next macbook update?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kylep6190, Nov 5, 2007.

1. kylep6190 macrumors member

I know that the macbooks where just updated, but when do you think the next one will be? and will it be a big upgrade or a small one like the most recent one?

2. tingly macrumors 6502

next spring or summer. not sure what they could do to have a major upgrade, maybe a different looking case or different material, but the same stuff inside. The next biggest thing I can think of would be osx 10.6 that makes the touchpad work like an iphone touch screen, even if it's still just a pad.

3. MezicanGangxtah macrumors regular

nobody knows, your guess is as good as anybody ,if you need one just buy it now and if you keep waiting like a sitting duck you will be foolish because their will always be a newer better faster one coming out eventualy someday, you know what I mean?

4. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

That...would be impossible. First, Apple won't be giving us 10.6 for maybe two years. Secondly, that kind of functionality is impossible through a software upgrade...it would need to be a hardware upgrade.

OP: I don't know, but Macworld is a good guess. Really though, it is perfectly fine to buy now. I doubt the case will be re-designed to something else, considering the current Macbook case is less then 2 years old.

5. antibact1 macrumors 6502

You're a moron. No one has any idea what Apple is doing. I think that would be clear by now. A new update just came out. If you need a MacBook, buy one.

6. Tomikai macrumors newbie

Tomikai

Hello

the next possible upgrade would be at macworld in january. Ive been waiting to buy a macbook so within a few weeks ill be getting one... care to join me in becoming macbook owners!?

Huurahhh! soon ill be typing on a powerful computer rather than an 800mhz power pc =)

7. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

My best guess...
    MacWorld 2008

*Eye of the Tiger starts playing*
    Steve Jobs walks on stage,
    fog washes up on stage and consumes the floor.
    up from the ground comes a big glass box with another white box inside
    Steve Jobs gets to the middle of the stage in front of the box
    music and lights fade
    the spotlight rests on Steve's head making him look heavenly.
    "Today, we will give birth to a whole new line of Pro models"
    Throughtout his speech he brings out the new MacBook Pro
    and then the Mac Pro, and a new ACD
    "Ladies and Gentlemen, one last thing"
    *Steve Snaps his fingers, the glass shatters and the white box bursts into flames revealing a smaller aluminum box inside*
    "I think you're really going to like this one"-Steve
    *reveals brand new MacBook*
    "That is all*
    Smoke shoots up from under Steve and he disappears .
    *Beautiful Day by U2 starts playing*

8. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

Would you consider an ultaportable a "macbook" update

9. tingly macrumors 6502

Thanks for summing up what I said. So it's possible after all ;)

10. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

Or you could just buy it now because there won't be an update at Macworld in January.

11. kylep6190 thread starter macrumors member

Damn chill out, I never said anywhere that I was waiting for an update. I am not gonna have enough money until next summer so I am just wondering what people THINK the macbook might be like by then

12. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

what's your problem?:rolleyes:

this is a rumor site. and speculating what the next product looks like and when it's released is a FUN thing to do.

13. ruku macrumors member

the SR chipset will take a penryn

theyve just designed a new logicboard for the current case which will take the yet to be released penryn cpu so i think it could be quite a while before the case is redesigned. having said that, im not sure if this would be a factor for apple but its something to think about.

14. whirlpool macrumors member

in my opinion, the next upgrade won't be until half a year's time.

I also believe that the upgrade will be further incremental, with little hardware changes...

I mean, 2.2ghz santa rosa... any jump that wasn't incremental would just walk straight into macbook pro territory.

15. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Sorry but the latest revision was somewhat major since the MacBook got Santa Rosa and the X3100 GPU upgrade. It can now support 4GB RAM and has better graphics. The next upgrade will be to the Penryn processors, and my guess is that will come about between June and August next year, in time for the school season, but could take as long as September.

16. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i think that the macbooks are always 6-9 month behind the MBP's in terms of CPU or logic board.

the MBP will see penryn processors in January earliest. So i would expect the MB to get a penryn processor in May or even October next year. but then the jump from a 2.2/2.4 C2D to a 2.4 Penryn is rather small. maybe if you throw in a LED display, blue ray drive and the option of a Solid State HD (i doubt it) then this could be considered a major update. i don't know if we could expect a better GPU.

and honestly, only a better GPU would improve the MB substantially (for gamers). the rest amounts to 10-20% better performance at best. and i wouldn't wait because of that.

17. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

When it happens.

18. Nick12945 macrumors regular

I second that!