next keyboard update

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by artivideo.nl, Mar 11, 2015.

1. artivideo.nl macrumors 6502

It would have been more revolutionary if they would have replaced the mechanical keyboard by a touchscreen keyboard which you can also turn into writing/drawing device with a styles !!! No mechanical parts anymore, you can spill your coffee on to it (even a few drops of liquid in presents keyboards and you have a short cut and have to replace the electronics).

2. lars666 macrumors 6502a

Touchscreen keyboards are simply terrible for people who use their computers to do serious writing work. Those people need a real keyboard. (At least until I am proven wrong by a touchscreen keyboard with haptical feedback or whatever which lets me type as fast and accurately as on a mechanical one.)

3. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

What you are describing is a iPad...

Agree with Lars. Anybody who types blindly with a 10 finger system can confirm to you that a touchscreen is a compromise but until today no replacement for 'proper' keys.

4. artivideo.nl thread starter macrumors 6502

No an ipad has the keyboard and display in one. What I describe has in principle 2 displays, a high resolution one for viewing the result (so you will not sacrifice on real estate) and one for typing/drawing/writing. Also the Ipad has iOS and not OSX.

5. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

So kind of a iPad sandwich running OS X :)

6. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

I very much love the fact that laptops come with a physical keyboard. I don't think I would ever buy one that doesn't have a physical keyboard. I like the fact that I'm pushing buttons as I type. Makes it so much easier to type, especially during long periods of time. I could imagine typing on a touchscreen would get super annoying super fast because I would constantly have to look down at what I'm typing, whereas with the physical keyboard, I never glance at the keyboard. I could type easily without even looking at the screen or the keyboard because I know where the keys are. A touchscreen, mistakes are easily made and thus would take me longer to edit a paper, etc. That's just my two cents. If I wanted a device with a touchscreen keyboard, I would just stick to my iPad.

7. The Phazer macrumors 68030

... Have you ever tried to type on a touchscreen?

Key travel is a pretty unavoidable requirement for a good typing experience given the human hand shape.

8. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

Hmmm, beside being able to spill coffee on it and drawing, what would be the advantage of such a keyboard ?