Next Mbp Update Ddr2? Or Ddr3?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by susvart, May 11, 2008.

1. susvart macrumors newbie

hey guys
    i was wondering what are chances of DDR3 being and update in next revision.
    keeping in mind that Montevina platform
    supports RAM for DDR2-667, DDR2-800, DDR3-800 and DDR3-1066 SO-DIMM.
    and what are the main pros and cons.
    from DDR2 to DDR3.
    how much difference would it actually make?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

To be completely honest, I wouldn't concern myself with DDR2 vs. DDR3 right now, as the aging front side bus system in use slows everything down. The platform after Montevina (which I forget the name of) will be the first to use QPI (QuickPath Interconnect, formerly known as CSI - Common Systems Interconnect). Put simply, QPI is a FAR faster replacement for the front side bus system, and will probably make memory the speed barrier again - at which point we will definitely see DDR3 in Intel Macs.

3. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Montevina will use FSB 1066 and also DDR3-1066. Considering this is the next jump in Intel's roadmap, it's what we're gonna see probably in the next MBP. the jump after that is "Calpella," more commonly known as "Nehalem." I've heard conflicting things. Some say DDR3-1600MHz, some say integrated memory controller, so I'm out on that. Here's a good guide:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=446019

4. cmm26red macrumors regular

No DDR3 this year!

I am going out on a limb here (and I was right about the low end Early 08 MBP having a T8300), but I believe the updated MBP coming out late summer/early fall (most likely September) will not have DDR3. While the new model will have the Cantiga chipset (successor to Crestline), this new chipset supports "DDR2-667, DDR2-800, DDR3-800 and DDR3-1066 SO-DIMM." Furthermore, by looking at Intel’s plans for DDR3 implementation (see link below), one would gather that DDR3 is not set for the masses until early 2009. For these reasons, I do not think the Mid/Late 2008 MBP revs will have DDR3 and that this technology will be implemented by Apple with the Nehalem Processor update scheduled for early 2009. DDR 3 is still relatively expensive, even more so for notebook sticks, and 1 more year for prices to come down before it is distributed to the masses just seems like common sense.

https://intel.wingateweb.com/published/MPGS002/MPGS002_100Eng.pdf