Next MBA Model Release?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ravencr, Jan 17, 2014.

1. ravencr macrumors member

I'm wondering when a new iteration of the macbook airs are due to release? Anybody know roughly?

Chris

2. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

How would anybody know the answer to this question? Even the analysts haven't commented with their crystal balls about it yet.

3. simsaladimbamba

Many sources point to a Q3 or Q4 2014 or even early 2015 release of Intel's new CPU line up called "Broadwell", thus it will be a while before Apple can follow.

4. yosemit macrumors regular

Can only guess. I would say the next update is in October or earlier. Lenovo, Samsung, and Sony all have ultrabooks equivalent to MBA with retina display, so Apple may have to update MBAs soon to compete. Those ultrabooks have a 3200x1800 resolution, otherwise they're very similar to the 2013 MBAs.

5. ravencr thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. Just trying to figure out whether to get one now or wait a bit. Not sure I can wait another year though.

6. simsaladimbamba

Then get it now. No need to wait unless the current model does not satisfy your computational needs and only the next one will, but that is quite unlikely.

7. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

June

Based on what they have here on MR.

You have a 14 day return period, if it's not working for you take it back

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Earliest will be June but follow Intel's release of the next chipset for fine dial.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

June if they can get new chipsets from Intel.
    They might do a speedbump before then, but it would be very minor.

10. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

I think the MBA will only be updated when Intel's Broadwell is available. Hopefully this is when they upgrade the display to a retina (iGZO) resolution.

If they release an iPad Pro with a keyboard and retina display, I sure hope they realize that are professionals (like me) who will not be satisfied with an ARM processor based compact computer.

11. DarthVader! macrumors member

DarthVader!

Probably around the same time as the prior release, which was summer.

12. psik macrumors 6502

Wait until June, it may come with Retina screen! And also, a more efficient and powerful CPU

13. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Retina will shorten the battery life.

more efficient and powerful CPU? They seem to be selling very well with what they have..........

14. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

I don't see retina coming to the MBA for a while. Right now they have a distinct market for their machines. If you want ultra portability and unparalleled battery life then get the MBA, if you want something more powerful with a premium screen then get the rMBP.

There's no way you can add retina to the MBA right now without hurting the battery life which is a big selling point for it. People would see no reason to get the MBA at that point

15. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

But they sell even better with a retina screen.

The battery life will probably be similar (or even better) because of the savings from the IGZO display and Broadwell processor.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The MacBook Air of the "mainstream" model of the MacBook line. I see no reason for them to move to the Retina display, or using more expensive parts like IPS displays.

Apple would rather anyone who wanted the Retina display to get a MacBook Pro.

17. jsolares macrumors 6502a

Well if they make them IGZO they'll probably spend the same battery than the current TN displays, wonder how much production they can manage though.

They probably won't release an update before broadwell, and that's better at battery, with minor improvements in cpu performance and bigger in gpu.

18. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

They should redesign it to live up to its name: Make it thinner and lighter than the MBP and charge more for the advanced design.

It's a shame that they dropped the 'standard' MacBook and transformed the MBA to the entry level computer. I don't see the MBA ever becoming special as it once was.

I guess is just really like to have an 11" MacBook Pro. The portability of the 11" MBA is not similar to anything in the MBP lineup.

19. michaelsviews, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014

michaelsviews macrumors 65816

I would like to see a 15" and Retina like display but if battery was compromised I'd say just produce a 15" with the same " I THINK " outstanding battery life.

I've been using one for a little over a week and gotten over 10 hours of use, so I have no complaints but the size and size only "13"

Based on this IGZO and if it does come to the MBA will benefit user's in less power consumption of the display which some may know already. If the iPad Air has this display and they just adopted or tried it out I'm sure apple's R&D Mr Ive has allot more on the drawing board.

Point blank if you need the computer go and buy it

You can't please everyone.

20. Jedi Master macrumors regular

After Intel releases Broadwell

release of Intel's new CPU line up called "Broadwell", thus it will be a while before Apple can follow late this year September or so.

Just buy the one that meets your needs and get on with life.

In short not tomorrow, next week, or even in the next few months. If you need one get if you don't then by all means wait.

I really don't understand the question either you need one or you don't and ONLY YOU know the answer. :confused:

21. psik macrumors 6502

I mean I get ya, but you don't know for sure "not in new few months" Broadwell is getting released in Q3 or a bit earlier and the way it is with apple as soon as Intel's chips are released their are placed in their laptops, so June 2014 is still a possibility, though yeah, not a for certain thing.

22. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

The most likely answer would be sometime around June/July during WWDC.

23. grummor macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Would it be worth to hang around and wait until June/July when the "Broadwell" chip is released, i.e will this new chip greatly increase the performance of the machine? If so I will be doing a bit of gaming on the MBA so I could defiantly wait a few months. Apple normally get there hands on the new chips fairly quick right.

24. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

There is not expected to be a significant improvement in CPU performance from Broadwell. Power consumption is supposed to be about 30% less and the GPU performance is also supposed to be improved.

I hope the power consumption savings from Broadwell is used to power a retina display on the next generation MBA.