next iPod... worth waiting 5 months?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mekaeel, Apr 28, 2008.

1. mekaeel macrumors newbie

Hello guys,

I'm sure you heard this story dozens of times by now in this forum so I apologize and hope you can bear with me :)

I own a 1st gen iPod nano 4GB and now it's full and I have my eyes on iPod Classic 160 GB.

The Problem is that I started to hesitate once I read the buyers guide here in MacRumors where it says: "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle". And from what I read it seems the new ipod should be introduced around September, but again that's a long time to wait for, especially since I use my iPod everyday.

Should I buy now or wait and get possibly more space for the price? what other possible features might I miss if I buy the ipod now? Wifi Sync? Weather forecast and Notes and such addons? enhanced battery life? brighter screen? maybe it will dance too :rolleyes:?

I use my iPod EVERYDAY and I'm really in pain now that it's full :(

what do you guys think?
    and bear in mind your recommendation will greatly affect my decision!

2. Annndy! macrumors regular

Annndy!

If you were going for a Touch, I'd probably say wait it out. Since you want a Classic, and especially considering the age of your current model, I'd say just go ahead and get a new one now. 160GB is PLENTY of space, and you won't be disappointed.

3. Mykbibby macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

If Space is all that you're holding out for, then get the Classic today. When the iPod has more space then its base laptops, you know that it's enough.

However, if features is what you're looking for, then I'd say to wait. It seems to me like the Classic is nearing the end of the road, but I may be wrong.

I'm just curious... how big is your Music Library?

4. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

More space for the price, thinner and better battery life are usually guaranteed with new models. Brighter screens too perhaps, but how much brighter do you need the screen to be? IMHO I don't think there will be much change to the iPod Classic other than that, the design was introduced just last year. Wifi and other apps are out, they don't want the Classic to eat into the iPod touch's market.
    In other words, if you're happy w/ the features, battery life and capacity of the current iPod, then don't wait for another 5 months. I remember when I filled up my 6gb mini, then 8gb nano. I could barely wait for 2 weeks before I get a new one. Deleting songs to make space could be a major pain in the neck for 5 months.

5. mekaeel thread starter macrumors newbie

that's what I'm thinking but again are the possible features of the next iPod worth waiting this long or not?

that's the only thing holding me back from going to the store to snatch an iPod!

6. mekaeel thread starter macrumors newbie

my library has almost 7 GB but its growing fast since I'm converting my old cassettes and other files to have better quality than what I have.

I know 160 GB is more than enough but I usually use my iPod for backup of some important files like my photo library and other docs.

7. akm3 macrumors 68020

What are the odds apple comes out with a 'Fat Touch' that mates the touchscreen to a hard drive with the thickness of the classic.

160gb touch?

I don't think Apple will do this, but if they want to keep hard drive iPods, it seems they'll have to. Soon, an iPod without touch will be a dinosaur.

More likely the hard drive will just die.

8. mekaeel thread starter macrumors newbie

You're right, after reading your comment I feel confident to go ahead and buy an iPod. Thanks man!

9. Annndy! macrumors regular

Annndy!

10. mekaeel thread starter macrumors newbie

it's funny that I really don't want the touchscreen. It's not practical for me to use it while driving or putting it my pocket.

with the click wheel I can just navigate through menus with my eyes closed.

11. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

In the Classic? Probably not. Slightly larger hard drive, maybe slightly better battery life. I don't see any new features that you wouldn't be able to get with a software update.

I say get it now.

12. mekaeel thread starter macrumors newbie

THANKS EVERYONE!

I'm writing this reply while syncing my library to the new iPod ^_^

Thank you for the recommendation and help!

13. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

^^^^
    Yeah congrats! Enjoy your new iPods! It's always an exciting time when you get a new iPod :D.