Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FilmIndustryGuy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2015
Manhattan Beach, CA
when is the next OS release date potentially? Trying to see if I should wipe my 16 inch to go back to Mojave to fix it or wait for new os to see if it fixes.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Generally it is late September to early October. Although this last one was November. Likely increased testing for ARM plus Intel. Along with all the work related issues caused by Covid. As we are still having problems with lockdowns and getting back to work. I'd expect another late release.

Reactions: Brian33

bd700pilot

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2018
Any ideas on if it will be less ugly and childish than Big Sur? I’m still on Catalina purely for the interface design.

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
Care to explain how that’s obvious? Have you seen it?
Yes.
Look at the history of Mac OS X. When Leopard was released out it looked like Leopard till Lion, Mountain Lion to Mavericks Yosemite to Catalina.
The next release of macOS will look like Big Sur.

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
when is the next OS release date potentially? Trying to see if I should wipe my 16 inch to go back to Mojave to fix it or wait for new os to see if it fixes.
Did the 16 inch run Mojave or Catalina originally? and what is the issue? It could be long wait to get a well rounded OS after Big Sur.

bd700pilot

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2018
You are ASSUMING how it will look. You haven’t seen any betas or leaks. Nice try. Try not to be so certain and seemingly authoritative about unreleased software.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
You are ASSUMING how it will look. You haven’t seen any betas or leaks. Nice try. Try not to be so certain and seemingly authoritative about unreleased software.
Of course it will look very similar to Big Sur. Maybe a bit cosmetic change here and there, but don't wait for big changes.

Last time Apple needed almost 5 versions, until we got the refined UI in Catalina (Yosemite 10.10 -> Catalina 10.15).

Here is an comparison of the UI elements:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The "next OS" will come around September/October.
And, yes... it will probably resemble Big Sur with some updates and modifications...

FilmIndustryGuy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2015
Manhattan Beach, CA
Did the 16 inch run Mojave or Catalina originally? and what is the issue? It could be long wait to get a well rounded OS after Big Sur.
I believe it was Catalina and I remember it running smooth when I got it in May of 2020. Big Sur has stutery issues until I restart. Apps like iMessage will have dramatically delayed typing and clicking after some use. These issues seem similar to using a PC from 1993 with the CPU overheating. Apple seems to have abandoned this laptop too soon. I recently bought a powerful PC desktop and thought I could never use windows again but a PC is very smooth to use with intel.

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
I believe it was Catalina and I remember it running smooth when I got it in May of 2020. Big Sur has stutery issues until I restart. Apps like iMessage will have dramatically delayed typing and clicking after some use. These issues seem similar to using a PC from 1993 with the CPU overheating. Apple seems to have abandoned this laptop too soon. I recently bought a powerful PC desktop and thought I could never use windows again but a PC is very smooth to use with intel.
Perhaps you should put windows 10 on the Mac – it would fly!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.