Next Mac Pro cheaper?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jwt, Dec 31, 2007.

1. jwt macrumors 6502

Any chance the next Mac Pro will have a lower entry point?

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Chance? Yeah. I wouldn't hold my breath though. The thing is being designed like a pretty heavy duty workstation these days. Those aren't cheap.

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Sorry to disappoint you, but I just don't see it happening. Apple doesn't like to change prices too often, and there's less of a reason to do so when we're talking about a high end workstation like a Mac Pro.

4. jwt thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. Penryns are supposed to be more expensive than the current Xeons too, right?

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Honestly, I have no idea. However, chips generally go through a standard cycle of price and cost, wherein the newest chips are always the most expensive and older chips are cheaper. I have no idea if Penryns will be more expensive than the Xeons when they were first introduced.

6. timestamp macrumors 6502

No they are not. The price match while offering more speed and cache in a the smaller 45nm package.

7. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

This is if Apple go with the 1333MHz FSB processors. If they go with 1600MHz processors then they are more expensive, though I would still expect a $2,499 base price.

8. jwt thread starter macrumors 6502

Any chance the current Mac Pros will go down in price after the intro of new ones? Sounds like a stupid question, but look at the iMac. Even though the new ones came with a price reduction and the SR architecture, the white ones are still going for their original price. Who's going to pay more for 2 year old tech than the just released new and cool machine? It doesn't make sense.

9. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Yes. When the Peryns are announced, check out the apple stores.

the current mac pros are GREAT machines and ram costs (which were expensive) are a bit of a unknow with the Peryns. Mac Pro ram pricing now is dirt cheap.