palm Pre and have the ability to do some seriously intensive games, not unlike what you see on the DS/ PSP.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Capacity upgrades will be the order of the day. OS 3.0 pretty much telegraphed that processor upgrades will ilkely be minimal at best, at least for this cycle.

Not to mention, 3.0 when it comes out, assuming it delivers all it is promising, will finally get most people who are still on the fence to finally get one. That's the pull, and I think AT&T will prefer getting new customers as opposed to the same people lining up to upgrade again.

CBX

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Ram and processor being upgraded. It will be able to multitask like the Palm Pre and have the ability to do some seriously intensive games, not unlike what you see on the DS/ PSP.

Didnt they say they arent doing background tasks?

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Camera on the front for a new iSight app? I think the next iPhone will be more for people upgrading from the 1st gen and for people to come over from regular phones.

CBX

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Mature hardware, higher capacity, new form factor...

There'll be plenty of reason.

Not sure if mature hardware and higher capacity will push through many more sales?

Also I cant see a new form factor especially as they now offer landscape keyboard.

impact_blue

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2005
We got a new OS with great features, with that I'm sure they'll speed up the phone as well as up the HD.

Do you really think they'll had features isight or physical keyboard to lure 1st gen users to upgrade when they already have a lure in the OS? We all know Apple like to slowly add features within each gen to prevent them from giving EVERYTHING we want all at once.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
It will be able to multitask like the Palm Pre

no it won't.

they ran AIM in the background on "some phones" and it got poor battery life.

We've been testing this, and running some background processes on some phones. We took a popular AIM client, and we just let go in the background -- then we measured the standby time. And it dropped by 80% or more."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.