Next IPOD update?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by glocke12, Mar 1, 2008.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

My 60 gig ipod was recently stolen. I will be getting a replacement, but was wondering what the chances of a new one being released ? Im sure 160 gig will be fine, but Id hate to pick that up and than something else comes out.

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

OP, I think that it is safe to say that there will be no iPods for several more months. For the past few years, they have recieived their yearly overhauls in September.

3. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Your pretty safe to buy now they don't get updated till september usually.

4. dylan macrumors 6502

I'd be wary of buying a Nano right now. The others should be fine though.

5. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Yup, Apple usually put/refresh iPods with new models closer to the end of the year. The only thing I would worry is price drop. Sony is going to release their new lineup at the end of March/early April, and I want to see how Apple would respond.

6. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yeah, September is normally the time. But Apple may accelerate things just to keep the competition away. Memory size jumps are now coming frequently (shuffle, touch) so expect Nano and even classic to jump.

The big thing that Apple might do is attach a touch to a classic, using both flash and a HDD.

7. pika2000 macrumors 68030

I don't think there's a point in hybrid DAP. What I want is a flash based iPod using the classic/5G form factor.

8. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

The next big update will most likely be 6 months from now. I think you're safe picking up a 160gb if you need it.

9. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

IMHO I think from now on we will see Nano, Shuffle and Touch memory bumps every 6 months while we will see full update every 12 months.

Whatever happen the iPods are getting better each time round... More memory, cheaper and nicer designs so I can't really complain.

10. aethelbert macrumors 601

Flash capacity doesn't rise that fast, nor do prices fall that fast. For now, I still see annual updates around the time that the back-to-school deal ends.

11. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I'm not saying that it will double in size or fall in price every 6 month but what I do think will happen is that you will see some sort of a minor bump as we have just seen with the Shuffles on 6 month increments while there will be a major release every 12 months (e.g new design, promo, etc).

12. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Sure there is, cheap space couple with touch interface. Flash is exy.