Next Macbook Pros

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by issiciby, Mar 11, 2011.

1. issiciby macrumors newbie

hello everyone,
    i know this is a fairly hard question and a pretty early question considering that new macbook pros just came out. I want to buy a macbook pro 13 inch for university which will start in september. Right now i have got a 15 inch but i want to change to a 13 inch.
    I will either buy now or wait until september if a new one comes out. Does anyone have any idea if there will be a another macbook pro coming out this year? thanks

2. fineaddme macrumors regular

no one here knows any insider info its all complete guesses
    if you need one now buy one if not then wait

3. endless17 macrumors member

has Apple ever updated their MBP line twice in one year?

without googling, my instincts say to highly doubt it.

4. DePaulBlueDemon macrumors regular

DePaulBlueDemon

5. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

The MBP has been updated twice a year for most of its lifespan – 2010 was an exception. You'll see MBP updates when Intel releases updated Sandy Bridge chips or upon the release of Ivy Bridge.

6. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

2007 is another exception. But I think it's becoming clearer that Apple would rather spend most of it's time on iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad than it's Macs, and they may just become content with yearly updates for each line.

7. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

I'd be happier with that. At least, I won't feel so outdated every 6 months. :D

And for the OP. Don't worry too much about updates, they'll always do it. All the laptops they have had release since 2009 are more than enough for university work.

8. paleriderc2d macrumors member

Its safe to assume that the next 13" MBP will also have integrated Intel graphics which seems to be the major cloud hanging over the 13" models. At this point, it should be accepted as the 13 inch standard and no matter the amount of wishing or hopeful thinking is going to change that.

But I must say this about 13" Apple notebooks: they travel well. I used a black MacBook core duo to get through my undergraduate degree, and I just picked up a C2D 2.66 to do my graduate degree in history. The black MacBook is still in service as my wife has chosen to adopt it and install Snow Leopard on it.

Whether you buy it now or later will simply equate to how soon you will get to enjoy it!

9. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

A redesign definitely not. Maybe a spec upgrade? Would be possible but even that is fairly doubtful. Buy now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Very true. IGP only, almost certain. However, they should be pulling quads.

Expect CPU performance increases of 60-80% in the next update (I'm thinking it will probably be in ~11 months) because of Ivy Bridge quads. Expect GPU performance increases of 30-50% over the present Intel integrated GPU.

Anything else is speculation. Maybe redesigned case, maybe standard SSDs, maybe no optical drive, etc.

11. Sycren macrumors newbie

Actually I would suggest waiting until the summer so that you get the 'back to school' deal with a free ipod touch. By using this and education discount (through acceptance letter for uni) you should be able to shave a few hundred from the price..

Other than that, the redesign is speculated to be next year. Although many may disagree, the first year of uni will probably not be as hard or demanding as the later years and so if you can keep your 15" for another year you may save. It would seem highly likely that the next upgrade for the 13" will include a better screen and of course a better battery amongst other things that will help in a study environment.

12. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

there wont be another refresh- be happy with the lastest one

wit till sept before you buy, apple do a deal for students where you get a free ipod with a new mac

13. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

If Apple will do a MBP refresh next winter, I doubt we'll see Ivy Bridge with the machines. According to Anandtech:

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4205/the-macbook-pro-review-13-and-15-inch-2011-brings-sandy-bridge/14

So I'm guessing we'll see Ivy Bridge Macbook Pros on the next Tock. But I'll be pleasantly happy if I'm wrong and we'll see Ivy on the next Tick. Let's keep our eyes open on the Intel Roadmap.

14. -LikesMac- macrumors 6502

15. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

The new MBPs will come with more cores to provide bigger housefires due to overheating than previous models

16. issiciby thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply everyone...
    one last question, I am planning on going for an SSD, the one apple sells them with seems to be overpriced so i think i am going to get one from newegg etc and put it on the laptop myself. Which SSD is recommended, i will probably go for a 128gb one