Next IPod price drop?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Simicino, Jan 14, 2008.

  1. Simicino macrumors newbie

    Jan 14, 2008
    As of right now, IPods are selling quite well, so I don't see IPod prices coming down in the immediate future. But surely there will be a drop some time between now and the likely next round of updates around September. Does late Feb or March sound realistic for a slight drop in price? What do you think?
  2. motulist macrumors 601


    Dec 2, 2003
    iPod prices don't drop between new model releases. Ever.
  3. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020


    Apr 12, 2005
    Moorestown, NJ
    Not likely. Jobs will likely announce iPods sales have been strong at his keyntoe tomorrow, only solidifying the fact that prices will remain the same until updates. Only if sales were poor would Apple even consider a pricedrop separate from updates, and right now that's not the case at all
  4. Dimwhit macrumors 68000


    Apr 10, 2007
    Too many models to allow for a price drop. With the shuffle at $80, and each incremental iPod priced not too much higher than the previous, I just don't see any price drops. Nothing significant, anyway.
  5. Simicino thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 14, 2008
    I agree about the keynote tomorrow and the slim chances of a price drop any time soon. It won't be long before 16gb and 32gb flash-based players will appear and begin to threaten the nano, though.

    That aside, I seem to recall a price drop has happened before, though perhaps that was during a lesser update or launch (the colored nano, for instance)?
  6. Dimwhit macrumors 68000


    Apr 10, 2007
    Nah, then the Nano will just go to 8GB. (Or is it there now?)
  7. joytime365 macrumors newbie

    Sep 28, 2007
  8. ataboc macrumors 6502

    Nov 27, 2007
    it's there now. i can't wait until there's a 32 gig nano. soo sexy:D
  9. Simicino thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 14, 2008
    I don't think you'll have too long to wait, perhaps a few months. That is, I'm not sure they'll be able to wait until their traditional back-to-school Sept update, as there will be tons of 32gbs on the market by then...not nanos, but still.
  10. Dimwhit macrumors 68000


    Apr 10, 2007
    I'll be happy with a 32GB iPod Touch. I'm ready to pull the trigger on two of them, but not until they hit that capacity.
  11. gazfocus macrumors 68000


    Jan 3, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    I don't think we'll see any price drops soon. I don't think it's really possible for Apple to drop the prices any further IMO.

    The 80GB iPod Classic is £159 where the 30GB iPod Photo used to be £200

    If Apple continue to lower the prices like you're expecting, they'll soon be giving the iPod's away.

    I think it's more likely that iPod's will continue to increase in size or have added features rather than have price drops.
  12. coryetzkorn macrumors regular


    Jul 23, 2007
    This has only happened once (to my knowledge), that is, a price drop without a significant product update. The 5.5G iPod with video (which was almost identical to the 5G) dropped $50, but only because the design was getting old and sales were slowing. I would not expect any more price drops.
  13. Pizzer macrumors newbie

    Jan 15, 2008
    Apple doesnt normally drop prices, they just discontinue the hardware and release something new. Once Apple releases a larger capacity ipod touch you'll most likely be able to find the current 8 and 16 gig models at a discounted price. I'm imagining Sept. maybe
  14. appleman64 macrumors newbie


    Sep 12, 2006
    Fargo, NoDak
    I'm more interested in more storage space in the Touch. Do you think we will see it anytime soon? My library just maxed out my 4G 20GB iPod Photo so I want a new one and am not against the 80GB Classic, but I know as soon as I buy it the Touch will be increased.

    If I remember right Apple had another event toward the end on January beginning of February in 07 and made some minor product adjustments even tho it was right after MacWorld.
  15. ipedro macrumors 68040


    Nov 30, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    I think we'll see prices drop when the iPod Touch becomes the de facto iPod and the Classic disappears as flash storage increases to 64GB and beyond.
  16. Tom B. macrumors 65816

    Tom B.

    Mar 22, 2006
    I think prices will only drop if new capacities are introduced. But even if Apple do drop the prices, is it worth waiting a few months to save $10-30? Or even $50? I don't think so.
  17. drb6 macrumors regular

    Jul 22, 2005
    Boston, MA
    iPhone related

    I've heard some chatter on MR about possible price drops for the iPhone. Apple has a target of selling 10 million iPhones in 2008 and they sold 4-4.5 million in 2007 I believe. Not to say thats a small number but that was the introductory year when they were bound to get the most press coverage and hype. So having to selling more than twice that much in its second year of release is a lofty goal.

    1. There is a price drop opening it out to more people
    2. A capacity increase, which a lot of people with large libraries (lets face it, this is a pretty good chunk of the current iPod owners) are waiting for
    3. Or a new release

    So one or more of those things is bound to happen, I would think at least within the first half of the year.

    I doubt the price drop would be more than $50, but wouldn't this affect iPod Touch prices too? Apple would have to lower those a bit too.
  18. ebow macrumors 6502a


    Apr 30, 2001
    Trapped in a world before later on
    I think their goal is to sell 10 million iPhones in total by the end of 2008. So they would have to sell around a million more this whole year than they did in half of last year. (I could be wrong)
  19. drb6 macrumors regular

    Jul 22, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I forgot that the iPhone didn't release till June, keep thinking it was at Macworld SF. That debunks my whole theory.
  20. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030


    Jul 13, 2007
    MD & ATL,GA
    I do not see that all. Period. Never happened.
  21. bloodycape macrumors 65816

    Jun 18, 2005
    Actually in some ways it would be long. There are two companies that have 32gb models out. One was released back in December the other is released this month. However, both companies had leaked info on their respective product pages that they have 32gb model in the works, back in late summer-early fall. The real threat to the Nano is expansion slots, which both products have.
  22. northy124 macrumors 68020


    Nov 18, 2007
    No price drop. Haven't read thread through just answering the title. It's the same thing as should i buy now or wait threads (Just buy god dam it not like it's redundant the next day) i'm guessing your waiting for a price drop for march so you can buy then (It's a waste of time waiting if you have the money buy if not save up then buy)
  23. Robbadore64 macrumors regular

    Jan 7, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Pretty much true. Expect increase in capacity for the same price. That said, would ***** myself if they started offering 32 gig iPods for the same price as current 16 gigs. Just don't see it, not anytime soon when a 64 gig MacAir SSD is a $1K upgrade.

    If you hope for a price drop, just go with a refurb (if and when). I know of five instances of purchasing refurbs (myself included) that the refurb model looked and behaved BRAND NEW!!! Refurbs from Apple are awesome!

Share This Page