Next Mac Pro will have clovertown or hapertown ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Amethyst, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Amethyst macrumors 6502

Do you think apple will use clovertown or hapertown in next mac pro.
    they are all Quad-core, that apple can build 8-Core line up

2. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

My assumption is Apple is holding off for Harpertown, starting the 45nm transition. Of course, who knows. But, that is just my guess. If that is the case we are looking at like October maybe November.

3. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

Harpertown. If it were Clovertown, it would be out already.

4. volvoben macrumors 6502

Indeed, harpertown seems to be the best fit, and all rumors i've heard indicate that there will be no updates until 45nm. the dual core 45nm options (wolfdale is the name i think?) are sparse and the pricing for faster clocked chips isn't really any better than quad cores...a 'budget' model might use them, but that's not apple's style for the pro line.

I'll go ahead and randomly guess that there will be 3 options just as today and they'll be the same prices, but they'll be:

I suppose they could make 4 options though, as today there are 3 4-core and 1 8-core option...in that case i'll guess:

The prices aren't bad on these chips, $209 for 2.16ghz could mean apple could keep the same motherboard and range of graphics and offer the base model for ~$1500 and still make a fine profit. of course Apple's more likely to keep current pricing though and choose the more expensive chips (2.83 is $690, 3.0 is $851, 3.16 is $1172).

5. thxdave macrumors member

First post here from a relatively new switcher. I'm running a MBP C2D right now but I want to get a Mac Pro desktop. I've been reading a few of the posts here about what the next gen of MP will be and I've seen rumors on other sites as well. One of the things that I've seen rumored is a change of the chipset which will also change the memory requirements. For example, instead of having to install memory in pairs, you'll be able to be a little more random. Also, I've heard that this newer memory would be non-buffered which would be cheaper than the present Fully Buffered memory we are required to use. Any truth these rumors? Thanks for any help/guesses you can offer.

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The next Mac Pros should be using the same memory as the current ones.