Next Itouch hardware update?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by convertee, Feb 16, 2008.

1. convertee macrumors newbie

What's the timeframe on a hardware revision of the Itouch, considering SDK release, recent 32GB upgrade and possible price drop next 2 months...
    Cheers

2. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

Being what this place is, what I will say is just a speculation...

But I think that we can safely wager that a new iPod Touch revision (meaning not just a firmware update like coming really soon for SDK) but the Touch itself could happen in the summer, just before Christmas time, or not until next year. It really depends on how space limitations go, because the flash sizes just get smaller and smaller, and a 64 GB touch could be possible as early as this summer, but pretty unlikely..

However I can say the summer because they could add a camera or something. Who knows?

3. convertee thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I highly doubt they'd put a camera on it.

Afterall, that would make one less thing to differentiate between the iPod and the iPhone.

5. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Look at how long the 5th Gen iPod had shelf presence. I'd say that the iPod Touch isn't going to get anything more than quarterly storage bumps for at least another 12 months.

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

Quarterly is pushing it, a lot.

7. fandsw macrumors regular

Agreed. I don't see any updates until after summer in the hardware. Flash memory is still way to expensive above 32GB....

8. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

Maybe, but so will VOIP, and Apple can't stop that. Might as well do YouTube integrated video recording via the touch too.

It's just a thought...

9. Eärendil Guest

Hey

I dont think we will see an update until late september.

Its stupid (being respectful) to think that Ipod Touch will get 64Gb when a Macbook Air has the same amount of storage with its SSD.

Until Macbook Air gets 128 or 216 or whatever, we will se an ipod upgrade.

10. tonyshucraft macrumors regular

A camera would make sense for quite a few people. Mostly because not everyone can get AT&T. So an iPod Touch with features that could work like a phone wouldn't be so bad

also, wouldn't it be possible for somebody like alltel or verizon to make a wireless card that can hook up to the touch and set up wireless on their network?

just saying because that would be a reason for me to consider buying internet from them.

11. wizard macrumors 68040

Personally I think we will see a new model before hardware revision to the current Touch. The rational is this MOVIES! A larger device with a higher resolution screen is exactly what they need to move movies. Since the screen is slightly larger you gat more space for everything else.

The only possible exception to this would be the addition of Bluetooth to the current Touch as that one feature would turn the Touch into an entirely different machine capability wise.
    With the 32 GB model I believe the pressure to expand memory has eased a bit so I don't see an immediate need to do so on the Touch. That could change rapidly if movie rentals and sales take off.

Price drops are a given as the current models are grossly over priced and do not reflect the 70% drop in Flash prices seen this year. Right now it looks like a case of Apple trying to recover as much profit as possible from the devices.

In any event I'd do nothing until after the SDK is released. If any thing is to happen it would either follow that or be tied to the SDK release.
    My best Guess is a new machine before the end of summer and a revised Touch by the end of fall.

Dave

12. wizard macrumors 68040

Apple might not be able to stop VoIP though even there I'm not sure. What they could do though is to make it a lot easier. They could do that by simply making use of the Audio in/out jack on the iPhone.

As to a video/still camera I can see the demand, the problem is that Apple still needs to recognize that many of us have issue with the carry of cameras. It is a security issue in many places.
    Apple very much needs to look closely at consumer demand. I suspect that if they did so the next rev of the Touch would be similar to what we go now, with enhancements you can see on the surface.

Dave

13. wizard macrumors 68040

I still say if you need iPhone features then buy an iPhone!

In any event I don't really consider a camera to be a "phone" feature. My biggest problems with cameras is that they are not permitted in some locations. So if Apple does add a camera it best be on a second model. I understand the need but at the same time hope that there is a similar need not to have the camera. In fact Apple has people buying Touch's simply because an iPhone with camera isn't viable!
    To be perfectly honest I haven't inventoried cell modems lately. I would think the easy way to do this would be to get a cell modem that can go on a WiFi network. At least with the current iPod Touch.

Long term what is needed is a Touch with Bluetooth or a Host USB port. Then you could either use a cellular modem or a cell phone for your connection.
    Yeah I know what you are saying but it is hard to make this appear sensible considering the high cost of cellular networking. At least for an iPod and the low cost of WiFI hot spots. Apple/AT&T's arraignment seems to be the better end of the range of charges that can be applied against such services.

This from one days shopping for a smart phone a few weeks ago. Unfortunately I got more shuck and jive then I'd get at a country carnival. I haven't been back so maybe there are better arrangements out there. I know Clearwire is in the area but I have other concerns about them.

DAve

14. tonyshucraft macrumors regular

I live in wyoming. Wifi exist only at the local school(and my house for me) and even though I know the password to the connection at the school, I don't go there anymore so yeah.

15. stark2051 macrumors newbie

Maybe it's just because I don't want to see a hardware update as I am about to buy one myself. BUT, I thought one of the big points with iPhone/iPodTouch was that their success would be driven by software development and the flexible interface? Not new hardware every 8 months. My guess, (grossly un-educated and from an outsider), is that there will be a firmware update with the SDK. Especially when you consider the addition of the 32gb model that marks a commitment to the current hardware design. This is just my speculation/opinion, but yeah, I believe that Apple is focusing on creating solid hardware/GUI for developers to work with as of yet. These products aren't even a year old, I dont know, just my opinion.

16. liptonlover macrumors 6502a

I don't know what apple has planned, but we need to remember that the itouch and iphone are not just an ipod or a phone. They are development platforms, and hightech high-end ones at that. If people need 64gb just for their music/videos/photos, what are they going to do when they get an iphone and start loading all that data from all the apps, save data, memos, links, emails, etc.. And then you have the 3rd party apps, who are having to be refrained from going past 2gb. This tells me both that apple realizes the devices don't have enough memory, and that they're likely to add more.

17. qacjared macrumors regular

Look at the iPod Touch/iPhone as a mini mac and it all will make sense. Apple will keep updating storage as flash prices come down and will probably introduce a TouchPod Mini. But the real updates are in software. Look at the Version releases as versions of OS X except for the iPhone/Touch.

This is what Apple Marketing told me:

Get Time Machine for your MacBook for $129 at your local apple store.
    Get 3rd party apps for your iPod for $9.99 on the iTunes Store.

Give yourself a new mac with snow leopard for $49.99.
    Give your iPod a facelift with OS X iPhone 3 Serval for only $9.99 on the iTunes store.

The next update for the touch is coming july 11. are you ready?

18. Fuchal macrumors 68020

You probably won't see an iPod Touch revision until the next revision of the iPhone, when they shake up the design a bit I would assume. In another year the current iPhone design will start to get a bit stale.

19. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Just before Christmas to boost sales, maybe around September time like they did last year.

20. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Hardware update, who knows,software update I hear is 7/17 for $9.95 which will give you every thing but phone and camera

21. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

... And Bluetooth and connectivity options other than WiFi ;)

22. nlivo macrumors 6502a

I reckon september...but I wouldn't have thought that 2 weeks ago. I only think that a september revision will happen because of the current prices of an iPod touch in comparison to an iPhone.

23. HP3000HYD macrumors newbie

HP3000HYD

How about a "digital camera jpeg photos" straight to the TOUCH ability?

Maybe with your typical USB cord from the digital camera to a cord that goes into the TOUCH, then dwnld directly into the "PHOTOS" FOLDER in the touch?

And theres a million dollar idea for you.

24. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

The iPod touch is a media player/PDA, so it probably won't ever get a camera. It might get Bluetooth at some point, but I just don't think Apple sees any reason to put a camera into something that doesn't need it.

It doesn't have iChat, a built in microphone or speaker, so you can't even make the comparison to the iMac or Macbook's iSight.

25. scialex macrumors newbie

probably around september or october like they did with the ipod clasic