Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaoCao

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I can't see them using the Sandy Bridge. Not only its IGP isn't that good (and they chose graphics over processor last time), but it'll also be a very new technology. Apple typically doesn't use techonology the minute it comes out. In fact, it has a fame of being sort of a late adopter.

Out of curiosity, do you know how Sony Vaio Zs manage to have iX + Dedicated graphics on a 13''? Do they sacrifice battery power?

Unfortunately. Notice my last phrase. I said "the least unlikely". Not "the more likely". I do hope it's my pessimism talking louder than my realism, though.
The Vaio Z has no optical drive, optidrives are big and heavy
;) That is awesome! So it does seem the Sandy Bridge set has some nice graphic powers. Any idea when new info will come out?

Also, I agree with you regarding the release date. The average of the last 4 or 5 MBP releases point to a January/February release, not a late-2010 one.
yeah I'm seeing a Jan/Feb update
This would be the perfect opportunity for AMD to step in and provide Apple with a quality power-efficient mobile CPU, giving Apple (and others) a choice of AMD or Nvidia graphics.
AMD lost the P/W recent, because Ivy Bridge is coming next year and AMD just got to 32nm

5) Apple get iX and dedicated by ditching the Optical Drive and the 13" and may or may not include a USB Superdrive

Perdification

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2010
If apple would just get rid of dinosaur optical drives then i don't see a problem why a core iX, dedicated graphics, bigger battery and maybe a larger fan can go under the hood of the MBP 13'. The only problem is that it might be very close to the performance of the 15' and 17', which apple might not like, or that as an entry level notebook, the pricing and status forbids that. But then again they could make some of these options optional and customizable.

CaoCao

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
If apple would just get rid of dinosaur optical drives then i don't see a problem why a core iX, dedicated graphics, bigger battery and maybe a larger fan can go under the hood of the MBP 13'. The only problem is that it might be very close to the performance of the 15' and 17', which apple might not like, or that as an entry level notebook, the pricing and status forbids that. But then again they could make some of these options optional and customizable.
If they would include an external optical drive I would definitely support it.

The bigger issue is MB vs 13" MBP performance

Blues003

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
Yes, I totally forgot about ditching the optical drive. I doubt Apple will do that, though.

One thing that struck my mind: considering Apple tends to alternate between small and big updates, and that last update was a big one... doesn't it sound kind of less likely for Apple to do a big update again? (change to Sandy Bridge) Though I guess tendencies are just tendencies, and not a rule they can't ignore under circumstances like these...

EDIT: I just thought... maybe last MBP 13''s update can be considered a small one? :\ xD

DVD9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
The Vaio Z has no optical drive, optidrives are big and heavy

Sony Z specs

Standard optical drive. Blue-Ray burner as an option.

Apple should drop the optical drive, install an i5 processor, and two USB 3.0 ports and an HDMI jack on the side where the optical drive slot was. Also make separate audio in and out jacks. Also a larger battery.

i3 processors are crap, the lifeblood of $600 laptops.
--

Perdification

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2010
If they would include an external optical drive I would definitely support it.

The bigger issue is MB vs 13" MBP performance

Even if they don't include an ext optical drive like the MBA, i'd be happy to fork out another $100 or so bucks to buy one. At least there's no compromise on battery cpu and gpu.

Perdification

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2010
Yes, I totally forgot about ditching the optical drive. I doubt Apple will do that, though.

One thing that struck my mind: considering Apple tends to alternate between small and big updates, and that last update was a big one... doesn't it sound kind of less likely for Apple to do a big update again? (change to Sandy Bridge) Though I guess tendencies are just tendencies, and not a rule they can't ignore under circumstances like these...

EDIT: I just thought... maybe last MBP 13''s update can be considered a small one? :\ xD

May I ask, why don't you think they won't drop the optical drive? From the looks of it, it'd be more profitable for them as they could sell off more external drives if they do it like the MBA.

Perdification

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2010
Sony Z specs

Apple should drop the optical drive, install an i5 processor, and two USB 3.0 ports and an HDMI jack on the side where the optical drive slot was. Also make separate audio in and out jacks. Also a larger battery.

--

YESS YESS YESS, I couldn't agree more!!! But maybe they just don't want to sabotage the performance of the 15' and 17'. Imagine a 13' MBP having more power than a 15' or 17'? That'd be interesting though, but i hope my laps won't burn from using it, hah.

Hisdem

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
South Florida
YESS YESS YESS, I couldn't agree more!!! But maybe they just don't want to sabotage the performance of the 15' and 17'. Imagine a 13' MBP having more power than a 15' or 17'? That'd be interesting though, but i hope my laps won't burn from using it, hah.

Seconded, but for me at least MDP>HDMI. And USB 3 can go to hell, FW or Lightpeak. USB 3 may be faster but using CPU is NOT an option.

CaoCao

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Sony Z specs

--

And only Sony can achieve it
Vaio Z teardown
img_1522_vaioz.jpg

On the far right is a "quad" SSD that has four chunks in Raid 0, look at the size, this capitalizes on Sony being an SSD maker, plus not user replacable

img_1494_vaioz.jpg

new fan on right, very creative

scaled.IMG_1042.jpg

is it me or does that top case look remarkably similar to Apple with a hint of fugly?

img_1513_vaioz.jpg

OMG look at optical drive!

PS I'm totally supporting kill the ODD (see above image)

Perdification

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2010
And only Sony can achieve it
Vaio Z teardown

On the far right is a "quad" SSD that has four chunks in Raid 0, look at the size, this capitalizes on Sony being an SSD maker, plus not user replacable

is it me or does that top case look remarkably similar to Apple with a hint of fugly?

PS I'm totally supporting kill the ODD (see above image)

Gosh the fans sure look like throwing stars nowadays. They look like if they flew out they'd kill someone. Oh and the ODD, disgustingly big. There's no reason why apple should keep it in the MBP 13' and then complain that there's no space. If they took it out, we'd have a core iX, dedicated Gpu, 11 hour battery and probably a 1.8kg MBP 13'. Looks awesome to me, doesn't it? I don't mind them bumping up the price a little for all these specs. Apple claims that they gave us killer graphics, at the expense of the CPU? And the CPU at the expense of an ODD? Seems like too big a sacrifice to make. Anyway, nice one CaoCao, great post.

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
Although the Z has a discrete GPU, it manages to do so by being 35% thicker than the MBP13. The Z also uses a 50ish watt-hour battery compared to the MBP13's 63.5 watt-hour battery.

Both Apple and Intel have realized that GPU is becoming more and more important in computers. This is why Intel has locked out nVidia in their licensing game (at the cost of consumer choice).

Apple has a few choices to make for the next MBP13.

1. Pressure Intel to rebrand C2Ds to iX processors (and continue making them of course). Apple WILL NOT go backwards in terms of GPU for the MBP. The MB is on a different upgrade schedule, and it would have the GPU performance advantage if the MBP loses the 320M which is very unlikely.

2. Apple will forgo the slot-drive in favor of a discrete processor and killer battery life (i5 Processor + 330M or newer variation).

3. Apple will have a complete chassis refresh that would allow them to add a discrete GPU into the MBP13 without losing anything else.

Personally, I'm hoping for #3. It seems that the unibody days are numbered in terms of weight and looks. 2011 would be the year if we go by previous updates that the chassis should be upgraded (2.5 to 3 years). All sights are on Apple with it's newly found press wowing abilities. This new MBP will bring hoards of new customers and potentially change the laptop industry as we know it.

New chassis will include iPhone 4 antenna technology ;)

fpsBeaTt

Suspended
Apr 18, 2010

In what manner or sense was the last update at all considered "big"? It was an atrocious update which brought a barely noticeable graphics bump and I guess (kindly speaking) a decent CPU update. All in all, nothing much changed and was a big disappointment; there was no way I was going to shell out $2300 for a 2.53GHz i5 and GT POS 330m. The next update, although minor in CPU power, will bring a major GPU update methinks, making the switch to the cooler and more powerful ATI cards (the GTX 480 m uses 100 watts compared with 50 watts for the mobile 5870, and only gets 5% better performance).

ninjaslim

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
Do the ultra low-voltage Core i chips come with an integrated GPU? If they don't, then Apple could cut a deal with Intel to produce those, but set their standard clocks at what they would be if Turbo Boost were activated. It would make sense because at those clock speeds, those chips would still provide performance improvements over the Core 2 Duos that Apple is using right now. Additionally, the increased heat output wouldn't matter much as it would still be lower than that of the Core 2 Duo, and Apple would have room to include a better GPU.

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
Do the ultra low-voltage Core i chips come with an integrated GPU? If they don't, then Apple could cut a deal with Intel to produce those, but set their standard clocks at what they would be if Turbo Boost were activated. It would make sense because at those clock speeds, those chips would still provide performance improvements over the Core 2 Duos that Apple is using right now. Additionally, the increased heat output wouldn't matter much as it would still be lower than that of the Core 2 Duo, and Apple would have room to include a better GPU.

All iX chips have iGPUs in them.

Perdification

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2010
Although the Z has a discrete GPU, it manages to do so by being 35% thicker than the MBP13. The Z also uses a 50ish watt-hour battery compared to the MBP13's 63.5 watt-hour battery.

Both Apple and Intel have realized that GPU is becoming more and more important in computers. This is why Intel has locked out nVidia in their licensing game (at the cost of consumer choice).

1. Pressure Intel to rebrand C2Ds to iX processors (and continue making them of course). Apple WILL NOT go backwards in terms of GPU for the MBP. The MB is on a different upgrade schedule, and it would have the GPU performance advantage if the MBP loses the 320M which is very unlikely.

2. Apple will forgo the slot-drive in favor of a discrete processor and killer battery life (i5 Processor + 330M or newer variation).

3. Apple will have a complete chassis refresh that would allow them to add a discrete GPU into the MBP13 without losing anything else.

Personally, I'm hoping for #3. It seems that the unibody days are numbered in terms of weight and looks. 2011 would be the year if we go by previous updates that the chassis should be upgraded (2.5 to 3 years). All sights are on Apple with it's newly found press wowing abilities. This new MBP will bring hoards of new customers and potentially change the laptop industry as we know it.

Heh, everyone's hoping for anything except option 1. I would already be extremely thankful if they gave us option 2.

Blues003

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
May I ask, why don't you think they won't drop the optical drive? From the looks of it, it'd be more profitable for them as they could sell off more external drives if they do it like the MBA.

I doubt they'll "risk" selling a laptop without an ODD. It's not like I don't like the idea: I do. The superdrive doesn't read Blu-Ray anyway, and there are some nice readers at a reasonable price already. Furthermore, it'd give them the option for iX + dedicated GPU, without the extra size and weight of a Sony Vaio Z.

Now my reasons: Most laptops have ODDs and it may be regarded publicly as a "fail" on Apple's part not to include it. While I don't agree with this, the general public would hardly understand what's at stake here, performance-wise. Also, I don't see them distributing OS X on a SD Card.

To finish, Sandy Bridge's article on Anandtech.com mentioned Sandy Bridge's price will be quite attractive. I do not like the idea of an Intel IGP (even with its promising early results), but the cheaper price also might counter your idea of non-ODD-laptops being more profiteable. Thus, I think the ODD will be present for some more releases.

Seconded, but for me at least MDP>HDMI. And USB 3 can go to hell, FW or Lightpeak. USB 3 may be faster but using CPU is NOT an option.

Lightpeak will be out only in 2012, and USB 3.0 won't be a standard with Sandy Bridge. Unfortunately, I believe the chances of seeing these new ports will be small in the next release.

I kind of doubt #3. The Unibody model is the result of a severe and detailed optimization process. In addition, it seems Apple's "tradition" of refresh consist on longer periods of time.

I am hoping for #2, to be honest. Either that, or Sandy Bridge in case it does correspond to Anandtech's article (and ONLY if it does). It'd be a reasonable CPU update (C2D to i3/i5), and a minor GPU update: in the article, it scores above ATI 5450, a graphics card that is below the 320M; however, considering it was running at lower MHz and with beta drivers, the general idea is that it'd be superior to the NVIDIA 320M.

In what manner or sense was the last update at all considered "big"? It was an atrocious update which brought a barely noticeable graphics bump and I guess (kindly speaking) a decent CPU update. All in all, nothing much changed and was a big disappointment; there was no way I was going to shell out $2300 for a 2.53GHz i5 and GT POS 330m. The next update, although minor in CPU power, will bring a major GPU update methinks, making the switch to the cooler and more powerful ATI cards (the GTX 480 m uses 100 watts compared with 50 watts for the mobile 5870, and only gets 5% better performance).

Hey, it's not like I thought it was a big update. Apple tends to alternate between Big and Minor updates, and according to that tradition, that one would have been a "Big" one (and C2D to iX on the 15'' and 17''s can be considered big, to be honest). But if you read my post attentively, you'll see I actually equationed the possibility of the 13'' update having been actually a small one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.