Next iphone with unibody?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kristoffer4, Oct 20, 2008.

1. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

I think it is almost safe to say that the next iphone will be unibody just like the new MB/MBP and have a better camera. What do you guys think? :cool:

2. sibruk macrumors 6502a

3. HaroldC macrumors regular

How are they not similar in the way they are built now? The entire back is one piece, it's not possible to form the entire outside shell from one piece. Unless you think that building a phone is somewhat similar to building a ship in a bottle. :rolleyes:

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Apple dropped metal from iPhone for good reason. It's not coming back.

Unless you mean unibody plastic...

5. fleeper macrumors 6502

What was the good reason? I have the metal backed phone and I want a 3G model but the plastic back scares me. With all the posts about "light leaks" and small cracks I just don't know what to think.

fleeper

6. P Mentior macrumors regular

The Metal back was dropped for plastic to improve signal reception. Wireless signals tend to disagree with metal and not with plastic, so i doubt that the next iPhone will be unibody. besides, wasn't the unibody developed for added strength to the notebook? The iPhone is small enough that the benefits aren't enough to justify the added cost of the unibody.

7. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

+1 Apple wants to keep the iPhone as cheap as possible to produce. If they can sell them still for $199, switching back to metal is a step backwards.

8. BrokenE macrumors regular

I don't think it's feasible considering: 1) price point and 2) design shelf life. It's got to be expensive to design and fabricate the frame (that's why so many doubted the "brick" design concept for the notebooks) plus with the shelf life of the iPhone being so short, 1 year, maybe 2 for the 3 g, it doesn't seem justifiable to me. But I hope I'm wrong.