Next Macbook vs Surface Laptop

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by fokmik, May 2, 2017.

1. fokmik macrumors 68000

i wonder what do you think about the new product from Microsoft, and if you think buy this instead of probably late 2017 Macbook?!

2. fokmik, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017

fokmik thread starter macrumors 68000

so the pros and cons in this probable,next 12" Macbook vs just announced Surface Laptop

Pros 12" Macbook
    -more premium design feel and touch
    -usb-c/tb3 with coffelake
    -better trackpad and speakers
    -better battery life in macOS vs Surface Laptop with win 10 pro
    -better display if the upcoming one will use the same 500nits and p3 gamut from MBP

Pros Surface Laptop
    -better screen estate
    -better specs with i5 and i7
    -the ability to have 16 gb ram

Cons 12" Macbook
    -just 1 port
    -480 camera
    -probably no 16 gb ram for those who need it

Cons Surface Laptop
    -Bluetooth 4.0
    -no future usb-c port/tb3
    -the keyboard has a flex to it when you typing that making a little less premium than Apple
    -the screen wobble a lot when you use touch
    -when you are using the speakers up, the laptop vibrates and making a little less confortable when you are resting your palm to type
    -those antenna, apple managed to have no antenna for bluetooth wifi etc
    -less battery if you use full win 10 pro
    -that alcantara without a cut out into the lid to put your finger to open it,means in time, that surface will wear off from the metal chassis

I think with this new product, Microsoft admits Apple is right to make no huge hinge detachable hybrid and build with aluminium case instead of magnesium

3. Dave245 macrumors 603

The MacBook seems to be a nice little portable laptop and one I could see students using. The Surface laptop looks nice but when I saw this it was an instant failure in my mind.

Attached Files:

4. diggy33 macrumors 6502

diggy33

Never will I understand the desire for touchscreen laptops. Its one of the first things I disabled on my Dell Precision 5510, and I'm glad Apple hasnt gone that way with their Mac lineup.

5. vrBrew Suspended

vrBrew

Would be better with a stylus. There are plenty of benefits that other people will find useful with a touchscreen.

6. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

The MacBook is an ultra-portable and so it's the weight, thickness, and comfort that matter most to the traveling executive, daily commuter, or backpacking student.

2.03 pounds vs. 2.76 pounds
    .33 average inches vs. .57 average inches
    Fanless vs. fan

The new Microsoft Surface Laptop weighs 36% more, is 73% thicker, and has a hot and noisy fan. So it's more of a MacBook Air competitor than a MacBook 12 competitor.

I like the look of it, and as someone who uses Windows 10 exclusively on his MacBook 12 I'm going to keep watching what MS does in the traditional clamshell notebook space. The bigger screen is a big win but I couldn't accept such increases in weight, thickness, and heat after being spoiled by the RMB these past two years.

BJ

7. fokmik thread starter macrumors 68000

th
    that need for stylus Apple will soon address in a very nice and comfort way, enabling those big trackpad to support apple pencil...so you are drawing on the base of the laptop so nothing is moving so= best experience
    I really cannot wait,it will be a nice thing to have for signatures and markup in mail and office

8. maerz001 macrumors 6502a

maerz001

I like the concept of the Dell XPS 2in1. When closed inside-out it's very ergonomic. Having on the MB this option by switching to iOS would be nice...