Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Damn you for being so right!!!!

Apple store updated and back on line, now with pink nanos :mad:

The first likely time for a new Macbook Pro would be if Jobs has a special event for the iPhone SDK unveiling. Before getting into it he might announce the update as that will take no more than five minutes. I am not expecting one until NAB in April though.

I was hoping for a "Macbook Air: Now Shipping" - It's still just sitting in a box waiting to be shipped somewhere in China.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
There will be no blu-ray for Apple. Blu-ray is very expensive to build, because it requires all the HW to talk to each other, and it would cut into Apple's HW margins. Additionally, Apple wants to stress it's on-line purchase and rental content. Blu-ray would be going the other way. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't hold my breath for blu-ray.

Unless they were to sell an add-on Blu-ray drive that all your Macs can "borrow." :D

Actually it would be in Apples best interest to add a BD drive to the Mac lines. Then they could lobby to have Managed copy create iTunes friendly versions of the movie (or tv show). This would work becuase noone said Managed copies are suppposed to be free. Plus you have a larger base of persons willing to buy iTunes stuff.

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
Blu-ray isn't just for films. It's also a 50GB storage medium. And don't forget people may want to write an edited film to BR to play on their home machine.

Agreed, but that's what a consumer wants. I was referring to Apple's business plans. They had a perfect opportunity to put blu-ray in AppleTV, where it makes a lot of sense. Not done. They could put it in the mini, and drive sales there (lots of people use it for a media PC). Not done.

Instead, they offer a 1TB NAS, on-line rentals and iPods with giant drives that you can take to auntie's house, and show a movie there. I wouldn't bet my life savings on it, but I don't think Blu-ray fits in their plans. Not saying I know I'm right, but putting in BR hurts their other products, and is also the format pushed by a big-time competitor of theirs. (If I have BR, why do I need Apple TV? I can just download on my Mac, burn to BR, and play through my Sony product). Knowing Apple's "go it alone" mentality (e.g. Firewire) I could see them resisting BR.

Also, BR's expensive to implement and would drive up the cost on their products. Maybe in a top line MBP, but not in a MB or base MBP for some time, IMO.

btw -- if they do an update to the store this morning for pink nanos, does that mean there is now 0% chance of any other updates this week?

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
btw -- if they do an update to the store this morning for pink nanos, does that mean there is now 0% chance of any other updates this week?
That's it for today and almost certainly this week. Occasionally there have been updates on a day other than a Tuesday but these have been rare. Once, a couple of years ago, some major updates (might have been PowerBooks actually) came on a Wednesday because they weren't ready on the Tuesday they were supposed to be released on. But I would continue to breathe and sleep sound for another 7 nights... :D

Besides, I guess if there were updates today we would have heard a lot more about it (considering rumours were pretty much spot on before the MacBook Air). It's just I want a new MBP so bad... :cool:

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
I'd say those of you hoping for a new form-factor (and a significant specs upgrade) for the MPB should be pretty happy, as the lack of any announcement today increases the chances that whatever is coming next will be major. Anything announced today would just have been a drop-processor/HD/GPU.

numbsafari

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2007
Media, PA
My wife's old computer was a G4 1.33Ghz. There was some freeware that allowed her to have a scrolling trackpad like my 1.67 hi-res. She even got a few extra features that i didnt have.

That same program could be theoretically written to support the new gestures.

Could you prove that? I've been trying to find on google any information on whether or not existing track pads can produce enough information to reliably support multi-touch gestures. So far, I haven't found any.

I'd honestly be surprised if this "magically" worked with just a software update. Frankly, I think that if this "just worked" then you'd already see open source attempts at this. There is already a considerable amount of code out there to support mouse gestures, so I don't think it is a problem with being able to implement special algorithms.

Aurum

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2008
Track Pad

Do you think that apple will be updating the input device...instead of a mouse, a track pad? Seems more powerful considering gestures and all.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
I'm sure it's possible, but look compare the trackpad sizes for a second (MBA vs MBP). The trackpad on the MBP is so much smaller, you'd probably run out of space real quick of you did all that fancy rotate and pinching stuff.

For this to work smoothly you just need a bigger pad, which unfortunately also means a smaller trackpad button. I have yet to try an Air out for myself, but that slim button doesn't look comfortable at all.

duykur

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2008
I might be the only one here that wants this but i really hope the macbook pro updates happen in june. By then i will have the money to buy one and hey it won't goout of style very soon.
:rolleyes:

omore1234

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
so we're still not sure if this possible "update" (that might take place in a few weeks) is going to be a new design model or just a small update, right?

if a new design, do you guys think it will resemble the thinness of the AIR? i know it can't be as thin but atleast a lot smaller than the current pro.:apple:

txhil

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2008
Texas
I'd say those of you hoping for a new form-factor (and a significant specs upgrade) for the MPB should be pretty happy, as the lack of any announcement today increases the chances that whatever is coming next will be major. Anything announced today would just have been a drop-processor/HD/GPU.

I lika the way you think!

petercooper

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
What's the big deal about this multi-touch stuff? It's a complete non feature. The right click, drag, and scrolling stuff already on the MacBook / MBP touchpads pretty much covers 99% of what you'd want to do, and I'm not sure I can see how the Sweep or Rotate features are particularly useful, since the arrow keys already do the former, and the rotate is a reasonably awkward hand movement to do anyway (iPod Touch / iPhone is proof of this), clicking Rotate Left / Rotate Right works a lot better. Bizarre feature, not sure why Apple is wasting time with it.

syndalis

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
What's the big deal about this multi-touch stuff? It's a complete non feature. The right click, drag, and scrolling stuff already on the MacBook / MBP touchpads pretty much covers 99% of what you'd want to do, and I'm not sure I can see how the Sweep or Rotate features are particularly useful, since the arrow keys already do the former, and the rotate is a reasonably awkward hand movement to do anyway (iPod Touch / iPhone is proof of this), clicking Rotate Left / Rotate Right works a lot better. Bizarre feature, not sure why Apple is wasting time with it.
For my browsing needs, the only feature I am really clamoring for is the three finger sweep to go back/forward. Will make backing out of the page easier.

Anderson3133

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
I say "NO".

I don't see Apple releasing an update making the current MB's and MBP's multitouch. That would take away sales from the new MB's and MBP's.

I would have to disagree. These updates would not detract from MB and MBP sales, but would detract from MBA sales. Seeing as how now it would have almost no difference from the Macbook which is way more affordable. Therefore, the MBA would be left with even less of a difference between the MB, and Apple is not a company who makes their own products compete against one another.

pcmofo

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2008
New York
If their were going to be a MBP update (and I hope their is) and we assume that it would need to be announced at some event. What is the soonest apple event that it could be announced at?

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I would have to disagree. These updates would not detract from MB and MBP sales, but would detract from MBA sales. Seeing as how now it would have almost no difference from the Macbook which is way more affordable. Therefore, the MBA would be left with even less of a difference between the MB, and Apple is not a company who makes their own products compete against one another.

The MacBook and MacBook Air don't really compete. For the target market of the MacBook Air, the looks, extra 2 pounds, and extra .5" inch on the MacBook simply rule it out, regardless of other features. I wouldn't expect them to even take that into consideration at this point.

Heck, maybe they'll finally give us the backlight keyboard on the MacBook too, since they don't really need it to distinguish the product lines anymore.

jW

Braindead360

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2008
I really hope that this happens soon. I was literally refreshing my browser every fifteen seconds during the Macworld keynote awaiting the MacBook announcements, so I could know when to get on apple.com to order my brand new MacBook Pro. To my dismay that announcement never came.:confused: Now I'm sitting here with what has to be the most irritating feeling I've ever experienced, to know that I have the money to purchase a new MacBook; and yet I'm afraid to spend it on account that I know that there is something that could completely blow the current models out of the water just over the horizon. All I'm asking of Apple is that they just issue an official announcement letting us know that they're coming and when they will be available.:apple:

GUSTO

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2003
Scotland
I really hope that this happens soon. I was literally refreshing my browser every fifteen seconds during the Macworld keynote awaiting the MacBook announcements, so I could know when to get on apple.com to order my brand new MacBook Pro. To my dismay that announcement never came.:confused: Now I'm sitting here with what has to be the most irritating feeling I've ever experienced, to know that I have the money to purchase a new MacBook; and yet I'm afraid to spend it on account that I know that there is something that could completely blow the current models out of the water just over the horizon. All I'm asking of Apple is that they just issue an official announcement letting us know that they're coming and when they will be available.:apple:

I am in the same situation :( I can hold off possibly as late as March BUT THATS WHATS KILLING ME! THE WAIT!!!!!!

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
In addition to the obvious Intel upgrades being rolled out, the only two things I would greatly like to see added to the MBP before it undergoes what will hopefully be a significant revision with Nahalem, are the addition of the MBA's multi-touch ability and magnetic latch. I hope AI and MR are correct in what they are hearing concerning an imminent February update.

basqarl

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
Will it entirely replace the need for a mouse?

Will the multi-touch trackpad replace the need for mouse at all?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.