Next major MBP release - Any ideas when?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Spearbox, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Spearbox, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014

Spearbox macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I'm in no rush to buy a new laptop just yet, but have been window shopping.

I know that there has been a minor refresh of the MBP range, but would anyone have an idea of the rough timeframe in which we can expect to see a major upgrade?

My work is starting to make me use 4k more and more for recording, editing, etc but I don't think that the current MBP would be able to cope with a 4k thunderbolt display at 60hz?

I can wait until March 2015 before I dish out near enough makes no difference, £3,000 on a new machine.

I need a laptop that is slim, light weight and pretty much a workstation-esq machine.

As such I have been looking at the MBP and the Aorus X7 v2. OS doesn't matter to me much as I use Adobe CC on both platforms. That said, I'd be getting it through work, so I can get the Aorus (or any laptop for that matter besides anything Apple) exVAT.

Any thoughts?

2. Artimus12 macrumors 6502

Artimus12

Did you have a look in the Buyer's Guide at the top of the page before posting?

Buyer's Guide

3. Gunny011 macrumors regular

There could be possibility of a major release of the 15 inch rMBP in 2015 - if so, probably will be annouced at WWDC. (June 2015)

The current model has such a beautiful design and is already thin and compact (especically for a 15 inch) - they may just add the next generation processors, more power and reduce the price a bit and keep moreorless the same design.

As you don't need one straight away, I would wait until mid 2015 to see what apple does.

4. Spearbox thread starter macrumors newbie

I did have a look at it, but being only a minor update, I remain cautious of spending £3,000 on a laptop if it'll succumb to a major update in 6 months or so.

I say that as there is a huge difference between the 700M series and the 800M series, I'm a little hesistant. If this was a few months ago, I wouldn't mind so much.

@ Gunny011, June isn't too bad a wait. I'll put my feet up till then.

Thanks guys.

5. Artimus12 macrumors 6502

Artimus12

It seems to me that Apple have adopted an "update" policy of giving with one hand and taking away with the other.

No internal optical drive, no user replaceable RAM or Battery on the most recent MacBooks is testament to that.

Be cautious with that wait. ;)

6. Spearbox thread starter macrumors newbie

Artimus12, thankfully my use is specific.

I've not used a CD/DVD/Blue Ray disc in at least two years.

Memory, 16GB isn't too bad.

Battery, my laptop is always plugged in and set to run at max performance. :)