Next iPhones all with facial recognition?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Giuanniello, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Giuanniello macrumors 6502

Giuanniello

If that's going to be the care I will switch to Android, to give them all my fingerprints for free is already a big gift but to also give my face to be recognized to me seems a step back in time when somebody used to mark people with just a difference, this time we'll be glad to offer it all on a silver plate...

2. Faelan macrumors regular

Faelan

Use a pin or passcode instead if you’re that worried about your biometric information getting out there. That’s how we used to do things before TouchID and it didn’t kill us. It just took another second or two for a pin code, depending on how fast you are.

I’m pretty sure all Apple flagship phones will be FaceID only from now on. They will probably have non-FaceID options available for some time at a lower price, but they won’t be flagship products.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

There is no image involved. All it does is keep all the info only on your phone. It does not use a picture but like a map of your face in mathematical terms.

I am betting that Android does the same soon.

4. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Yeah, my money is on the 8 series being the last TouchID iPhones (or to give myself a little leeway, the last TouchID "only").

I don't think they're even going to iterate the phone versions to 9, I think it's going to be X with some kind of versioning suffix (not unlike what they did with OSX ... er, I mean, MacOS ... :D)

5. Giuanniello thread starter macrumors 6502

Giuanniello

To my twisted mind all of this sounds like slowly mapping us, if you think about it, in many cases, they have our fingerprint, our voice (for those who like to show to friends "hey Siri") and soon also facial recognition, sure, Apple not going to share our personal data with anybody...

Is there a plot behind this? I don't know but whilst it's comfy to just lay a finger on the sensor to unlock the phone I feel more and more violated, when I leave home in the morning I check three things:

- my cards (bus card, credit card, prepaid card, sanity card, driving license...)
    - mobile phone
    - some cash

the latter is the only thing which makes me feel somehow free but there must be a reason, which is not just skipping taxes, if they don't want to see cash circulating any longer...