Next MBP update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mpb2000, Jun 19, 2011.

  1. mpb2000 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2008
    #1
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

    What are the rumors about the next update to the MBP line? I know I heard at some point it would be new design, as opposed to the spec bumps we've seen the last couple of years, but that's it. Anything else out there? I'm trying to decide if I should jump on the back to school deal this year or hold off until the next update or, if my wife's PC can make it, until the next back to school deal (if there is one).
     
  2. saberahul macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2008
    Location:
    USA
    #2
    No rumors right now that I know off. You're only mid way in the cycle so you're best off buying now. I personally feel that the 2010 MBP and 2011 are very powerful as is and if you buy now you wouldn't regret it for at least 3-4 years. Hence, i took the advantage of the program and purchased mine. Am going to purchase one for my wife next week.
     
  3. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #3
    A minor (or bigger if there is redesign) update in late 2011 is possible but there won't be new CPUs or GPUs until early 2012. It's safe to buy now.
     
  4. mpb2000 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2008
    #4
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

    I realize it's only mid cycle, so it's certainly safe to buy. It's been said that there is going to be an actual design change, like I said, as opposed to a spec bump for the next release (early next year, if things hold true to form). So, since I could wait, I wanted to see if there were any "reliable" rumors as to what those new updates might be. It's obviously early, even for rumors, but it's worth a shot.
     
  5. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

    xxBURT0Nxx

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
  6. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2011
    #6
    That's the Macbook AIR and the MAC Pro.
     
  7. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

    xxBURT0Nxx

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    #7
    nope it's the macbook pro........ just wait

    guess my sarcastic attempt failed :p
     
  8. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

    42streetsdown

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2011
    Location:
    Gallifrey, 5124
    #8
    Sarcasm tends to not go over well on the interwebs


    I believe this is the rumor you're referring to. If you go to the iLounge article it's based on it has one paragraph mostly referring to the 2011 models that have already come out, and doesn't give a specific source. So if we are to see a redesign like this rumor it could be any time in the first half of 2012 when Ivy Bridge comes out. That's anywhere between 6 months to almost a year.
     
  9. macDelirium macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2011
    Location:
    Australia
    #9
    How much of a minor update? ;) I'm ready to buy a MBP now but can wait until late October if there may be an update.
     
  10. mpb2000 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2008
    #10
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Yeah, that's probably the article. Not much in the way of corroboration if that's the only information on the next update. Oh well. Decisions, decisions.
     
  11. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

    xxBURT0Nxx

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    #11
    unless intel releases a new sandy bridge chip with some updated clock speed or more cache, NOTHING.

    I guess they could put new GPU's in them this fall, but I highly doubt that that will happen, there is no record of it happening in the past, and there have been no rumors to suggest that it would happen.
     
  12. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

    DisMyMac

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2009
    #12
    Mid-cycle is good for avoiding quality issues, assuming you research for problems.

    I don't know of any deal-killers such as build-quality or lacking features regarding the MBP, which I can't say about other Macs at this time. Only the price holds me back...
     
  13. anotherdave macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2011
    #13
    The new OS update has been rumoured for July/August. You might as well wait for that.
     
  14. Naimfan macrumors 68040

    Naimfan

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    #14
    Powerbook G5s next Tuesday!

    :D

    Announced for July, and all Macs purchased from June 1 forward qualify for the free upgrade to 10.7/Lion, so that's no reason to wait.
     
  15. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

    xxBURT0Nxx

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    #15
    why would you wait, they are not going to update the hardware in the machines to go with the release of Lion. There is only one mobile processor that Intel offers that would be an upgrade over the top of the line processor already available, but it will not be placed in MBP's because it's a Core i7 Extreme and has a TDP of 55W, compared to the highest TDP's of 45W in the current machines.

    Unless Intel somehow lowers that TDP or produces some new SNB chip, there is nothing for apple to upgrade to. It's very unlikely Intel is going to produce any new forms of SNB chips before the end of the year because they are focused on getting out Ivy Bridge so that OEM's can start using them in machines early next year.

    And if you were saying wait for Lion so that you get the OS for free, any mac purchased after the WWDC keynote qualifies for the up to date program and will receive a free upgrade to Lion. There is no point in waiting unless you just don't want to use a computer until July for some reason.
     
  16. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #16
    Intel usually adds one clock speed multiplier (i.e. 100MHz) after some months.

    There are no newer GPUs and there won't be any until Q4 2011, although Q1 2012 is more likely.
     
  17. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

    xxBURT0Nxx

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    #17
    all evidence that we are likely not going to see any type of update/redesign/refresh until next year :D
     

Share This Page