Next MBP Ideas?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lifeguard90, Oct 22, 2010.

1. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

What do you guys think the next mbp update will have, especially 15" & 17", not 13". First off, I believe the very latest for upgrade will probably be spring March/ April. A summer release in conjunction with Lion highly likely will not happen because for one that time frame would be over 12 months, let alone the refresh cycle around 6-8months. Second, Snow Leopard came out on its own, not with a new computer You don't need a new osx as an excuse to delay hardware to a mega extreme time. Anyway, we will all find out.

Back to possible ideas for updates: Ones I think will happen

Sandy Bridge processors ( whether January or not)- pretty much a given

GPU refresh of some sort- better nvidia card, ATI card, and or option for 1G vram.- very likely, a gpu upgrade 90% time happens

Flash Memory or standard ssd- highly likely, based upon Steves comment on the current air being the future of "macbook"

Longer Battery life- highly likely

Keep the optical drive- quite likely for now, people still use them often

retina display- maybe

- drop the white macbook all together

What do guys hope for, think will happen, hear ne news/rumors?

2. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

Yes, probably.
    Yes.
    No, it would really drive the prices up. They'll wait a little longer till the prices go down.
    Yes. But I don't think it will be a lot longer. Maybe an hour or so better.
    Yes. I think they'll be keeping those in them for a long time.
    No. They'll probably improve the screen resolution but they won't put something as good as the retina display in. It would cost too much and wouldn't really make sense.
    I highly doubt it. It is the most sold model of the entire line.

3. lifeguard90 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your input, long way to go until we know what will happen but banking on SB & GPU updates being a given. Flash memory possibly, but as long as ssd remains as a bto i'm happy. Lower price would be great. Hope rumor mill churns out some possibilities as time goes on

4. applepearpp macrumors regular

My guess is that there will not be a superdrive in future MBP. Given the coming of Mac App store and media streaming, I wouldn't be surprised to see apple take the superdrive out and make room for something else.

I also see apple is experimenting with software-on-a-USB installation. From the point of view of manufacture and storing, USB stick is more space efficient and has a higher practical value (given that it can be used for something else) than a DVD. So we can probably see OS X Lion on a stick rather than in a disk when it is released. Furthermore, Apple might provide a software tool to load Lion onto any USB stick. But i am more likely to be wrong on this one.

That also implies a major update possibly before the release of Lion, and I'd put it somewhere in Feb and March. This upcoming MBP model should have no superdrive, combination of flash memory and HDD, 4GB ram, and higher than average CPU and dedicated GPU given the space for cooling/design. USB 3 is certainly not gonna be there even if Sandy Bridge is available. I also believe a major design update will be coming.

5. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

There will be a optical drive. There are millions of people out there that have cds and dvds that they still use. The reason why the optical drive wasn't included in the MBA is because then it would have been thicker and people could still use their cds on their primary computers.

6. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

I think it would be a huge mistake to cut out the optical drive. A lot of purchasers of the 13" Macbook Pro are students, and at least at my uni, a lot of the courseware is on DVDs.

7. miknees macrumors newbie

They won't cut out the superdrive. The MBA doesnt have it because that is Apple's "netbook". It has to be thin and light, and as power efficient as possible. Physical disks use a lot more power than flash memory. Also, before ANY manufacturer should have gotten rid of an optical drive, they should have gotten some big game developers on board. It sucks to be tethered to an external optical drive just so i can have the disk in. (I realize no-cd cracks are a good option, but not every game has them available, and some games require "keys" as well as disks, like the Sims 3)

As for the design refresh, im not so sure about that one. I would LOVE to see them make an already beautiful product look even better, but that style is still relatively new. But i guess that one wouldnt surprise me if they do refresh it.

Sandy bridge and usb 3, more than likely no :(

SATA 6.0 gb/s that one is a maybe from my pov. It's been around and could be an easy upgrade for them.

BUT i see moving into the same memory chips as the MBA much more likely, Steve made it clear they wanted to move everything to flash, and they've got their new chips that will make it much cheaper than a standard ssd.

I just hope that the new one will have a ridiculous video card so i can play some sick games while i should be studying! ;p

8. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

Did you bump your head?

By March even $600 laptops with their crap i3 processors will have USB 3.0
    --