Next Macbook will be Touch Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bushy162, May 3, 2012.

1. Bushy162 macrumors member

I think the internal trackpad has had its time in macbooks. It's clunky and bad for you wrists.

I reckon macbooks will abondon them and just make the screen touchscreen. Multi gestures would be a dream on the screen of a macbook.

We don't have long to wait. The new macbook pros are about to be unveiled.

P.S I have no evidence of any of this, but I 'sense' it.

2. mushtama macrumors member

3. jj48 macrumors regular

It's funny... but I'm sensing the complete opposite.

It might happen one day when OS X and iOS merge but for now I really don't think anyone is ready for that transition. There would have to be a radical redesign of how a macbook was used to incorporate a touchscreen, it would become more tablet than laptop as the keyboard would need to fold away/ detach somehow.

4. New Apple macrumors regular

i doubt

if you use photoshop and you need to put the pointer in a specific small place, with a touchscreen+finger you wont be able, you might need a specific pen (attached to the case?)

the magicpad is nice but you cannot go around with that :p

it's too much of a redesign from the current version to the touch one

Apple need to develop more the Ipad Concept, people must get 'used' with the 'touch life and typing' then maybe somedays with some new ideas, the touch only will work.

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Yes, reaching out and touching a screen all day is much better for your arms and wrists. There won't be a touch based MacBook pro. The touch pad is great and I've never had issues with my wrists.

6. New Apple macrumors regular

7. Keniutek macrumors 6502

Keniutek

If that's the case, then im getting a late 2011 one. I can see people loving this "touch" idea though.

8. mushtama macrumors member

Well the cameras were put on the iPad mainly to use with FaceTime which was introduced with the iPhone 4, which came out after the iPad 1.

I don't see a full touch screen MacBook being developed, as a lot of people don't just use them to browse the web, listen to music etc; an iPad can do that. Try writing an essay or heavily editing a movie/photo purely using an iPad and you'll see why a keyboard and trackpad are still in use ;)

9. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

No. Just... sigh.... no. Maybe casual users would enjoy the touch screen but why would a $2,000 professional machine cater to casual users?

10. meejkim macrumors newbie

11. ScotchWhisky12 macrumors newbie

12. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

You sum it up nicely. It will never happen because of the reasons you list.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Ergonomically its a horrible idea. You'll suffer from fatigue fairly quickly and Jobs stated this on a number of occasions (at least when discussing touch screen on the iMac)

14. beowulf70 macrumors regular

beowulf70

..err.. We've had this debate before. Apple already thought about a touch screen laptop... it's called the iPad.

15. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Exactly. Seriously people, if you think this is a great idea, just try it for 5 minutes. Sit down in front of your computer and start pretending to work like you normally would but instead of using a mouse you're touching a screen.

Imagine the normal scenarios you would be going through and mimic those actions as if you're touching the screen. See how quickly you start to realise how bad an idea it is. If you aren't convinced, pop in to your local electronics retailer and give one of the Windows touch based home PC things a go without the mouse.

If you think that you can achieve everything you normally would with just touching the screen, then I don't think you actually needed a laptop / computer in the first place.

16. New Apple, May 3, 2012
    Last edited: May 3, 2012

New Apple macrumors regular

i think it will happen, not tomorrow, but it will happen
    when the technology will allow it in the most optimized way and people will be 101% ready for it (just like when people were unconfortable to sit in front of a TV the whole day long or in front of a PC writing countless hours instead than living outside an healty life or going on a 2 wheels bycicle (end of 1800-1900)

if you'd ask the majority of people in 1960
    to sit in front of a bulky monitor and try to figure out how to type fast on a keyboard (fast, not look for a letter every 30 seconds) they'd think that has to be the most UNCOMFORTABLE thing to spend your life with.
    today most of people love it.

transitional steps (game changer) : flat screens, bigger flat screens, cheaper prices, people getting into it,
    sons and grandsons growing up with, retina displays, touchscreens, better touchscreens, better systems/OS/softwares, every program to optimize for such working way

compromises (lose tech power ?) but this continues to evolve (Mixing an Ipad with a MacbookPro)

Cook talked about too many compromises for today's tech.
    yesterday tech couldnt build a FLAT screen for less than 2-3-5.000 Dollars, today..., tomorrow!

17. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

This idea has been tried by other manufactures on desktpps, my uncle has one i believe its an HP, its horrible idea and old news....i hope to good apple doesnt try to reinvent a horrible idea

18. toiday macrumors regular

No way! The only thing that may happen is MacBook Pro will be fading out and replaced by MacBook Air. Not anytime soon but that can happen when they can pack more power into the MBA.

19. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Good thing then that OSX has all those giant finger-sized touch friendly controls then. :rolleyes:

There hasn't even been any movement at all to make OSX and its apps more touch friendly, unlike Windows 7/8 where the normal desktop toolbars and window controls have become jumbo sized to work on a touchscreen.

All you have to do to realize why this won't happen is to look over the Human Interface Guidelines for both OSX and iOS to see how much attention to detail goes into making iOS work well with direct touch interaction and how that isn't part of OSX's design goals at all.

20. lamboman, May 3, 2012
    Last edited: May 3, 2012

lamboman macrumors 6502

If only Apple, as well as its competitors, had portable, handheld devices with large touch displays...:rolleyes:

Too many silly threads recently.

21. wiggy1 macrumors newbie

The additional input method would be nice, but in reality, it wouldn't offer the same level of control that can be achieved with a touchpad. I am talking about manipulating objects on the screen, such as Photoshop, Presenter/Powerpoint, drafting, etc. The touch input on the iPad just leaves me wanting when I have fine detail I am working with. So I, for one, would stick with the trackpad. Else I will have to keep a mouse with me.

22. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

23. 7DSniper macrumors regular

Apple already makes this device, it's called an iPad. :)

24. ELA2 macrumors member

Actually I sense the next MacBook pro will be controlled much like Mr. Garrison's "It".

25. hkim1983 macrumors 6502

I "sense" that the next Macbooks will be released sometime between now and 2013. I have nothing to back up my statement, except with my superior intuition that I just had to share with the rest of the world on a forum. Mark my words, I will be heiled as a great prophet for my uncanny vision of our utopian future.