Next refresh of Retina Macbook Pro 15inch?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ryan6000, Sep 14, 2012.

  1. ryan6000 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2012
    #1
    Apologies in advance if this a ridiculous question but...

    Does anybody have a theory of when the 15inch retina MBP will be refreshed/updated?

    Will they do it when the RMBP 13inch comes out?

    Going to buy a RMBP 15inch and can wait a couple of months if it will make a difference.

    New to Macs and MacRumors so any advice appreciated.
     
  2. PKWY macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2012
    #2
    I think that for the 15" it's way to early.
    New 13" is on his way. But specs will be low.
    Allthough it is a retina, apple want it to be as cheap as possible. So maybe 2.5 4gb retina or maybe 2.9i7 retina.

    I hope they put some better graphic cards inside, and making 8gb ram a standard.
     
  3. Bubba Satori Suspended

    Bubba Satori

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2008
    Location:
    B'ham
    #3
    I always appreciate a good chuckle to start the morning. Thanks. ;)
     
  4. old-wiz macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2008
    Location:
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    #4
    Next update for 15" is probably early 2013 when Intel releases the Haswell chipset.
     
  5. hobbes3113 macrumors regular

    hobbes3113

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2002
    Location:
    NYC
    #5
    So, would it be foolish to get a 13" now? I'm in need, but could probably hold off a few weeks without seriously affecting productivity. (my prior MBP is on its dying legs)
     
  6. SwitchHitter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2003
    #6
    I'm in the same boat. I have an early 2008 15" Macbook Pro with a full hard drive and music on a NAS. I'd like to upgrade to the new rMBP, but thinking I can hold off until Jan/Feb if they update the 15" rMBP and it becomes 2nd gen
     
  7. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

    Yebubbleman

    Joined:
    May 20, 2010
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #7
    The 15" rMBP will most likely be refreshed no earlier than February and no later than May. MacBook Pros run on an 8-10 month refresh cycle. As late as May would be odd, but I figure I'd throw it in as a comfortable outside estimate. You have quite a bit of time with this version of it, and it's still sensible to buy now over waiting.

    As for the 13" rMBP, it will not affect the launch of the next 15" rMBP, Apple will either bring it out soon or wait until the 15" is replaced and just replace the entire non-retina line with the retina models, both 15" and 13".
     
  8. SinisterGoat macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2012
    #8
  9. PKWY macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2012
    #9
    If you see all the rumours, i think it will not last long. If you really want a retina, then can you take the risk and wait a few weeks.
    Apple should release the new macbook 13" retina toghetter with the new imac IMO. But we don't know anything, i was also waiting and keep waiting.
    :(
     
  10. kokako macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2011
    #10
    Expect a slight spec bump to the Mid-2012 Retina 15" in October when the 13" comes out without fail.
    If you can wait a couple of weeks it'll be a smart move.
     
  11. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

    Mabyboi

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2010
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    #11
    Not a chance. They're not going to refresh the 15" until like June, it would be just stupid to do it now. I could see a 13" retina before Christmas but no way in hell will there be a 15" refresh.
     
  12. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2009
    #12
    Apple has been doing a spec bump about half way thru a processor's life cycle. Before the Core i series, Intel had a much longer processor cycle, but now it is yearly and they still did a mid cycle spec bump. Check out Everymac....

    http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/index-macbookpro.html

    Last year the Sandy Bridge processors were released in February, and then around October/November there was a spec bump. I can see the same thing happen this year with the Ivy Bridge processors. Most likely before Christmas.
     
  13. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

    Tankmaze

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2012
    #13
    The earliest update in 2013 i'm guessing would be february, apple could still use the ivy bridge. and maybe late 2013 for the haswell.
     
  14. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

    Tankmaze

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2012
    #14
    Yeah this is not gonna happen, the macbook line is already set for christmas. they won't update it in 5 months after june update.
     

Share This Page