Next MacBook update

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by squaremon, Jan 18, 2008.

1. squaremon macrumors regular

squaremon

hi I'm planning to get a new MacBook but since apple introduce the mulit touch on track pad would there be a MacBook update or revision anytime soon?

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

3. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

They got updated in November. Won't happen again for a few months yet.

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Indeed May seems to be a popular month for the macbook to see an update.

Also, I highly doubt the macbook will see multi touch trackpads within the next 6 months. This is a very new feature and is only in 3 of Apple's products (iPhone, iPod touch, and Macbook Air). Considering how "cutting edge" it is, the macbook pro is far more likely to see it first, followed by the macbook at some point after that.

5. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

What's to say mt is ever making it to other MacBooks? Are we thinking that this is the brand new standard for MBs and will just eventually trickle to the other models?

6. squaremon thread starter macrumors regular

squaremon

I've seen other BBS and fourms said that the next Macbook will be in aluminum case. So I donno if I should get one now. I've been waited since the last update in nov.

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I think we may see MT eventually, but it won't be for a little while. For now, the macbook/pro lines are still very much "mainstream" notebooks and I don't see that changing for the near future.
    If you need a new computer, get one now. There's no sense in waiting for 4 months for an update that will likely not please you.

8. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

IMO, aluminum is overrated. Buy one and be happy with it.

And please, for the love of all that is good, don't complain that the update wasn't what you wanted.

9. Aranince macrumors 65816

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Not going to happen; sorry to burst your bubble.

The backlit keyboard has long been a feature of the "pro" series (Powerbook and now macbook pro). It is most likely going to remain as such for the foreseeable future.

11. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Don't forget the MBA. :)

12. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Indeed, and the price point indicates just who the MBA is targeted towards. ;)

13. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

But you didn't list it.:p:D

14. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Touché, but the reason I didn't was because I didn't gather that this poster was looking to buy an MBA.

But semantically, you are correct. :)

15. jne381 macrumors regular

I don't know about the touch-pad on the MBA. I'm sure that it will probably come to the rest of the notebooks eventually, but I really don't see why I would need it unless I worked specifically with video or photos a lot.

Aluminum would be nice, but I also like the look of the white machines. However, Apple may decide an aluminum MacBook would hurt sales of the MBA and never make the aluminum MB now.

I bought a MacBook Yesterday, and I have to say it is fantastic, and the ability to up the RAM to 4GB and the better integrated graphics card makes this an awesome machine for the money.

16. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

The only alu MB we were ever going to get, is the one they just made.

17. thinkband macrumors regular

I don't want to be mean but... there is a buyer's guide. Macbook's were just updated and will not be updated for some time.

I think yes, sometime, Macbook's will get a nice update with MT. However the Pro notebooks are overdue on their update and are definitely the priority right now. It is kinda unfair to think that only your pick of the notebook line should be updated every month. Macbook Pro is next. When Macbook pro's are updated, then you can come on the forums and ask about a similar macbook update.

18. mikesway macrumors newbie

What about the new Intel 45nm processor? Would they wait until May to start using that in the Macbook?

19. heatmiser macrumors 68020

No earlier than six months after they start appearing in the Macbook Pros.

20. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Not always. The first C2D macbooks came out only 2 weeks after the first C2D macbook pros.

However, given recent trends in the upgrade frequency, I think it's safe to say that the macbook won't get any new Intel chips until November.