next MBP product cycle?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by btownguy, Jul 6, 2010.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502a

According to the buyer's guide, the next product cycle for the MBP should come in 124 days. That puts it in the late October/early November range. The last cycle was in April. For those that are more familiar with Apple's product cycles, is it conceivable that there will be another MBP release this calendar year?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

October or November are often used to update the notebook line, but there is always a chance, that it will not happen until January/February 2010.

Apple uses their own timeline anyway.

3. Batman101 macrumors member

4. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

I wouldn't count on it.

5. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

6. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Yep, I agree... There are only two major buying 'seasons' left in the year now: Back to School and Christmas. I don't think you'll see anything new for BTS and maybe a tiny bump for Xmas, but nothing shocking.

I hope next year has more improvements on the Macintosh line. I would like to see some love for the MBA, MPs, and I think we'd all like something on 10.7....just my 2 cents.

Cheers!
    -P

7. Batman101 macrumors member

Then i guess i will wait for the next next update for blu-ray.

8. Gata macrumors regular

Yeah, Blu-Ray's probably not going to be coming to macs.
    Quote:
    "Bluray is looking more and more like one of the high end audio formats that appeared as the successor to the CD - like it will be beaten by Internet downloadable formats."
    - Steve Jobs (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/30/steve-jobs-suggests-blu-ray-not-coming-to-mac-anytime-soon/)
    It's a sad prospect.

As far as other areas are concerned, the most we'll probably see is the updated i7-640M (2.8 GHZ equivalent of the i7-620, and the 640m can go up to 3.4 Ghz)

-Gata

9. alexandero macrumors regular

I still believe Apple will rather get rid of the optical drive in the 13" and 15" MBPs than to add blu ray support, as they want you to use their iTunes Store, plus it'll allow Apple to make the MBP lighter and give it a new look similar to the MBA.

All the people who need to burn a DVD occasionally, they'll have to buy an external drive. But with all these cloud services coming up, plus the SD card slots, most of the users might not even need an optical drive anymore in 2011. At least not on a daily basis.

10. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

I just don't see Apple giving up an optical drive anytime soon. They might have an option to remove it and charge more $$$ for a second hard drive but I think they'll keep the optical drive standard.

From a business stand point, removing the optical drive and just having that space empty would probably save them good money. But too many people still depend on it so they don't want to alienate that group.

11. alexandero macrumors regular

No, they wouldn't keep the space empty - they'd add some battery and make the casing smaller. Imagine a 15" MBA, that's what they are aiming for I think.

And as for depending on a drive - remember how quickly they removed the floppy disk drive in the iMac? It was a big uproar, but only for a few months. People quickly found a way to live without floppy disks. :)