Next part discontinue: SIM card tray

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lancastor, Sep 15, 2016.

1. lancastor macrumors 6502a

I hope the next part in iPhone we get rid off would be the sim card tray.

SIM cards should be obsolete in the near future with embeddedSIM. No need to carry different sim cards with you. In vacation goto settings an choose a carrier you want.

I hope our wireless carriers and Apple are ready to ditch the sim tray in 2017.

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I am sure the Apple would cooperate but the carriers will not.

3. lancastor thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

So, then your SIM goes bad, you have to replace the phone?

5. noobinator macrumors 601

There will be no sim to go bad.

6. foxconn Suspended

exactly.

freely choosing your carrier is something the carriers DON'T want us to do. they want to lock us into agreements any way possible.

7. lancastor thread starter macrumors 6502a

Deutsche Telekom (another german provider) also offers eSIM (AppleSIM) already: http://blog.telekom.com/2015/11/12/die-zukunft-spricht-esim

8. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I don't see how I can freely choose my carrier if Apple has to vet and determine which carriers are allowed in their AppleSIM "marketplace".

Also, right now, AT&T can lock the AppleSIM to their network so it can't be used with any other carrier. Forget about 2-year contracts, this will lock your device to AT&T forever unless you buy a new one.

I certainly hope Apple doesn't get rid of the SIM card slot until all carriers all over the world support embedded SIMs without locking them.

9. unglued macrumors member

Apple should become their own carrier forget the middle-men and giving us headaches leave that to the Android camp. Apple has the talent, resources, and cash....iMobile.

10. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

11. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Good point

12. BSben macrumors 6502a

I hope Apple can push for a standard that allows the same number to be used on iPhone and Apple Watch, because then Apple Watch could become more independent. All other watches with an e-sim require a different number which makes it a bit pointless, as people can't be bothered to ring all your numbers to get in touch with you. This inconvenience is probably the reason that there is no connectivity other than bluetooth and wi-fi on the Watch (and quite possibly battery life)

13. rawlus macrumors regular

The reason this capability exists in Europe is because governments there have passed law prohibiting carrier locks. Until the .gov here does the same, I think it will be tough to bring this to the US. It's a great idea that is consumer centric but .gov is not about the consumer, they are about the business.

14. rain111 macrumors 6502a

rain111

You know, I don't see the sim-card needed if you're buying an unlocked/sim-free iPhone, why even offer such option in this case for those type of phones?

keep the sim for carrier locked phones I guess?

15. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

No thanks. That will just give Apple and carriers more control.

16. cynics macrumors G3

Apple won't get rid of it because it would limit iPhone sales to Carriers that support it (vast minority).

This would be a headache for me. Currently SIMs don't require any setup at all, just plug them in and they work. A list of carriers in the settings menu would require some sort of log in. I like many people use business provided SIM card, I don't have access to corporate cellular accounts.

That would make international travel a nightmare too. If you are in a non english speaking country you'd be restricted the over priced "eSIM" at the Airport where they can speak English to set it up (sometimes). Currently you can just goto any cell place and point at the SIM slot and have literally no verbal interaction with the employees.

Seems like a solution looking for the problem IMO. Will just cause more headaches and literally benefit no one.

17. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

This already exists for cellular iPads, so I don't think there's anything Apple needs to do beyond releasing a cellular Apple Watch. On AT&T or T-Mobile go to Settings->Phone->Calls on Other Devices to set it up. AT&T calls this feature NumberSync.

I think we're more likely to get an embedded SIM + nanoSIM tray in a future iPhone like the 9.7" iPad Pro.