Next on the Apple's Antenna Performance Hitlist: Palm Pre

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by whocaresit, Jul 20, 2010.

1. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

HTC. Check.
    RIM. Check.
    Droid. Check
    Nokia. Check.

Next up? Apple's going to take a huge shot at HP with the Palm Pre :D

2. samcraig macrumors P6

who cares. They can test every phone in the world and find flaws with them. That doesn't make their phone any less guilty or flawed.

3. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

You are correct.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

But they need to justify their poor performing phone. I mean if they're successful in dragging down the industry then they raise themselves up.

5. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Apple did their song and dance. I think it's best they let it go now. The momentum has already been started. People are death-gripping everything they can get their hands on on YouTube now. And Apple can step away from it, and work on the mods for the 2011 iPhone.

6. feddy84 macrumors member

apples trie to brainwashing.
    and the sad thing is.
    its almost succeding with most people.

as alwayes
    i repeat DEATHGRIP is not connected to iphone 4 design flaw...

7. samcraig macrumors P6

Oh right. And maybe some people will be convinced that there's no problem at all. My bad ;)

8. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

You're missing the point. Apple already stated where the weak spot of their phone is, and they also said you can touch or grip it and affect signal.

What they are doing is highlighting the point that ALL phones have weak spots, they admitted that theirs is probably the easiest to exploit because of the design, either by detuning by bridging the gap or by blocking it with a grip.

It is correct that all phones have weakspots, and it is correct that Apple's is probably the easiest to exploit, but what they are doing is an effective way to at least show people that the iPhone is not the only phone that can lose signal due to our hands.

I think it's a great idea to shut people up already actually. Not because I'm an Apple apologist, but because the whole issue was a mountain made out of a mole hill and it's really time to move on. Either buy the phone knowing what you know, don't buy it, or take it back. Seriously, it's time to move on. Apple is doing damage control, and no one should have expected any different.

9. samcraig macrumors P6

but again - who cares. I can show pictures of lots of people with broken legs - but that doesn't change the fact that my leg is broken. It just buys into the "misery loves company" principle.

10. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Yeah I understand your point as well. I think this goes both ways, the media smear campaign began to make it appear that the iPhone plain doesn't work as a phone, which is ridiculous (duct tape? Please). Apple is making it appear that their phone is no different, which is a little ridiculous. It's weak spot is a little different, but the concept of affecting the antenna by the hand is not, they are just showing other phones also have weak spots, so they aren't really lying. They are trying to change peoples perceptions, and IMO they have the right to do that. Especially after what has happened in the media.

Just my opinion, I don't work in PR with the peoples hearts and minds in my best interest. ;)

11. feddy84 macrumors member

no the are showing that all phones can drop bars if blocking the antenna. DUUUHHH. ofc it will drop. the problem on iphone 4 is that you detune the antenna by touching it. that is not possible on any other phone. that is the problem. not the deathgrip. they use the deathgrip to cover the real problem that only they are affected by.

yes we can expect honesty.
    they have dug their own grave. if they had admitted it the whole ordeal would be over by now. people are pissed of cause of their arrogans and patronizing attitude. here little unruly child have a candy.
    here little complaining consumer have a case BUT remember. there is no antennagata

12. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

poor performing?

..i don't think we need apple to tell us hp blows goats...

13. MSUSpartan macrumors 6502

14. samcraig macrumors P6

Classy? How do you figure. Rather than address they first denied anything was wrong, instructed customers to hold their product differently, diverted attention about the real issue by changing a formula which they, themselves had altered to show MORE bars a few years back and when none of that worked, they dragged their competition into their own crisis as another means of deflection.

You might call them crafty. Strategic. But classy?

15. MSUSpartan macrumors 6502

I was being sarcastic. Apple makes good stuff but they're about the least classy company out there. Take Steve Jobs out of Apple and he's just a nasty old man that no one likes.

16. tesilential macrumors regular

All joking aside the iPhone 4 is the best phone money can buy at the moment!

I typed this from my iPhone while covering the antenna! ;)

17. samcraig macrumors P6

That's subjective. For very cheap I can get a flip phone if all I want to do is make calls. Cheap and just works.

I think what you mean to say - best smartphone bang for the buck perhaps.

18. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

There's no need. It would be like kicking someone when they're already down.

19. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

Ummm no. it's about saying that nobody is above the law of physics.

20. samcraig macrumors P6

that's irrelevant to the discussion. All things STILL being equal - Apple's iPhone 4 suffers MORE than other phones. The tests and Press Conference was a smokescreen. Nothing more.

21. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

Not for me and the majority of ip4 owners. Phone is perfect. You must be one of the .5% :(

22. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I can't find the Palm Pre video at Apple's website?

23. whocaresit thread starter macrumors 6502a

They haven't done it yet.

24. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    As much as I dislike car analogies, that's like saying all automobiles can have accelerator problems if you accidentally bunch up your floor mat.

It's true, but it's not the correct PR answer, especially if it can happen more easily to your model.

It's why Toyota got nailed for trying the same childish "everyone does it" excuse. They finally had to be an adult by taking full responsibility.

To make this whole mess go away, Apple will also eventually have to do the adult thing. But, as with Toyota, their reputation will be tarnished for taking so long to do it.

---
    It's always better to man up right away and take the shorter term hit. Even BP figured that out pretty quickly.

---
    Moreover, by dragging in other phone makers, Apple has unwittingly enlisted millions more people against them on the internet, who might otherwise have not cared.

This is a textbook example of what NOT to do when your company is getting bad press, deserved or not. Nobody likes someone who tries to deflect responsibility.

25. samcraig macrumors P6

As a PR professional (for the past 20+ years) I have said since the beginning that Apple's biggest enemy in this whole fiasco has been Apple.

The press conference - while strategic - was nothing more than asking people to subscribe to the notion that "misery loves company"

I have likened it to another "car" like analogy.

10 people are speeding but you get pulled over. Does that mean others weren't speeding? No. It means that you were caught. Try convincing the cop that you shouldn't get a ticket because "everyone else was doing it."

Apple got caught. And instead, as you said, manning up they denied any issue then when put up against the wall tried to smokescreen their way out of it.

Unfortunately for them - it was transparent to most intelligent people who bothered to pay attention.

I don't doubt Apple cares about their customers. Don't misinterpret my post. But I also think (and this is where my experience plays a part) that Jobs did NOT want to do the press conference. He seemed agitated and annoyed to have to DARE explain himself, his company and defend the design of his phone. Playing the video at the beginning is one example. His responses to the Q&A are another.