Next MacBook Graphics Chip

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BigCatX, Dec 24, 2009.

1. BigCatX macrumors newbie

Hi,

Does anyone know if Apple will continue to use nVidia graphics chips in the near future?

By the time it comes to buying a MBP, I think the next gen MBP will be out.

I'm looking at end of Jan/early Feb to pick one up, and it appears Apple intend to release (or at least reveal) an update at the start of Jan????

Best regards,
    BigCatX.

2. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

That is pretty much the word on the street right now. That the
    new models will roll out in the beginning of this next year. I
    think they will have updated ATi or Nvidia chips in them.

I am secretly hoping for a quad core mac mini coming next year
    sometime.
    I would love that.

3. TSE macrumors 68030

I am pretty sure the MacBooks/Low end MacBook Pros will continue to use the nVidia integrated graphics options. I am unaware of an update to the 9400M yet. Apple seems to completely disregard Intel's attempt at controlling the laptop market by forcing manufacturers to stick to Intel graphics paired with their processors. But Apple will most likely just stick with the nVidia 9400M since nothing better is out from nVidia that is at that cost/energy ratio. Maybe Apple would consider an nVidia 9500M GS/GE.

It is always possible Apple might go to ATI, in the past they used to flip flop between nVidia and ATI. If Apple did go the ATI route, I could see them most likely putting in an ATI Radeon 4330 HD or something similar, probably slightly underclocked.

If Apple goes Intel for their graphics solution, they are going to have A LOT of backlash.

For the high end of things, an nVidia GT 230M or ATI Radeon 4650 seem feesible.

Or they could just stick with the 9400M G/9600M GT combo.

4. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

I totally agree with you! I personally have not liked the intel graphics chips since... dude.. since years ago. LOL. Maybe 10 years ago? Anyways, I think your right, probably slap a 9600 into Mini. Or like you were saying
    about the ATi option.

Mac Mini 3.0GHZ
    500GB 7200rpm HD
    Geforce 9600m or ATi equivelant
    4 gigs ddr3

That would be awesome.

5. BigCatX thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

OK. Personally I hope they stick with nVidia. I don;t want to get into an ATI/nVidia war, but my experience with several different generations of ATI card have just never gone well. :rolleyes:

I intend to install Windows using Bootcamp for MS flight simulator (I'm a software dev) and having seen the 9600M GT, and knowing nVidia in general, I'm not sure whether to wait or buy what I know is currently available.

I'm 95% ready to go buy.

Best regards,
    BigCatX.

6. TSE macrumors 68030

It's actually a pretty well known that ATI has more evolved and overall more stable drivers on the Mac side of things over nVidia... that is on Mac OS X though.

My personal experiences with nVidia and ATI are equal. I generally prefer ATI because I like the ATI Catalyst Control Center over nVidia Control Panel, but that is a very small advantage of ATI... I've had generally positive experiences with both.

If the current machines suit you, maybe save a couple bucks and go refurbished. Or you can wait till approximately January (might be longer) and get the new ones.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

There's been reports that Intel won't let nvidia work with the arrandale chipset. this might result in only ATI being able to provide an alternate to Intel graphics.

8. newdeal macrumors 68020

I have a nvidia 9600GSO in my desktop and I hate the drivers they are so crappy. It seems like its my fault though because just when I get a stable driver that is working good they release an update and then it never works properly anymore. I have it hooked to an older plasma and I need the resolution set to 576p and then I need to resize the desktop width a bit but it seems to at random times swtich the res to 720p at which time everything is cut off the desktop and everything is blurry and I have to go back into the control panel to set it up all over again it is a huge pain. The integrated ATI chip on my motherboard was fine but I needed component out because I have it through a component switch and the ATI doesn't offer that

9. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Interesting replies. I am torn though, I have always liked nvidia
    slightly more than ati... You know, the only thing I really am crossing
    my fingers about is a significant jump. I mean i hope the next chip
    is at least a big boost from the geforce 9 series. The gpu needs a
    kick in the butt in the Apple lineup! The 9 series is fine for a few things
    and some games, but I want to see Apple be a serious contender. A
    yolked out Mini with an amazing GPU and higher CPU speed on each
    main cpu core, would be just gravy.

Who knows though. I just hope they simply don't devote all their
    resources to the iSlate or whatever they are releasing next year tablet
    wise. I do however like my little Mac Mini I just bought. I only got
    the base model, and threw a 7200 drive in it, and going to get 4 gigs
    of ram tomorrow, but the little thing is nice and fast!!