Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
I hope this will updated the the whole computer and not just this Processor and trackpad. The MBP's could use magnetic latches, an updated keyboard, and an all aluminum case. (the top half of the lower clamshell is all plastic right now)

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
Ugh, they could also put this in the old ones, but won't

I am a somewhat happy macbook pro user. I would love to have this feature on my Pro, but I don't expect it. At some point you have to cut old hardware off. And apple is notorious for this, and I know and understand that.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
So where the hell is the mac mini update?

That POS is way more out of date than anything else apple is shipping. Seriously, the only thing left with a combo drive, only 2 gigs of ram, no high speed wifi?

Might as well just kill off the damn thing if they're going to leave it so out of date and uncompetitive with everything else in the marketplace. Shame, since it wasn't so bad when it first shipped.

Why are you so surprised? The last Mac Mini came out at the same time as the iMac, and the iMac hasn't seen an update either. It's always the last of the bunch, it's still using the gma950. Next bump will be to x3100 I suppose, like the MBs received but two months ago. Don't expect it in any sort of hurry.

chedda

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2006
Underwater
hmmm

I could quite easily live without multitouch surely its a resource hog ? i mean how pro is multitouch ? surely more suited to iphone ? i think command r is infinitely better than that cack handed gesture, and whats wrong with the arrow keys this is a gimmick or am i the only one ? heres also hoping for a non air keyboard also ! rooting for the big gpu though and the 2.8 in the 17 incher ....

nnkd

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2007
Cool beans!

Add me to the list of people that are excited for new Macs with new features.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
This is 100% true.

WWDC will focus on new tools and education for adding gestures to your applications. There are a few updates and pieces of magic that have not been discussed but are coming in June.

Also, the rumors are wrong about a laptop revision in February.

The entire line is getting refreshed in June with the new Intel chips coming in May, new touch pads, slightly thinner and lighter, SSD, new keyboards, and other cosmetic changes.

(Do I sound authoritative on the matter? Hmmmm...how odd.)

audioadrenaline

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
Ohio
This is 100% true.

WWDC will focus on new tools and education for adding gestures to your applications. There are a few updates and pieces of magic that have not been discussed but are coming in June.

The entire line is getting refreshed in June with the new Intel chips coming in May, new touch pads, slightly thinner and lighter, SSD, new keyboards, and other cosmetic changes.

June?! We can't wait that long! Surely Apple wouldn't deny an update to their flagship notebook line for an entire year... And aren't SSDs still to expensive to put in notebooks (at least ones that can compete with 120-250GB models now)? Also, Does your authoritiy permit you to comment on the possibility of adding BlueRay drives in June too?

sindrefj

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2008
This is 100% true.

You seem very certain? How can you know this? It is very important to me to know, cause I'm about to buy a MPB, but will certainly wait a couple of weeks if there's an update on the way.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
You seem very certain? How can you know this? It is very important to me to know, cause I'm about to buy a MPB, but will certainly wait a couple of weeks if there's an update on the way.

He doesn't advertise it, but a little bird told me he is being facetious. ;)

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
How big is the MBA trackpad compared to the MB? Anyone happen to know? Just wonder if Apple thinks it needs to be of a certain size to be useful for gestures...

Well, I just overlayed the MBA and MB in Photoshop. It seems the trackpads including the button have the same footprint on both models. But the button on the MBA is much thinner allowing for a thicker trackpad. If you try doing a rotate gesture on a Macbook, it feels awkward because the trackpad is not big enough. Also the button gets in the way of your thumb. I assume the new trackpads all have the MBA's thin button design. Same footprint, better suited for multitouch.

The size of the Macbook's trackpad is blue.I don't have a dead on top view of the Macbook so there's some perspective. The width (x axis) is the same, the MBA's trackpad might be a tad thicker (y axis):
padskg6.jpg

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
...it possible the multitouch capabilities could come in the form of a system software update?
I say "NO".

I don't see Apple releasing an update making the current MB's and MBP's multitouch. That would take away sales from the new MB's and MBP's.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Not surprising Apple is doing this, but if (some) existing MacBooks / MacBook Pros can also support it in hardware, then Apple should release an update for them, as well, IMO.

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
He doesn't advertise it, but a little bird told me he is being facetious. ;)

maybe
but if you buy it now, there will most likely be an upgrade again in june. Your new MBP will be new for 4-5 months time period...

Summer 2008 sees an entire new chipset...ready for back to school deals...

Ryanr14

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2006
MO
New Case Design

Besides multi-touch trackpad they definitely need a case and keyboard overhaul Although you can't say the current design is ugly, i love it. I just think that to match the rest of their products it should happen.

tuneman07

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2007
Anyone have any ideas what the price might be? Do prices go up with these large updates or no?

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
maybe
but if you buy it now, there will most likely be an upgrade again in june. Your new MBP will be new for 4-5 months time period...

Summer 2008 sees an entire new chipset...ready for back to school deals...

Unless you're interested in DDR3, there's nothing to look out for there. And really, at $200 a gigabyte, that's even more than apple charges! ;-)

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
I'd hazard a wild guess that 10.5.2 will include the multi-touch to appease people baying for the long overdue new MBP casing design which will be out in May/June (another wild guess, they can make it thinner due to 25w TDP Penryn mobile chips and Montevina).

or

They'll do the bare minimum. Like they're doing with the iPhone updates. Who knows?

tothelimit

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
South Florida
I would love to see the MBP update in the next few weeks - as I'm waiting for that update to make my next purchase - and sooner would sure better than later. BUT - the whispers of a release around WWDC seem very logical. Especially if we can expect a whole new look.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.